Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra or Soll?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Assistance please!!

Group of 12 who have a few newbies coming with us this year. We usually go to St Anton, but a couple of the newer guys didn't enjoy it too much last season and have asked if we can go somewhere 'gentler' this season. We're looking at the 2nd/3rd week in Jan, and Soll or Andorra seem to be their fave choices as the runs should be kinder and I understand they have good ski schools there too. Hopefully, there will be enough to be the more advanced skiers occupied!!

My only question is regarding what the snow covering is usually like in Jan in these resorts. I know we can't say how much snow will fall (if any), but my question relates to what snow making facilities these resorts have and which one should prove most succesful if we find a snow drought this season?

And thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a large majority of years, the snow will be fine for 2nd/3rd week of January in either.

When it is bad, I think the snow making facilities are fairly similar, but Soll has the advantage of high resorts within an hour or so if there is too bad a snow drought even for snow cannons to work.

It was the 3rd week of January in 2007 when we did have a very serious snow drought, and from Neiderau we were bussed to Kaltenbach, which had quite reasonable snow levels (and a fair number of easy runs). That is slightly less time from Soll than it was from Neiderau (35 minutes according to ViaMichelin).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I go every season 2nd week in jan and never had probs with snow fall in Andorra
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ditto Jason,

I spent 10 days in Pas de la Casa (Andorra) last January and the snow was good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andorra has invested heavily in snow making over the past few seasons and Grandvalira now has over 1,000 snow cannons, and Vallnord over 350 of them, with more due to be installed for this winter.

As for natural snow, last winter was superb throughout January, well the whole season actually, but you never can tell anywhere until the time comes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Soldeu for the dreadful 3rd week of Jan 2007, and managed to ski all week on man-made snow. We were limited to Soldeu-El Tarter as the links to Pas weren't open. IIRC most blues and red were open.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both areas are good and have plenty of snow cannons nowadays. Runs will suit beginners and intermediates, the advanced/expert won't be too challenged though. One thing to keep in mind is that Soll has a home run to the village which can be tricky for beginners, and is very crowded when the mountain closes.
Soll might be slightly more "snow sure" due to its location. But at the same the skiwelt isn't exactly high, topping at 1900m iirc. And it's only starting at 1100m so not much vertical drop.
I only ever did day trips from Toulouse to Andorra so never experienced the night life. Soll was great for that. Not a huge choice of bars but nice enough...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler wrote:

Soll might be slightly more "snow sure" due to its location. But at the same the skiwelt isn't exactly high, topping at 1900m iirc. And it's only starting at 1100m so not much vertical drop.

Actually Soll village is at 703m, and Hopfgarten is at 620, so you have at least two continuous runs from the top of the Hohe Salve of over 1000m, provided the snow is OK.

Which it usually will be 2nd/3rd week of January, although it can't be guaranteed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney,
true, but bar a coupe of home runs, the vast majority of the runs are between 1100 and 1900m.
I found the area great to learn boarding (went twice). I really like the place. But as a skier, where I am a lot more competent, I would find it boring after a couple of days..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy