Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December snow -when will we know ?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

current snow levels in Switzerland and France?

freezing levels are up and down, it seems so current snow levels may not be too significant. There's snow on our local webcams, looks like down to about 1450m, but looks pretty slushy and damp and it's pretty mild now. There seems to be huge precipitation forecast over the next couple of days, though as it will be generally pretty warm it will rain in many of the lower areas (if you believe snow-forecast, below about 1800/1900 in Austria and up to about 2000/2500m in France, where freezing levels are higher.

Then it looks like getting colder again, with some further useful bits of snow...... but in two weeks time it could be mild and rainy again, or continuing cold and snowy. Or mild and dry. Or cold and dry. Anyone's guess.

A few lucky people might get some very special conditions in the next few days though - if the winds die down a bit.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, it must be great to have an pad in the Alps this time of year so that when the temperature drops and the snow does come for a few days you can get some powder skiing done, and when it gets sunny and melts you can go on a few walks or just chill out. Sounds fantastic Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
pam w, it must be great to have an pad in the Alps this time of year so that when the temperature drops and the snow does come for a few days you can get some powder skiing done, and when it gets sunny and melts you can go on a few walks or just chill out. Sounds fantastic Very Happy

Not too sure that would pan out unless you went somewhere high that already had a decent base, or knew which meadows to ski on without many rocks, fallen trees etc to trip you up...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax, fixed it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, well I'm sitting barely one metre vertical from the sea level at the moment (and about 15 metres horizontal, and the tide is still coming in...). And although I do know which meadows to ski there won't be any lifts open for ages in the Espace Diamant! The cows were still on the pastures when I left on Sunday - at 2 am, on a mild night with a full moon, Mont Blanc shining in the distance and the cowbells tinkling. It's revolting now - slushy snow - they'll be hustling those cows down to the byres. I'm glad I've left!

I was thinking more of people on the glaciers in places like Tignes and Hintertux - though one of Tignes locals just reported that the mountain is shut owing to high winds. More resorts will be opening throughout November - but not ours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, how pretty!
Skins are the way forward for early tracks! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes were reporting winds of 100k's at 3300!

Maybe this base will stay down, the trend over the next 6 days at least isnt too bad, especially for higher resorts such as Tignes.

Regarding the original post, I would suggest Easter time somowhere for the kids and your own benefit. Most of my best ski exeriences have been at easter. Never failed to have powder (good 4 big powder days in a row during last easter) every season during easter yet the temps are generally low during the night when its putting down the snow. As I left Chatel last season it was snowing down to the Chalet on the 28th of April at 1000m...I didnt want to leave! In Avoriaz they were skiing easily to the 10th of May, maybe even beyond that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow has largely melted below 1900 meters. Mountains are green again. Walking this weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"No you are right. It snowed heavily this time last year, more than at the moment, and it all melted below 2200 meters"
So pick a resort above 2200m . MMMMMM which one .
Ah yes. http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/live/livecams--webcams.61.html

wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, pick VT by all means, and risk the horrendous mid winter weather, blizzards and howling gales you might get up there, with all the lifts closed, when lower and more sheltered resorts are offering much more pleasant conditions. Which, IIRC is exactly what happened in mid December last year - my niece was out there on a uni trip and not thrilled when the lifts were closed by bad weather for two days.

the point some of us are trying to make here is that you can't judge mid december conditions from what's happening in early November. And because resorts will be very quiet in mid December you're not forced to pick one now, and would be better off waiting. It's really a very simple - even self-evident - point but if people are desperate to book there are plenty of accommodation-providers desperate to take their money......

Next week, if present forecasts come true (which is not by any means certain, which is why trying to guess at weather in 6 weeks is a waste of time) Val Thorens will be basking in warm sun, with the freezing level above the resort. Just like it was last week, before the subsequent 48 hours of snow and excitement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Yep, pick VT by all means,

I'd sooner go skiing on the moon. Last time I was there I could hardly breath overnight, had to bring an oxygen tent.. and the OP has a 3 year old. The beginner's area sucks donkey balls.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, which forecast reckons that? both metcheck and snow-forecast seem to think that its going to remain pretty chilly
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rambotion, snow-forecast has freezing levels much higher towards the end of next week (2500/3100m on Weds/Thurs). Might not happen, of course.

I've done walking in shorts and T shirts in the Alps at 2000m in early November before now. And been back out with super snow at Christmas the same year . It's too early to get excited about snow, or cast down by the lack of it.

I've never slept at VT but I've been up there when it was too warm to ski elsewhere and I had a very keen visitor. Everything below VT was green. We had a decent day (apart from the silly price demanded for a bowl of the worst French onion soup ever) but there are a zillion nicer places to ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, a zillion nicer places to ski, than Val Thorens??? For keen intermediate skiers and above it's one of the best resorts in the Alps. It may not look particualrly nice but the skiing rocks.

Taking the season as a whole VT always has better snow conditions than Les Menuires, Meribel or Courchevel. Pretty logical given that most of its pistes are at higher elevation and are North facing.

If someone is going to book a one week skiing holiday in France and want the best chance of decent snow cover I'd say only Tignes can compete with it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been to l'Alpe d'Huez the week before Christmas for the last 3 years and it’s been fine. however I am a little nervous this year
latest report
ibisona, there's no reason at this stage to be nervous this year rather than any other. It's colder in the Alps right now than it was this time last year. snowHead

bobinch, last time I spent a whole week in the 3V (January 2002, when snow was poor all round) Courchevel 1650 had the best snow in the domaine. VT had loads of stones. That was the year when, by sheer accident, we spent a few days on the way home in Les Saisies, which surprised us by having pistes in better condition than anywhere in the 3 Valleys at the time, and we ended up buying an apartment there!

I confess to not knowing the Belleville Valley at all well - so you might well be right, but from my limited experience I'd choose Courchevel, without hesitation, if I had to choose just one of the 3 Valleys to ski in.
snow report
Nice story about you buying on La Saisie!

Courchevel has a better range of pistes than VT, particularly when the runs to La Tania and Le Praz are open and is a better choice for beginner / intermediate skiers but IMO VT is streets ahead for good skiers due to all the options from Le Cime de Caron. d
ski holidays
. duplicate

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-11-09 10:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have a small appartment in Kaprun, Austria. Its only a studio and me and the wife go regularly in the first couple of weeks in December. There generally is snow on the lower slopes there and in Zell am See, which is just around the corner, However if it is a poor start you can always go 'upstairs' at the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier which has alot to offer skiers of all levels and is only five minutes on the ski bus but it can be very cold up there if the weather turns. Lots of stuff for the kids too, tobogganing and ice skating nearby. Hope you find something suitable.

Boyd
snow conditions
Boyd,
We were thinking of buying an apartment at one of the resorts in the Salzburg area but most of the Salzburg flights seem to have disappeared from the North which means the planned long weekends are not possible.
How are you managing at the moment?

Thanks.
latest report
Well still not booked and weather still looks uncertain. Snow-forecast has decent falls forecast from this weekend but the forecasts seem to change quite regularly.

Will wait a bit longer....from the great advice given, I have concluded:

Wait wait and wait somemore
When there is a general lack of snow, go high to be sure
When there is plentiful snow, go lower to avoid bad weather and cold kids
Be very careful that the resort is open "enough"

Current thinking is:

Obergurgl (open and already snow)
La Rosiere (not open yet but snow forecast) -seems good for kids
Saas Fee (snow already but only a bit open and unclear whether it will be properly open week commencing 12/13 December)

Some of this is governed by the operator (Esprit) I want to use.

Once again very many thanks for all your posts -it really is appreciated. Will update the forum with the outcome in due course.
ski holidays
la Ros? a couple of years ago they had to cancel their opening day. For mid December, it coulld be epic, could be awful, too early to tell.
latest report
Quote:

For mid December, it coulld be epic, could be awful, too early to tell

Agreed. Though I think, to be fair, many resorts had little or nothing to offer that year.

Quote:

the forecasts seem to change quite regularly.

yep. Still very uncertain out there; anything could happen, as davidof indicates.
ski holidays
MattWild, Hmmm, using Esprit rather limits you...

You really need to wait until there's some semblance of a base and temps have stabilised a bit closer to the seasonal norm. Big dumps forecast for next week, but who knows..(only the Shadow knows...)
ski holidays
Off to Obergurgl on Sunday with Esprit. Booked a couple of weeks ago (availability was running low but decent price) as reasonable snow cover then and more forecast at the time (which materialised in line with snow-forecast -very impressive !). Weather looks ideal if a touch cold......willupdate the forum on return !

Very Happy
snow report
Well just back from a fantastic week at Obergurgl. Highlights:

Absolutely no queues
Plenty of snow although none fell in the week
5 days of unbroken sunshine but VERY cold
We managed to get home notwithstanding UK weather
8 year old skiied a gentle black on last day (we got a bit lost)
3 year old ended up with private lessons as the only one in his group
Locals very hospitalble -great night out in David's Hutte
Staff from Esprit unquestionably top notch
Only 12 months till we'll be back
snow report
MattWild, great - glad it worked out so well. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy