Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new skis - what next

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
well after a week skiing the last two years running I've caught the bug. I'm booking 2 weeks either side of xmas, and again later in the season. With a goal of feeling more confident on the reds (well at least more than I am now) and then doing a season/instructor course in 2011

So thought I'd 'invest' in some skis, having read the fall-line reviews, then thought most are too advanced for me, went to the metro show, spoke to a few traders, manufacturers and ski schools and plumped for a set of Salomon X-wing 8's (now thinking they are 10-20mm wider than anything I've skied before so - finger crossed Smile

Well having spent all that time deciding, I'm now wondering, what do I do now before and during my trips away? waxing? - they feel smooth, so do I need to do anything beforehand in this respect? Edges? - they are razor sharp, presume I won't need to touch them for a few weeks of slope time. bindings are already all set up for my boots, and set at DIN 6, shop said I may want to raise them to 7 as i get faster (I'm 6'2'' 87kg).

So really I suppose its just a general waxing advice question on new skis... any helpers? I have a suitable iron at work (normally used for sticking laminate on wood - shhh)

Cheers,

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to wax them, skis come with only stuff on them for transport. For new skis you really want to do about 5 'hot scrapes' (ie. scraping the wax off right away) to get a decent amount of wax into teh base before finally waxing normally for the conditions expected.

Leave the edges as they are, they will come set well from the factory.

Only raise your DIN if you are doing type III rather than type II skiing! If you are predominately skiing groomed leave it as type II.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
narc, sorry but your advice is incorrect. Hot scrapes are for taking dirt/old wax out of the base. For base prepping new skis ideally you should do a hot scrape first to clean the base then subsequent waxing should be left to fully cool to ensure that the impregnated wax is retained in the base before you scrape of the excess.

tompringle, welcome to snowheads. There's plenty of advice on my website but just give them a wax (a few is even better) & you're good to go. Your work iron will be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tompringle, when it comes to ski tuning spyderjon, is a wise owl. The tips on his website are great, as is the shop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so I need a universal wax, scraper, brass & horse hair brushes then to do a resonable job? or would a nylon brush be better than brass on newer skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tompringle, proof that once you pop you can't stop. Sorry, I guess you hear that a lot. Well done on the skis. I don't get so hung up on tuning and all that black art stuff.

Don't play with your DIN too much unless you find yourself releasing from the bindings a lot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I haven't put my DIN up since I started skiing although I ski faster down a lot harder slopes then I did as a beginner so I wouldn't recommend just upping it because you're more "advanced". Like parlor, says if you start pre-releasing for no good reason up it otherwise why would you want to (unless you're skiing somewhere where a pre-release would be more dangerous than them not releasing but I'm guessing not...)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor,
Quote:
tompringle, proof that once you pop you can't stop

You bad man Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy