Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Slowly Disappearing Tignes Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Some photos showing the slow reduction in size of the Tignes glacier over the last 3 Summers

http://www.r-montagne.fr/r_actu/2009/i20090808.php
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glaciers are the last evidence of the Ice age.
As such, like an ice cube, they melt faster as they get smaller.

Ironically the snow cap on Mont Blanc is getting thicker each year, but that story doesn't fit the news agenda.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing wrote:
Glaciers are the last evidence of the Ice age.
As such, like an ice cube, they melt faster as they get smaller.

Ironically the snow cap on Mont Blanc is getting thicker each year, but that story doesn't fit the news agenda.

I heard this was due to the snow falling on the top being warmer, and hence wetter & stickier, and therefore was not getting blown off as much.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocking photos. The Tignes glacier has been battered. Kaprun, Austria, was in a similar state this Summer.

Summer skiing in Western Europe is sunsetting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plenty more Glaciers,
Summer Heli skiing is the way forward.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Intresting when they talked the weekend about the glacier in Solden for the race getting steeper as the years whent on. In other words the Glacier is retreating so the pitches are getting steeper and the run out at the bottom longer.

After the big collapse is Sass the weekend and the sad news form Chillie the mountains are a changing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan wrote ...After the big collapse is Sass the weekend and the sad news form Chillie the mountains are a changing

huh?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordhan wrote ...After the big collapse is Sass the weekend and the sad news form Chillie the mountains are a changing

huh?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't see a 3 year snapsht providing anything meaningful as to wether the glacier is disappearing or not....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, OK, but a 20-year snapshot of the Bionnay glacier on Mont Blanc shows the same thing. Is that long enough?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A huge chunk of the Sass Fee Glacier collapsed a couple of weekends ago

The worlds Highest ski resort in CHillie closed over the summer as the Glacier has dissapered

Thankfully Science will save us

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/indian-engineer-builds-new-glaciers-to-stop-global-warming-1926618.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is the end of the last IceAge. Your just witnesssing the last drops of the ice cover melting away .

Its like watching a bathtub of water emptying when you pull the plug. The last water always disappears a lot faster
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow... those pics are depressing. I've got some shots from 1986-1992 when I was in Tignes lots and especially from the 92/93 season and the difference is HUGE Sad The "wall" was a totally smooth face of snow even in high summer let alone winter Shocked Those shots up the top were also 100% white year round..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What Glacier !!, those pics cannot be ignored, will there be anything at all in another 3 years.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bi bi glaciers.. dosent this lead to other problems and some mountains becoe less stable as permafrost disappears
snow conditions
When we were in Tignes last autumn Kevin, the instructor from Evolution 2, showed us the level of the glacier now compared to when he first started teaching there, about 16 years ago. It was a very sobering sight. The overall snowpack on Mont Blanc might be higher sometimes - but in the "canicule" of 2003 the entire mountain was denuded of everything but the glaciers. I think the authorities closed the whole mountain, because it was so dangerous. A French friend who has lived here for 20 years said he'd never seen it like that before. But in the very short term we might be in for some counter-cyclical cooling? Should see the OAPs out. wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The overall snowpack on Mont Blanc might be higher sometimes - but in the "canicule" of 2003 the entire mountain was denuded of everything but the glaciers.

Like 2009, only this year it was worse.
ski holidays
davidof, Sad Actually, I was looking at the mountain at lunch time and thinking that the new snow of a week or so ago was already disappearing quite fast.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w, fear not, by this time next week, it'll all be nice and blanc again. wink

latest report
Ordhan wrote:
A huge chunk of the Sass Fee Glacier collapsed a couple of weekends ago

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1323004&highlight=sass+fee#1323004

Ordhan wrote:
The worlds Highest ski resort in CHillie closed over the summer as the Glacier has dissapered

I think you mean Chacaltaya in Bolivia

http://www.lapress.org/articles.asp?art=5960
latest report
Sitting in a mountain hut and looking at pictures from 50+ years ago is depressing in the extreme - very, very different environment then. If I need a medical check I go to a doctor, for car trouble it is my mechanic. When I hear climate scientists talking of climate change then I rather tend to believe what they say. The science is there as is the evidence in the seas and on the mountains. Copenhagen 09.
snow report
The Leisse is no where near as steep as it was. Quite a big difference from a few years ago.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:
The Leisse is no where near as steep as it was. Quite a big difference from a few years ago.

I thought it was because my skiing had improved between my first and last visit Embarassed . Leisse was my 1st ever black run.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Funnily enough, that was what the trainer said to us Very Happy but I think he was being nice..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy