Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Biggest on piste vertical on one lift?

Poster: A snowHead
Interested in a bit of trivia as its always fun to get long runs at high speeds without spending half the day on lifts. So what is the biggest on piste vertical available from one lift ride?

I'm guessing the top cable car of the Grand Montets may be near the top of the list at 1220m ish. The first stage of the Jandri express in Les Deux Alpes must be around 1000m but its a bit flat run underneath. Any others that come close?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there's one in Les Arcs that's the longest black run, can't remember what it's called though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Aiguille Rouge piste (black at the top, then an excellent red until the bottom) is about 2100m vertical. It has a nice bar/restaurant at the bottom to recover in Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, great run - but it's not one lift ride. It's hard to see past the second cable at Grand Montets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aiguille du Midi, I would think....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Guvnor, I wouldn't say that the Aiguille du Midi gave you 'on piste' vertical - and it takes two cable cars to get up. Again, great spot, though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1 wrote:
I think there's one in Les Arcs that's the longest black run, can't remember what it's called though.

rob@rar wrote:
The Aiguille Rouge piste (black at the top, then an excellent red until the bottom) is about 2100m vertical. It has a nice bar/restaurant at the bottom to recover in Smile

Nice run but takes an age to get back to the top using multiple lifts. Biggest on piste vertical is Deux Alpes apparently at 2250ish.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Flaine, up Grandes Platiers, and then down Cascades into Sixt?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vaujany, on 2/3 lifts, main cable car (both stages) then pic blanc cable car.

tunnel black then all the way down to end of la fare black, 2200m
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lift from the centre of meribel to the top of saulire is approx 1300m, that must be pretty close for largest piste vertical off one lift
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scottishskier wrote:
Interested in a bit of trivia as its always fun to get long runs at high speeds without spending half the day on lifts. So what is the biggest on piste vertical available from one lift ride?

I'm guessing the top cable car of the Grand Montets may be near the top of the list at 1220m ish. The first stage of the Jandri express in Les Deux Alpes must be around 1000m but its a bit flat run underneath. Any others that come close?

GM has 1313 m of vertical. Seems to be the biggest in France that serves a piste (AM2 is nearer 1500m). The Jandri has 923 meters of vert.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
scottishskier wrote:
Biggest on piste vertical is Deux Alpes apparently at 2250ish.

Klein Matterhorn to Zermatt is a few metres more than that I think. KM lift is "only" 1000m or so on its own though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Klein Matterhorn down to Valtournenche is even further, 2359m, but again not on one lift.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Gornergratbahn is 1469m vertical on one lift, but it does have stations Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suppose it also depends how high you start - if you are in a resort with accomodation on the mountain, you can get one lift up and ski lower than you started. Or are you aiming for a round trip?
ski holidays
scottishskier, Can you get down to Mont de Lans (not sure where the run to there starts from) from Toura? If so that's 1300m from the top of the 1st stage of the Jandri express.
snow conditions
Need to clarify the criteria a bit more I think. For me it would mean up 1 lift and down 1 piste returning (approximately) to the same village or the same midstation, plateau or whatever on the mountain.

Mayrhofen, up the Ahornbahn and back down the single run almost exactly to the starting point is about 1200-1300m vertical, even if that run is usually closed (might not even be opened any more?).
ski holidays
scottishskier, you may or may not be surprised to learn that La Rosiere can be included in this list. The Roches Noire chairlift from the village goes up to 2460m, from there you can ski continuously down to Ecudets at 1176m. So one lift up and multiple choice pistes down to enjoy a vin chaud at one of the best little mountain bars you could find anywhere.
latest report
The run you refer to andy was I believe opened every day right up until the end of the 2008/9 season. It's very shady and has comprehensive snowmaking so holds the snow very well, even with the valley heating up to 20 degrees C when I was there in April. One to do in the morning however if it's that warm.

The Penken valley descent, however, is not commonly open and takes you to the base of the 'wrong' lift if you're staying in Mayrhofen itself.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-10-09 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Revelation gondala at Revelstoke is 1081m vertical, not enough for record but highest in North America?
ski holidays
Kicking horse only has one main lift, the gondola runs from the base to the top of the mountain - takes 20 minutes and give various options for the descent. 1,260m vertical
latest report
The new tram at Jackson Hole, Wyoming is ~1262m vertical, that would be US champ. Very realistic to run top to bottom laps with that lift all day.

The gondola at Gulmarg, India rises 1330m vertical, but I'm not sure if all of that is regularly skiable by normal clientele.
snow report
The La Grave lift - there's only one (apart from the little drag at the top which you don't have to take) and it gives 2150m of vertical.
snow report
andy, the Ahorn is always open, but can be a bit slushy at the bottom due to the very low altitude (800m or so). At it's best, it is one of the best runs in the whole valley, but virtually no-one does it because the Ahorn is seen as a learner hill and too low for serious skiers... rolling eyes

The new Ahornbahn – Facts & Figures

Technical Data
altitude difference 1300 m • diagonal length 3045 m • speed 10 m/s • carrying capacity 1200 pers/h • transportation time 6.30 min • supports: 2

Europe`s biggest cable
cable weights: load cable 27.6 t (3.200 m long) • contra cable 10.2 t (3200 m length) • 4 catenary cables 97.4 t (3430 m long) – a total of 430 t unladen weight of cables!
catenary cable diameter 70 mm • load cable diameter 47mm
horizontal cable tension force 600

Gondola
diameters: 9.0 x 4.6m • inside height:2.2m • weight: 12t • cabin capacity:max. 160
snow report
That is impressive.

160 passengers Shocked 600t horizontal tension Shocked Shocked That is some bearing system on the end wheels.

I thought the AdM cable car was impressive.
ski holidays
fallliner, correct me if I'm wrong since I've never been there, but it looks from the piste maps as if it has a middle station, so two cables, and technically two separate lifts even if the gondolas/cars/whatever detach at the mid station and re-attach without the passengers getting out... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Plagne - Verdons down to Champagny off the Verdons Sud or Verdons Nord 2500m down to 1250 I believe.

Not a contender but in the same area - Up the Funiplagne Grand Rochette bubble then all the down to Plagne 1800. Very good value for one lift.
snow conditions
I can confirm that the Ahornabfahrt was open until the end of the season this year as I was there. I always make a point of going up the Ahorn a couple of times during the course of a week, even though its a very small area, just to ski it. Its a truly great run and so uncrowded. The new cable car was installed a couple of years ago but I could never quite work out why as there always seem to be less than 160 skiers on the whole mountain. Now for the technical facts:

Distance: 5.5 kilometres

Vertical descent 1295 metres

Fastest descent 3 minutes 45 seconds Shocked (not me) Laughing

Average speed 88 kilometres per hour
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For Metres per minute I think the 2 funiculares in Tignes would be hard to beat. I remember being there a couple of years ago and seasonaires where having a comp, most KM in a day and they were just going up and down these all day. I kept out of the way, it was pretty wild Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
fallliner wrote:
The La Grave lift - there's only one (apart from the little drag at the top which you don't have to take) and it gives 2150m of vertical.

Base to P2 is a single lift but P2 to P3 is very definitely separate. Does the train from Lauterbrunnen to Junfraujoch count as a single lift (I suspect you change at Kleine Scheidegg anyway)?

New tram at Jackson Hole

9 minutes, 4,139 vertical feet (1,261 m)
snow conditions
gravystuffing wrote:
La Plagne - Verdons down to Champagny off the Verdons Sud or Verdons Nord 2500m down to 1250 I believe.

Or even the top of the Roche down to champers which is 2700 to 1250 but I think the rules of this game is that it has to be one lift that you have to be able to lap i.e. come off at the top ski back to the bottom get back on and repeat without touching other lifts which is why the ag rouge gets excluded albeit it being a great run, and likewise both these in La Plagne.
latest report
fallliner wrote:

erm... two. The first one gives 954 meters of vertical, the second 773 meters giving a total of 1767 meters of vertical.
ski holidays
La Grave isn't pisted though so i guess that doesn't count.

This obscure one has to be a contender:

Untersbergbahn cable car in Salzburg. 1320m vertical ascent. Single pisted run back down.

Though techniclly the start of the ski run is 80m higher than the top of the cable car so you have a walk to the start, though it gives a 1400m descent.
ski holidays
The Marmolada cablecar goes up in 3 stages from Malga Ciapela at 1450m to Punta Rocca at 3265m, giving a vertical of 1815m which can be skied directly back to the base station, the 12km 'Bellunese' run, a real thigh burner.

Here's a pic of the run and the top section of the cablecar:

http://www.pistefamose.com/veneto/marmolada/bellunense_f.jpg
ski holidays
When I went in a helicopter from Zermatt that was one ‘journey’ and it sort of started and ended at the same spot.

Start: 4,200 m
Length of run: 16,000 m
Altitude difference: 2,600 m

I understand that they also do heli-skiing in the Himalayas!!!
latest report
luigi, The Marmolada is a great place, and the big cliff face the rest of the cable car goes up is hugely spectacular. I tend to think of that as one lift, though you do have to briefly get out and in again. Unfortunately severe winds had got at most areas when I was last in the Dolomites, and then there were big falls and avalanche danger, so we didn't get to ski it last year when we were doing an off piste holiday in the area.
snow report
snowball wrote:
luigi, The Marmolada is a great place, and the big cliff face the rest of the cable car goes up is hugely spectacular. I tend to think of that as one lift, though you do have to briefly get out and in again. Unfortunately severe winds had got at most areas when I was last in the Dolomites, and then there were big falls and avalanche danger, so we didn't get to ski it last year when we were doing an off piste holiday in the area.

I must admit to a bit of trepidation on seeing that cliff-face, just wondering what I would find at the top:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fillemon/387708171/sizes/l/
latest report
luigi wrote:
I must admit to a bit of trepidation on seeing that cliff-face, just wondering what I would find at the top:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fillemon/387708171/sizes/l/

Good photo, and I can sympathise with your concern!
snow report
1000m is decent vertical in anyones book, IMV, but it depends on how the run pans out. If you weave round the back of the mountain doing the last few hundreds mtrs on a path then that rather takes away the wow factor.
The GM face is pretty steep all the way down but accept that it is not pisted at the top until you get down to the chair. Nice pitch tho'

I think questions like these should really be dealt with in terms of time taken skiing them, IMO.

What vert is the top CC at ADH and then down the front side?

Mont Gele always looks as though the CC disappears into the sky...
snow report
Gazzza, you also have to bus it from the end of the ski run to the bottom of the cable car.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy