Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Graphics effect your ski choice?

Poster: A snowHead
does anyone choose their ski on what it looks like rather than performance?

I try to go 50/50 on a nice graphic and reasonable performance... you gotta look good!

what are your thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndyB1080, if research didn't show that it did I doubt the ski manufacturers would spend time doing them..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everyone does.

Fact.

But no-one picks looks over performance.

Unless they've done less than 4 weeks.

Or they're Italian.

Or they're my other half.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
or a freestyler
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would never pick a ski FOR its graphics but if they're particularly nasty (e.g. girly pink flowers, or boobs and bums) the graphics might well put me off an otherwise OK ski. I like the swirly graphics on my Line Celebrity skis but I bought them because they were super cheap ex demo. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Dynastar women's range looks so revolting that I know at least three people, myself included, that didn't get them for that reason. Ugh! Mauve and brown swirlies with stupid flowers?

I am considering buying the ones I like secondhand and spraying them. I'd do them all white with some Arabic calligraphy on them - something in the style of Hassan Massoudy

we shall see, it could go hideously wrong.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-10-09 15:32; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only in a negative way - I would struggle to buy something (even if perferct in every other way) that I hated the look of while there's nothing to object to in plain skis. To be fair I shouldn't be looking at them much.

Major objections would be offensive or flowers or capable of making me feel unwell if I look at them with a hangover.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourite ski for looks: last year's EP pro Line. This year's is nowhere near as nice.

Nick's EP pro Line skis at the top of Grands Montets

And I really like my (yellow) Black Crows.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't own any skis but when/if I do I will want to go for ones that suit me and will help to progress my skiing. As I admitted to someone the other day though, if I found a pair that were exactly right for me performance wise but had ghastly graphics I'd really struggle to make myself buy them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would you but the most comfortable, practical, do-it-all shoes in the world, if they looked like bum?

Graphics do affect my decision, but only when I've made every other decision on my ski (length, radius, etc.) If two skis are fill all my criteria, but I prefer the graphic graphic on one, then that's the one I'll get.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am unlikely to buy skis because of the graphics but if they are sufficiently fugly the graphics would make me not buy a ski (i don't care how great icelantic skis are, the graphics are so awful i wouldn't touch them)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They don’t encourage me to buy a ski but they are a negative on a ski I want to buy if it looks like someone has vomited all over the topsheets. I also hate how race skis are so showy that it is just asking to have them stolen. I knew a guy years ago that was so pissed off with people stealing skis he spray painted them all sorts of colours so no one would ever steal them. Then the fashion changed and people started to say his custom paint job was really cool etc. lol.

I would *never ever* not buy a ski I liked over the others I have tried just because of the topsheets, performance and feel is everything! Same for cars though most people base decision on which car pretty much only on how it looks it seems rolling eyes Cars and skis are tools for enjoyment for me not a fashion accessory.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-10-09 21:15; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes. If I bought one of these boards, my missus wouldn't allow me to keep them in the bedroom any more.

WARNING bffw = barely fit for work
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyone knows that you should buy the skis that are suited to your ability, skiing style and choice of terrain.

It's the boots that you then have to get to match everything.

Sorry - had a bit of a 'girl moment' then *looks desperately around the office for protection*

Suitability always comes first, but then if they look hideous they get chucked out of the list.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a Newcastle fan, and I've got these red and white striped skis http://www.xpedia.co.uk/winter/prodimages/st_DYSPSX63_b.jpg

....so I guess not Confused
snow report
AndyB1080 wrote:

I try to go 50/50 on a nice graphic and reasonable performance... you gotta look good!

what are your thoughts?

Humans make choices about almost everything based on their external and internal characteristics.

For a ski -- design, brand and price are the main external factors.

Technology and skiability are the main internal factors.
snow conditions
As a graphic designer I couldn't possibly own a pair of skis with naff graphics, but I wouldn't buy skis just cos I loved the way they looked.
I have, however, not bought skis I really liked skiing on because of what they were called. Blush
snow conditions
Same as most, I have discounted skis because of graphics but never used it to justify buying a pair. Well.... Laughing

This years Armada ARG has a topsheet design that would probably make me not buy the ski.
latest report
do a girls looks affect your erection?........ sure graphics matter.........

okbye
snow report
Elan's ladies Wave-Magics have seen their fair share of graphics. I still like the ones I've got best - grey swirls white background, stylised red figure. They then went through a dainty blue flowers stage - didn't do it for me, last years were much edgier - still feminine, but the pattern was far less flowery and went more symmetrical pattern type design, def. better than the blue flowers, but not as nice as my grey and white ones. However, at the end of the day I bought them 'cos the price was right, and didn't know what they would look like until I got them.

My ones: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FR5246/ref=asc_df_B001FR5246930566/?tag=amz07b-21&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001FR5246&linkCode=asn

The dreaded flowers:
http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=ELANWAVMGC08

(I can't work out how to join those two lines together, but they need to follow each other without a space)

The more edgy 2009 top coat:
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/ski/2009/elan/wave-magic-fusion.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-10-09 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Where can I get "go faster" stripes for my skiboots?
snow report
No not at all, there always covered in snow aren't they? I couldn't buy an ugly mountain bike though, don't know what the difference is??
snow report
ah but you see mountainbikes are always covered in mud arent they? skis, hmm, to be honest nearly retached when i saw my rossi 80s arrive in the post - last years model, but they were just what i waas after and half price, so suddenly i find i am blind to the greeness wink
snow conditions
Absolutely catergorically 100% NO!

The Salamon 3Vs have s**** graphics but I've still bought 2 sets.

Now if they had an identical ski with different choices f graphics, I would of course choose the one I like best. But they don't, so I choose only on performance.

I'm really surprised so many people on this thread are saying graphics influence in them in any way.
latest report
AndyB1080 wrote:

I don't. If I would, I would never have something as ugly as Fischer RC4 World Cup GS and SL skis are. Smile
snow report
Quote:
Arno (i don't care how great icelantic skis are, the graphics are so awful i wouldn't touch them)

I rather like the icelantic graphics, they remind me of the snowboards I used to go for in my 20's. Same with some of the Line ski's too. Blush each to their own.

Definately if I do not like the look of the ski, it is unlikely to get tried out to see how good it really is, topsheets that are just text (ie maker and ski name/details) really put me off as they are too boring.
ski holidays
beanie1, primoz, Race skis don't count, they either all look cool or all look sheite depending on your eyes!
latest report
I'm like a few others on here. I wouldn't specifically choose skis with nice graphics, but I would reject a ski with naff graphics. If they are plain/neutral, but I like them, I will go for them anyway.

Example: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kneissl Blackstar ski. Its really boring in its graphics, but if I could only bloody find a supplier, it WOULD be mine.
http://www.freeride.co.uk/gear/skis/2009/kneissl/black-star-xc.htm
l
Example 2: A couple of years ago I was fond of the K2 Miss Demeanor ski, but at the time the graphics were vile - all orange and khaki and just...horrible. http://www.evogear.com/outlet/skis/k2-missdemeanor-womens-2007.aspx
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Now, I thought they looked great...although I can't rememeber what was on them...just that the overall presentation of the ski was very good, IMV.

The only real thing for me is if the top sheet is very glossy, then that will look crap with a few scratches on it...so nice idea but not practical, IMV.

My skis have a very durable mottled top sheet which will cope very well with the beating they are going to get Laughing
latest report
If they got some designed by the Stade Francais shirt designer I'd have a pair just to prop outside the apres bar, all the women would think I was gay and therefore safe to talk to! Toofy Grin Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy