Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who makes the best AFD?

Poster: A snowHead
Clearly, an important topic. Is one manufacturer better than another? I always liked the Marker, ESS VAR, and Tyrolia systems best-they were really exciting.

I know manufacturers spend squillions on 'R & D' on this sort of thing but I am convinced the Salomon ones are really boring. I have five pairs of skis in my garage and I spent all last night conducting inconclusive tests. Can anyone help me?

If in doubt, always put a bit of olive oil on your AFD: it makes crashing and exiting your bindings so much more fun.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, at one stage LOOK came with fluo yellow ones, instead of the boring black or white we all have to live with today.

I bought myself a little stash of them, they're as handy for glueing on top of the dull ones as they are for moving furniture. You need to be very careful with the binding height adjustment however, and they're no good with touring rigs.

Perfect for sliding the baby grand round the room though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is AFD Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
anotherproblem, Anti Friction Decive I thinik it a little blak or white horizontal strip on the toe piece of your binding that aids exit from the skis when required.

Hope I am right or else Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never even noticed it before *hangs head in shame*

On that note, I shall leave this thread and not return
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
anotherproblem, me too Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin mcclean, Much respect, this is fine tuning to the max.....

or the developing stages of OCD
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevin mcclean, I was told that the Head/Tyrolia system was the best - something to do with it being a moving track rather than a 'fixed' strip. I didn't particularly ask, I was just told.....

You really need to get out more.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ordhan wrote:
anotherproblem, Anti Friction Decive I thinik it a little blak or white horizontal strip on the toe piece of your binding that aids exit from the skis when required.

Hope I am right or else Embarassed

Spot on

Quote:
Anti-Friction Device
Another important part of a Ski Binding is the anti-friction-device (AFD). The AFD is a small smooth pad directly behind the toe-side piece that minimizes friction if the toe-side piece is released sideways. You need to make sure that there is at least 1 mm of free space between the sole of your boot and the AFD. Most AFDs simply use a smooth surface but some more advanced models use mechanical moving parts to make sure the boot rolls or glides sideways if needed.

http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/whatareskibindings.asp
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fine i'll bite.

I would avoid moving parts, incase they get frozen or jammed with grit... then they are just sticky pads helping to break your knees

EDIT: boring ADFs from salomon.... who makes exciting ones? I think you will still be cool if the bit that sits (covered) under your boot is not super funky.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re: moving parts - never known a Tyrolia ABS roller or a Look/Rossi Axitec to sit fast. I've got 10 pairs of Head/Tyrolia/Fischer bindings with the ABS, so they'd better damn well work Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
squawker, Ahh but you wont know while your actually skiing, only when you take your boots off. This is why uncool ADFs are as dangerous as drug driving, identity fraud and tamiflu combined!!!

I have a few moving ones as well, so I hope there ok too, lets be honest I have never bought/not bought a binding based on the ADF used, they all pass lots of safety tests, i trust them far more than my skiing.

edit: I realise i just contradicted myself. advice still stands if you care enough about ADFs, but i think its a pretty irrelevant point
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't care about how cool these things are, I don't need anything to look cool.

I AM COOL Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
squawker, When you mention roller, do you mean those rubber band types? We had some pretty old skis with them on and the rubber had perished slightly and lost some of their flex making it pretty tough to move from side to side.

Are AFDs really that important? They seem like a bit of a gimmick to me. Surely if there's enough force to twist the toe piece then there's going to be enough force to overcome any sort of friction with the boot sole.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget the olive oil-it's vital.

Lacking this, any other lubricant would suffice, even those manufactured by the LRC.
snow conditions
el nombre wrote:
squawker, When you mention roller, do you mean those rubber band types? We had some pretty old skis with them on and the rubber had perished slightly and lost some of their flex making it pretty tough to move from side to side.

Are AFDs really that important? They seem like a bit of a gimmick to me. Surely if there's enough force to twist the toe piece then there's going to be enough force to overcome any sort of friction with the boot sole.

The Tyrolia ABS-style AFD is shown here:

http://www.tyrolia.com/public/ski-bindings/safety-features/abs-anti-blocking-system/index.html?L=0

Its used on pretty much all Tyrolia, Head, Elan and Fischer bindings except the el-cheapo beginner models, some Peaks/Mojos and the top end, race only models (FF Pro 18, dX10, Z18 etc.).

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of the AFD. Bindings toes are designed to release sideways at the appropriate DIN setting in an as close to frictionless environment as possible. Damaged or malfunctioning AFDs will prevent that, and your tib, fib and soft knee tissue will likely pay the price.
snow report
That sounds good! Everyone abandon their AFD forthwith!
ski holidays
squawker, Makes sense i guess. Those are the AFDs i was referring to. A lot of them were as good as fully seized. They hadn't been looked after to be honest but i'm not sure they're the best out there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy