Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Full face helmet, oppinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Been thinking about getting a full face helmet for this season, been looking at mainly the Giro range but can anyone suggest one from experience?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
decide what you like the looks of, put it on with goggles, then breath really heavily, if the goggles steam up dont get it. I have to constantly be doing 30mph+ or my breath hits the chin guard and mists up the lenses = pretty scary when you can't see the edge of that cliff you remember seeing earlier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well you will either look like a spaz or a pro. Depends how you think of it. I don't know much about the difference between the snow and mountain bike lids but the Giro remedy (pretty sure there's a snow version) is one of the most popular out there in the bike world. Troy Lee are the one's all the fan bois want but they do look pretty cool. Heard they have some construction issues but Seth Morrison uses one so they must be good right. You'll be paying a lot of money for one though. POC have only recently started to appear but already seem to have a pretty good rep. Then there's company's like Fox (their range maybe a bit overkill on the whole, MX roots) and Bell, both pretty big lid manufacturers. Basically you just want to find one that fits. The remedies are pretty wide, don't fit my head at all really. I've thought about using my azonic fury helmet (budget offering) briefly but didn't think i could pull it off without looking like a nob so stuck with my standard ski lid.

Basically fit is everything, dulcamara's advice should be more of an after thought (especially the "like the look of" bit) although I don't deny, not being able to see is a bit of a problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just for a mild bit of drift. I wear a Met Parachute Helmet for mountain biking. As i find proper full face helmets to heavy and hot to wear just for trail riding. Never worn a full face helmet skiing though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milnerhome, Try the sweet Rooster full face or the H2 range form snow fusion both excellent choices.

Bit OTT for on piste and moguls but great for tress and cliffs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bargain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv wrote:
Bargain.

Said in a welsh accent, whilst dressed as a goth?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The troop does look like a storm troop though which is great.

The giro Remedy Snow version is meant to be good, pretty decent venting etc..not some what teh difference over the MTB one is..theres some cheap ones on the interweb.

Also some of the poc have removable chin guards like the MET Parachute.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love the sweet and HMR kit but so damn expensive.... is it really worth it? surely they all pass the same safety tests etc? fine if you have a real job and like to spend money on ski stuff, but what about us poor beggars?

Mines a bike helmet, got it 60% off (there are no discounts on ski stuff) and apart from the old steaming up issue its fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
plenty of cheap bike ones about at the mo... been tempted with the zebra stripe THE lid

In fact looking at it the giro one seems to be the same as the bike one with a couple of vents taped up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, I have a Sweet helmet (this one) and it was worth the money (to me). I don't have a real job either Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara wrote:
Love the sweet and HMR kit but so damn expensive.... is it really worth it? surely they all pass the same safety tests etc?

They all pass the same basic standard. Better ones go through more rigorous testing and have higher safety ratings as a result. If the remedy fits then it's probably a pretty good shout. Got a high safety rating (again this is mountain biking stuff though), not too expensive and Giro do a pretty good crash replacment scheme. Looks a lot better than that Sweet one. Opinion is immunity to being wrong so HA!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
suprised no-ones mentioned the possible increased risk of neck injuries with full face helmets, extra leverage of the chin piece risks turning minor face-plants into major problems. surely the average skier doesn't need this Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well then you buy a Leatt brace to go with it. They've become really popular in riding but to be honest people have been using full face lids for years and the amount of neck injuries is incredibly small.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gilo, Have heard this but was at a training day this year and they showed test with Dummies and there was very little diffrence caused by the wearing of a face plate on the helmet.

I wear a HMR one from Snowfusion.co.uk

Before that had a full face protec. Its all about prefrence and what you are after
ski holidays
I've got a Giro Remedy (the snow version) and it does a good job. Although you can't hear much and it's damn hot. Don't really get a problem with misting at all.
latest report
I've got a POC Skull X2 full-face and love it. The chinguard and peak are both removable, and I've had no trouble with goggles steaming up. I've had a few crashes where the chinguard has stopped me scraping my face on the snow/ice.
snow conditions
azaleaburr, I think you might have got motocross (http://youtube.com/v/IP35rm_31RQ) confused with motorcycles (http://www.wallpapergate.com/data/media/2117/Suzuki_Motorbike_001.jpg)

although I agree you would look like a bit of a d*ck riding around in a motorcycle helmet!

milnerhome, most big brands do decent full faces, I have a pro-tec one and it's pretty well ventilated - I only ever take it off when boot packing or for food (which is quite often I suppose) NehNeh Toofy Grin
snow report
brizatow, The post from azaleaburr is just link spam.
snow report
Probably a brilliant idea if you're staying at one of the more "exclusive" French resorts and want to steal a roll from the dining cart! Very Happy
snow conditions
And we were doing so well. Not one dumb post in almost 20 replies... until now. That must be some sort of snowheads record. Everyone's a joker here.
snow conditions
I really like my bell bellistic for MTB downhilll, with a buff or other microfibre balaclava (just in case, really) I reckon it's be fine for skiing and has plenty mouth venting. What I find with full face though is that the shape is REALLY important - with the extra coverage there are a whole lot more places it could fit badly - giro and 661 really do not work with my noggin at all. Try on is essential.

Not that I use if for skiing; I tent to hit things ass first anyway...
latest report
are you all wearing FF helmets and hucking cliffs etc? where are you wearing these mostly
snow conditions
Ive never been tempted to put my DH bike helmet on for skiing. Ive owned a few, keep wrecking them in DH accidents. My Giro Remedy, well not great in fit, little too wide and quite a big helmet although nice and light, saved my head a few times before it had done enough really. Then a Bell Bellistic, light but not the best design safety wise, felt a lot more compared to the previous Remedy. My current one is a THE industries ONE (carbon jobby so nice and light), very good fit lightweight and good looking (CRC have good deals on these and the composite ones atm). Think for skiing I would really consider the fit/weight as a main factors, just as I do with biking really, looks come in second, you really need to go and try the helmet on in a shop.
ski holidays
i tried a full face lid for a couple weeks. couldnt get away with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy