Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Value ski wax iron from supermarkets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going to have a crack at repairing/waxing my own skis before Jan's trip as £25 for a edge and wax is getting to be too much, especially when DATA wax sell there own stuff on their site, for what seems a great deal..

So, my main question is do you good people recommend using a £3.97 value iron from Tescos/Sainsburys/Asda for the uses of waxing skis ? If anyone already does, what setting on the iron do you use.. or should I spend £40 on a proper ski one?

Also since I've not attempted any of this before are DATA wax products any good ? they are an English make I came across whilst searching for info...

Cheers for any help and advice

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-10-09 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I do exactly that. I use an ASDA £4 iron and set it to about 150, though that is not critical. The main thing is to keep it moving and feel under the ski to make sure it is no more than warm to the touch. You will soon get the hang of making the wax melt nicely and spreading it evenly. Results are good. You will notice a difference. I use wax from decathlon, and that is fine. No idea about DATA wax, but I would guess it will be OK. I mean, have you seen what happens when your skis go into one of those machines in resort?

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munkee, Data Wax make Polar X which a number of snowHead use it, do a search and your find the thread, I haven't used it so can't comment

Domestic irons don't have the same temperature stability as a proper one, the temperature will drop when you start to apply the wax and can take a while to come back up, I use a proper one.

You can wax using a couple of chairs, and other assorted bits of furniture but you might want to invest in a vice.

What are you going to do about your edges?

You could do worse than to look at www.jonsskituning.co.uk, on how to do it and for tools. Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've no idea what to do about the edges, was gonna buy a Toko Ergo Speed from Ellis Brighams
or
Get A Grip - Edge Sharpener from DATA

Was gonna attempt the waxing part first see how I got on with that before trying the edging Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Data wax is fine for your first waxing experience.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munkee, welcome to snowHead

I used to use a cheap £4 iron from Tesco, but really went for it and splashed out for a Toko T8 - £30 from Decathlon, so not a major outlay (relatively speaking). Data wax is absolutely fine for getting experience - bear in mind, though, that Polar X is primarily designed for dry slope and is pretty hard stuff - also suitable for fridges! Data do other waxes that would be more suitable to snow. Personally, I use Swix CH6 or CH8 depending on time of year.

Why don't you get down to the NEC at the weekend for the ski show? spyderjon (this will introduce him) is going to be there and I'm sure he'll happily help you out with all your needs. Bring your wallet! He also does a tuning course at his place in Nottingham (which is only up the road?) - details here. That Toko tuning thing looks okay (and is probably perfect for 'on the hill' work), but you'd be better off getting a 'proper' file guide and a chrome file (for initial setting of the edges) plus a diamond file for keeping them nice and sharp.

You can end up spending quite a bit of dosh on getting your own waxing and tuning kit but, I'm sure people on here will agree, it's definitely worth it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use a travel iron from Argos - cheap and small for packing in luggage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munkee, You really need to edge the skis before you wax as the edge file/guide will tend to clog up with the fresh wax if you use it after. The Data Get a grip edger is quite course and brutal and if used a lot will wear your edges away pretty quickly. Wear gloves too as one slip and the edge will slice your hand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munkee, for the sake of £4 its worth a pop, I tried with a travel iron off ebay but because of the temperature stability I gave up and bought a toko one.

It was just a pain, the wax would melt but then i'd find that it had cooled to much and wasn't doing anything, only for it to get hot and melt it again. I spent 30 mins attempting to do one ski and gave up, got a proper iron and got it on in now time at all.

Worth a shot though, if it works, brilliant you've got it for next to nowt. If not its £4!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used a normal iron for many years with no problems, although by the prices quoted here it must have been gold-plated as it cost about £12! A Philips iron if I recall correctly, and it is a full-size rather than a travel iron. For edges I use the Kunzmann Edge Trick procured from our very own Spyderjon (see link here). Don't forget a good brass brush too, for cleaning the base structure prior to waxing and for brushing after waxing and scraping.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munkee, don't forget your value Tesco nylon brush after you have waxed and scraped with you B&Q ruler, to polish the bases. Toofy Grin you will have of course have done the edges with your B&Q file, make sure you get a fine one, but start with an alu-oxide stone (not sure what the B&Q equivalent is), then file medium first then fine, and then debur with a gummi stone. have left out the diamond stones. Seriously if you are going to do your own then I agree with the above that the Get a grip edge sharpener is a bit harsh, you can use the edge trick if the edges aren't in too bad a condition, but if you have any dings you will need the Alu stone to smooth them. Oh nearly forgot you can use a scotchbrite pad instead of a fiberpad for smoothing the bases Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munkee, As above,pretty much.If you only have your own skis,a travel iron is fine(unless you want to splash out on a proper job)I used one for years,still do on the occasional holiday wax.Set around the mid point,so that wax melts readily when you touch it on.Keep iron moving on the ski.Expect the smell of wax..but NO SMOKE Shocked Feel the underside of the ski,no more than nice and warm.Remember,you have to warm up the ptex to open the pores.A cold surface is useless,no absorption,the wax would just scrape off on the first run.Dont be afraid to warm up the ski...some heat is good(just dont overdo it).As said,this follows any edge filing you may wish to do.
Data Wax is OK,in fact Polar X is pretty much the wax of choice for dry slope and domes.I found it Data waxes had limited life on snow.Far and away better is Zoom Dominator,as sold by spyderjon.Resist any temptation to ski service without vices...it really is a pain.So,if initial outlay is an issue...buy vices,travel iron,zoom wax,edge tool...enjoy wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So just to recap, for all the Pikey's out there (me being number one on the list)

Here's a Value ski DIY kit list:

Very Happy Supermarket Steam Iron : £3.87 (Available at Tesco or Asda) - Obviously never use it for its normal use or fill with water for steaming, also to note the sainsburys one has a telfon type base, which some say is bad for waxing skis, the Tesco Value one has a shiny chrome base, didn't check the Asda version.
    Very Happy Wax, whichever you prefer
    Very Happy B&Q files for the edges, start with medium, progress to fine - special edging tools at an extra cost, i.e. a Kunzmann Edge Trick Tool with Alu-oxide & Diamond Stones for best results
    Very Happy Plastic / metal ruler for scraping
    Very Happy Scotchbrite pad : instead of a fiberpad for smoothing the bases
    Very Happy Tescos value nylon brush 50p : used for finishing the base

Anything else ?

Toofy Grin

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 28-10-09 21:45; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munkee, You can get alu-oxide stones at B&Q too. It is worth getting a guide to hold your files, I use a Data one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munkee, I have skied hemel on candle wax.
I was suprised how well it worked but it only lasted the evening, it would not last a day.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, scented or not Laughing
snow report
anotherproblem, funny you should ask it was lavender. Very Happy
I used it as storage wax over the summer and decided to take my ski's last minute to hemel and did not have the time to take it off so decided to give it ago. Smile
latest report
Dwarf Vader, Having just checked out your website, is it you that does the ski tuning?! Surely you would of had time!

I might try the mulled wine candles on mine Laughing
latest report
anotherproblem, I Do, but I wanted to see how candlewax performed. It's that blokey thing. Very Happy
snow report
As far as Gummie stones, is this the same thing - would obviously need to know if the ski ones have course, medium or fine grit on them - I cant see the point in buying the one with Toko or Holmenkol on the package for twice the price when there available on ebay etc.

Garryflex abrasive cleaner
snow conditions
munkee, Skiing is the same as wedding. When used as a prefix to any product, said product automatically doubles in price.

I.e. Ski Jacket, Wedding cake
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy