Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
New snowhead here, with many unanswered questions! Just graduating from college and have an urge to live the dream in the alps for a winter. I want to go to the TEFL route and privately tutor some french kids a couple days a week. I want to immerse myself and finally become fluent in french because I am so close. I want to ski some of the most picturesque and challenging mountains in the world. SO...who has done this before?! I'm going it alone and will need to find ski buddies when I arrive which I don't anticipate being too difficult as I am the type of skiier who might not follow others off a cliff but can definitely keep up. I want to find a studio for around 350 euro. I'm looking for input on the towns with liftservice. Looking for a place where I can get to meet locals, frequent pubs, has a town center, and an overall inclusive atmosphere. I plan on arriving in the beginning of January. Sorry this is so scattered but my excitement has my brain too rattled to decently compose a message! If you have any experience or anecdotes regarding your favorite town, best place to look for apartments, best way to find ski buddies ready to push past the limits of the groomed trail, and anything else that would help a newbie out..please comment!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vermont powder, okay, okay okay break it down a bit;
> you want to do a season - which season 2009/2010 or 2010/2011
> TEFL??? you'll have to help me there
> Le Grand Massif - why have you chosen this region?
> €350 pcm I think you'll struggle for your own studio in the cheapest resorts you'll be looking at double that amount possibly slightly less if you go the shared route!!

> breath it helps!

oh and btw welcome!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vermont powder, welcome to Snowheads.

I know what TEFL is (Teaching of English as a Foreign Language). Do you already hold TEFL qualifications, vermont powder?
I have a friend in our ski area, a Frenchman who is highly experienced as a teacher of both French and English, and who runs his own language school. He has really struggled to find enough pupils recently (especially as Americans were scared off coming even to small Alpine villages when the riots in the banlieu were widely televised). rolling eyes He does some work teaching ski instructors and others in the tourist industry English, but it's hard. His wife works too, and they don't find it easy. Many of the French people living in ski resorts work hard to make a basic living - I can't imagine too many are in the sort of income bracket where they could afford to pay for a private tutor for their kids. But maybe it would be easier in the bigger and more flash resorts - others may be more optimistic.

You might be able to earn a few euros here and there on tutoring, if you are qualified, but you'd be lucky to get anywhere near enough to live on, let alone to ski on.

I'd agree with marcellus on accommodation - when you say 350, do you mean per month, or per week? A small studio in an obscure resort can cost around that per week - considerably more in the high season weeks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't worry I'm breathing! I will be going for 2009/10 season. I chose le Grand Massif region because I am from a quiet state and live in a quiet ski town with a very small but fun bar scene and hope to find something equivalent in the alps. I am aware it is a different country and my entire world will be turned upside down but as far as the "vibe" goes, I want to try and mimic the outdoor, love life attitude that emanate throughout my current local. (check out Stowe, VT USA if you are curious) I have a friend who stayed in Samoens while living in France and says it's ideal and mimics the lifestyle we enjoy here only on a grander scale.

I am trying to go the TEFL route (yes I am recently certified) because I want to get more out of the experience than simply "ski bumming" post grad. I appreciate the advice about the lack of students yet still plan on contacting the local Mairie for suggestions, native speaking positions,etc.

I don't plan on coming to a resort and stealing what little work there is from the locals in order to make my way. I have funds put away for this adventure so I won't need to make myself a full living there however a small influx of cash would be helpful.

Tell me about the shared living experience? That seems daunting to me but probably the most cost effective. I thought i came across a few places for around €350-€380 but must be mistaken.

Again...any advice/questions appreciated!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vermont powder, I'll be in Samoens this Thursday afternoon if you are around for a beer or two to welcome you properly to snowheads?

Good choice on locations: You're spot on that Samoens has everything on your aspiration list and more. I have a neighbour with a small appartment.

If you can CONFIRM whether you mean weekly or monthly -

I can mention your interest to him if it's weekly........... He may be interested in a season deal if you are quick, however if it's monthly then it's unrealistic for Samoens and totally uneconomic for a winter let as it would have to cover all variable costs such as electricity, water, heating, maintenance etc plus all the fixed property tax costs. You mentioned a little work? - Only possible if you have a permit or an EU passport.

As you say, sharing maybe the way forward but you'd need to be on the ground early December as Flaine, Avoriaz, etc open on the 12th December and it will be pre-season party time all that week in Samoens and the whole of the Grand Massif which opens fully on the 19th Dec.

PM Me for contact details if you will be in Samoens soon
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vermont powder, another welcome; and we love your quiet state and quiet ski town - if that is Stowe! You would probably enjoy Samoens and from there the access is good up to Flaine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jivebaby, Thursday??

Coveys Bar, what time??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, What a great surprise..lets say 20:00 -I'll PM my contact numbers and list this as an "event" Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't yet been to the area but I know the Grand Massif is a great area, but what is the best base for a bit of Apres? We are looking at Samoens at the moment, we are all 30's and 40's now so just want a couple of lively (ish) bars...must have live bands. Can Samoens supply this?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyjc, Live bands.... er no - I go into Geneva quite a bit to visit/stay with friends so that's always an option and you can reciprocate by playing hostie when they ski Cool

For live bands chamonix is probably a better bet and to an extent also Morzine has a few regualr gigs but both are much larger and less attractive than Samoens: Big isn't always more!

When there's a decent gig I'm more than happy to drive over for the evening which works for me. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok,yes I'm well aware of what cham can offer, but we don't need it on that scale....just a couple of decent bars with some live music during apres and a bit later on, you know the score! perhaps we had better look elsewhere, but i really would like to try the Grand Massif.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually bar Savoie usally has the odd gig and I have a feeling Covey's may too.

I'll ask around tomorrow evening asI'm joining Marcellus for a beer at Covey's. Bois de Lune gets pretty socialable too but not with live sets (yet) although Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) has the occasional beer along with one of the guys from Pink Flloyd. I'm still waiting to see if they ever do an impromptu Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
really....is that a wind up? comfortably numb/surfin usa...what a combi. I'd like to be there! where do they drink?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nope 'tis true. Bois de Lune
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jivebaby, doesn't the bar up from the roundabout with the garage have bands.... they might be french accordian bands but I'm sure I saw them advertising something
snow report
Not that I know- it gets pretty lively there in summer but always seems quieter in winter and I've never noticed anything live there. Yet! Geneva really is the way forward for a grand night out...for example the Sindy party at the Palladium on Saturday for Halloween. I went last year and it was amazing and the fancy dress was fantastic.
ski holidays
vermont powder,

Hi there - welcome to snowheads. I have a place in Samoens - did you know that gomassif.com are recruiting now for the 09-10 season? You can pick and choose your hours I think - see their website for details. http://www.gomassif.com/
Also worth making contact with Shane, John and Paul at Covey's Irish pub as they always know what's happening around and about Samoens and Sixt.

Jivebaby, are you SERIOUS about Brian Wilson??!! What's his connection to Samoens??? I only ever see Trinny about the place.... - are you connected to gomassif?
ski holidays
Freestyle, Hiya...nope I just live and ski there as much as I can during the winter. Wilson's family have had a property in Samoens for over 30 years - most of the celebs, Trinny included seem to keep a very low profile, afterall I'd have to bump into Angelina Jolie, Juliet Binoche, Kelly Brook or Kristin Scott Thomas etc every time you go out for a quiet beer. That would be terrible Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-10-09 12:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Freestyle, The suggestion for Vermont Powder (if his budget is weekly + he has a work permit) is a good one although a local mate of mine has worked for xxx out of Les Gets in the past, the work isn't well paid and its per journey, not by the hour. Flight delays, traffic and lots of snow +chains etc all add extra time so he ended up doing 6-8 hours work for 2 hours pay. ;o(
ski holidays
Freestyle, Will we see you in covey's on Thursday? Cool
ski holidays
Jivebaby, Freestyle, first of all...vt powder is a SHE. Second of all..thank you so much for the input. I did some serious digging and found the one of a kind studio for 320 a month before utilities. It all comes up to be 360. I knew I could find it..if you believe it or not! I am now working on the rest of my trip details.

Considering venturing over for New Years festivities if only one of you will promise to show me around and let me tag along! I'm in my 20s but not a wild partier so hopefully I can keep it lively enough without overpowering the situation.

Let's see...thanks for the tip on gomassif.com I will look into that. Also plan on contacting the guys at the bar.

SO helpful everyone..I will be in touch as plans develop..gotta run to class!

PS. It's snowing in vermont!!
snow report
vermont powder, A girl! Whatever next? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

I'll be around 11-19th dec then again around 12-16th Jan before Verbier I then grab days/weeks as I can.

I'll look forward to skiing with you and showing you around the village -Fantastic getting the studio at that rate...btw where about's is it?

ATB.. Cool
snow report
vermont powder, I didn't assume you were a bloke! I'm a bird too!

Jivebaby, not in Samoens at the moment and not for this season Sad as am cooking up baby number 2 - managed every season since 2003 (including a trip this year in March when our baby boy was only 4 months old!) - this will be the first season I've missed and I'm really gutted - hubby will be out in January though. Please say hi to the Covey's Boys - we are Alison and Steve. Also, pls ask Shane about his 2nd baby (s/he was due when we were out in March and I haven't yet emailed him to find out what flavour he and Asa had?!)

Jivebaby, are you a girl or a boy then??

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-10-09 18:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Oh I just found out they had a little girl called Nikita... Cool
ski holidays
Freestyle, Hi yes I'm a guy/bloke/boy/manchild and you're also right about that too -blokes just assume!

I've actually swapped PM's about samoens with your "Freestyle" hubby which is why I thought that was Steve. Were going down to Tignes on Sunday for 3 days then back to Samoens again in December for the pre Xmas party week 12-19th to ensure some demo skiing over at Avoriaz/Morzine and some stints on the GM at Flaine during the week. I'll swap some more dates with Steve later.

ATB
latest report
andyjc, Found this = Live Music
http://forum.grand-massif.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2053
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy