Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base \ Edge Angles

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the factory angles on the current Salomon Lady?

I've just bought a used pair and need to service them up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, are these the right skis for you?

Jon says 1 and 2.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy, are these the right skis for you?

Jon says 1 and 2.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, ah Embarassed should have looked.

Interesting as I've been working to .5 & 2 - will change accordingly.

The edges on these feel pretty good for the most part, the problem is more surface rust where the ski's have stayed wet. I'll try a gummy stone first to see if they polish up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What is a Gummie Stone, I've always wondered ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munkee, A gummi stone is a block made basically from rubber (or a synthetic compound with similar properties) and grit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And what is the value equivalent to a Gummy stone ?

As so far with home tuning there seems to be a cheaper equivalent to eevrything, bar Wax :

Tescos iron £4
Tescos value nylon brush 50p
B&Q files for the edges
&
Plastic / metal ruler for scraping

Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, if they've been used the angles might be different anyway, most shops don't tune to anything specific
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, I was used a shop in Spain who claimed they set the edges to 'special' angles to suit the snow in the Valley Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I allways set base edge at 1. The side edge varies on the manufacturer., but i normally would do them at 2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure what the factory standard is perceived to be and of course, you get angles from 0.5 base to 3 side...but do you think the ski tech guy working into the evening is going to mess around with angles on his machine... if he has 20 plus prs to get through before he can join his mates in the pub..????

If you have special angles then you really should look after them yourself.

FWIW, my skis are factory set at 0.5-1...which makes things easy...but as I attend to them myself, it doesn't matter. I may take the sides to 2
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy wrote:
Does anyone know the factory angles on the current Salomon Lady?

I've just bought a used pair and need to service them up.

Really have to get down to the slope to see you teaching on these... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jon.L, Yep, they are a nice colour NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do people notice much difference between 0.5 and 1 on the base?

My Atomic SL12s are set at 1 but I'd like them to be a bit more aggressive and I've heard that it's hard to tell the difference of 0.5 of a degree.

I got a base grind on my rock SL skis (P60s) and skied them 0 and 0 for a laugh expecting them to be impossible. Instead, they were great and I have kept them at 0 on the base! Not for anyone that ever wants to really skid turns though, the most they will really produce is a scarved turn and feel like you are dragging a boat anchor. I like them like that though wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Am i in the minority?

I like my Slalom skis base at 0, nice quick grip and turn initiation especially handy on the icy bits and if you do mess up they will happily drop back into a carve and keep the speed..... n.b. usually my edges vary edge to edge as I am lazy and hate sharpening skis, making them the angle they are when i get bored and go back inside to watch the simpsons.

p.s. what is a Rock SL ski? one for killing?
ski holidays
Glad I'm not the only crazy one!

Rock skis = old skis for use when coverage is bad.
snow conditions
narc wrote:
Do people notice much difference between 0.5 and 1 on the base?......

Most definately. You'll notice it much more than changes in the side edge angle. Most skis are produced with a 1 degree base edge angle but many are actually over bevelled & are often nearer to 1.5 degrees. A accurately set (after a grind) 1 degree base edge gives a very responsive ski & less than that is too reactive in variable snow.

Last year I set some factory Stockli SL skis to 0.3,5 for a racer customer of mine. I tried them at Castleford & they were pretty Shocked
latest report
narc wrote:
Do people notice much difference between 0.5 and 1 on the base?......

Most definately. You'll notice it much more than changes in the side edge angle. Most skis are produced with a 1 degree base edge angle but many are actually over bevelled & are often nearer to 1.5 degrees. A accurately set (after a grind) 1 degree base edge gives a very responsive ski & less than that is too reactive in variable snow.

Last year I set some factory Stockli SL skis to 0.3,5 to a racer customer of mine. I tried them at Castleford & they were pretty Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy