Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Not sure if this is the right section but need some advice on skiing in Canada for a small group. We are wanting to go at the end of January and have a week in one resort and then a week in another. The advice gleaned from the ski show was that if we had a few days in Vancouver then 6 days skiing in Whistler. They suggested the next best place to go to was Sun Peaks. I did like the sound of Sun Peak and sort of preffered it to Whistler and most of the others. We are all good to higher intermediates. Can anyone give some helpful advice on whether the resorts are any good or any other helpful pointers. We were a bit concerned about temperatures at that time of year but most people said the likes of Sun peaks should be better than others further East.

Isuppose the risk is that more advice will muddy the waters even more,

Thanks

Will
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler is a wonderful resort; however, with Vancouver (and Whistler) hosting the Winter Olympics this year (starting 12th February) I'd give it a miss, as I would imagine prices will be through the roof.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you fancy sun peaks, Big white is the logical choice for another resort, just an hour or so away in the okanagan valley. I've never been to either but do fancy it someday.

Alternatively, how about a week in Fernie then somewhere like Panorama, Kimberley, Kicking Horse or even Banff. We did Fernie as higher intermediates and had a ball, it's an excellent place to learn more about skiing trees and steeps, to push yourself and imprive very quickly

Whistler then somewhere else would mean a day off to travel, as you;d have to go back to vancouver to get an internal flight - if I were doing it, I'd want to be able to ski all day, travel in the evening, and ski again the next day. You could even stop in a town halfway between two resorts. Remember that you're travelling in very wintery conditions too, so you won;t want to be too reliant on having to make a long transfer in case the weather closes roads.

I can recommend Frontier Ski if you are looking to go with a tour op, they were great when we went with them
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big White and Silver Star. Both about an hour from Kelowna airport, which you get to either via Calgary or Vancouver. No need to hire a car, as both are mostly ski-in/ski-out (unusual in Canada) and have frequent shuttles from the airport.

What you *don't* say is what your key requirements are. If you want an international resort, then by all means pick Whistler (where it can rain, but probably only rarely in January), or Banff (where it will be c*****ld), but if you want the real Canada, the stick to the smaller resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big White and Whistler a good combination. We had the same question and have gone for these two resorts for our trip next Feb/March. We are taking the driving option to Big White from Vancouver mainly cos we have a little one in tow. Whistler is a must if you have not been before but this year could be pricey due to the games.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We're looking at a week in Sun Peaks and a week in Big White next year and I've been doing a bit of research which may of help - although I must stress that I haven't been before.

The nearest airport to Sun Peaks is Kamloops and looking at flight prices there doesn't seem to be any penalty from Air Canada if you fly into Kamloops and home from Kelowna - use the multi-city option on their web-site.

Sun Peaks does a shuttle service from Kamloops to co-incide with the flight arrivals and Big White has a shuttle service to Kelowna.

According to the Sun Peaks tourist office, there are bus transfers from Sun Peaks to Big White and Silver Star (although I can't find any information on if the transfer exists vv). Also, Sun Peaks does day trips to Revelstoke and Whistler. All will run as long as you book in advance.

Another option is as nbt has said and combine Big White and Silver Star as they are sister resorts, both near Kelowna and have bus transfers between them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am from Whistler, and love it. The end of January however, you will start to run into some run closures due to the Olympics. From Jan 25th onwards up to 10% of Whistler mountain will be closed, Blackcomb is staying fully open. ie there will be more terrain available at Whistler, (even with all the closures) compared to other nearby resorts

I have skied Big White and Silverstar a few days every year for the last few season, and have always enjoyed myself at them. They are about a 6 hour MAX (normally 4.5 for me) drive from Whistler.

Sun Peaks I have been to once, and was impressed with the possibilities, however it was a bad snow time, and some of the mountain was closed (in February). However, I would like to go back one day.

Revelstoke is my next favorite resort after Whistler. It is only a 2-3 hour drive from Kelowna (Big White, Silverstar) and probably the same from Kamloops (maybe even less time). So it would be possible to combine it with those resorts.

In the end, I would firstly suggest doing Whistler, then base yourself out of Kelowna (Big White, Silverstar and a day at Sun Peaks or Revelstoke is possible)

Otherwise, I would stay at Kelowa and do Big White and Silverstar, then move to Kamloops and do Sun Peaks and Revelstoke.

That is for options mentioned. Don't forget Kicking Horse (at Golden) is doable too. I have done day trips from Kelowna to Kicking Horse.

The only other variable mentioned is the temperatures, those inland resorts can get very cold at that time of year, so can Whistler, but less likely. If you can't stand -20, then your best bet is the Whistler / Big White option.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for these replies, it is really great to hear so many other opinions and experiences. Sorry Rob for not putting in our requirements, an obvious oversite. Some of the party want to go to Vancouver what ever to visit family (they don't ski so can't offer much help). We have had a package put together by Frontier and are very impressed by them. But we are just trying to see what we could do ourselves and whether its worth it.

The temperatures are a factor and that was one reason to stay near the coast. There seem to be many good options, and this being our first trip to Canada I suppose we feel Whistler should feature in the trip especially as we're at Vancouver to start with.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of years ago, I went to Alberta. The temperatures might be colder, but it's so dry that it really doesn't feel -20C. I packed so much extra clothing but never really needed it. Depends on what sort of kit you have, but I don't think it's a real problem. If however you need to go to Vancouver for other reasons then that rules out a lot. I'm really not that taken with Whistler, too busy imho, and with the Olympics due then prices may well be up, and it may be busier. With Vancouver so close, I found it got much busier everytime it snowed. Blackcomb mountain in my view is much better to ski than whistler mountain. The fall line on Blackcomb is excellent and the galcier run is magic, Whistler has a lot of run intersections.

So, what I did on my trip was book two weeks in Lake Louise. Much quieter, a transfer from Clagary, plenty of variety. After a week I decided on a day at Kicking Horse, a bus runs from Louise there and back for a day.

What a place... never thought places like that existed. Went back to LL and packed up and spent the second week at Kicking Horse. The vibe of the place is incredible, and the skiing is awesome, plenty of scope to push yourself. The interior resorts are great places, and much quieter than the coastal resorts.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Canada is a great place. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are tied to Vancouver that kind of narrows your options somewhat and rules out some of the mentioned options of Fernie etc. I would personally avoid Whistler (I have no desire to go back , queueing mid week in Jan is not my idea of fun, plus it rained) and go for a combo of two from Sun Peaks, Silver Star or Big White. But I understand if you feel you have to do Whistler.

Have been to SIlver Star and Big White. We are off to Sun Peaks for New Year. We have two kiddies 4 and 7. If they can manage with the cold (and they generally ski all winter in Alberta where it is cold) I am sure you can!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a post from my blog about Whistler from last year. Monday February 9th to be exact. Awesome powder day and you could ski straight onto the lift.

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/11cm-overnight-bluebird-day-630.htm

Whistler can have big lines, IF you come during holidays or long weekends - otherwise I find the lift lines are non-existent. Avoid Whistler during those busy times, and it wont take long and like me you will want to live here.

Whistler has become perceived as having massive lift queues, when really it is just the human factor of - people are more likely to speak up about bad experiences then people are about good experiences.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everyone I know who normally skis in Whistler is giving this season a miss, owing to the price of accommodation and the presumed increase in skier traffic on the mountains.

I suggest trying somewhere else this season. I fancy the idea of staying in Kelowna myself and trying out some different resorts like wbsr suggested. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends how into your creature comforts you are.
I would very much doubt youneed to make a reservation any where in January (whistler excepted).

Theres this perception that you get powder every where you go in canada, but even in January its simply not true.

All the resorts are good for different reasons, but the best one is the one with fresh snow.

What about you rent a really comfortable car, a laptop, and chase the snow?

You will see heaps, get a whole lot of adventure, and never know quite what kind of place you will stay in next
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are staying in Sun Peaks/Silver Star or Big White rent a 2/3 bed town house or condo most have there own hot tubs.
We have used alluradirect/ ownersdirect and bear country lodgings in the past 10 years and usually stay in SP for 10-12 days and SS or BW for 5or 6 days. Usually book the lift tickets in May. If you book accomadation with one of the 3 then i think that lift tickets can be bought at a discount price but check on line. There is a shuttle bus between whistler and sunpeak sunday/wed/friday for about $150. There are resort transferes to Silver Star and Big White and day trips to Revelstoke. Look on the Sunpeaks web site under plan your trip for exact prices and how to book the transfers. We have used the Shuttle bus between resorts the bus driver will stop at the supermarket for you to stock up on groceries!
If you are looking at SS then the newly built Firelight lodge is 25% off this season its ski in ski out there are 1,2,3bed units look very nice.
We have stayed in some of the town houses in SS and in Snowbird lodge. Snowbird was great we had a 50m indoor walk to the ski locker then get the skis from the locker walk to the door to the outside about 5m 3 steps outside made of packed snow skis on and away.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Firstly if you go to Whistler then you will need at least two weeks to appreciate both the mountains. Especially this year as the lift cues will be huge... For what your talking about i would recommend Banff. Mainly because i love it but also because there are 3 resorts you can ski there. Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt.Norquay.

Yes Banff in January will be cold, probably -28. But hang on a minute, your going to the mountains, is that not what your expecting?
snow conditions
I haven't been to Banff in January without it pushing -40 snowHead
snow conditions
Snowy,

I'm not giving Whistler a miss. Booked months ago, for the post-Olympic period, and I'm anticipating reduced skier numbers because everyone like you has been put off wink
snow report
Acacia wrote:
Snowy,

I'm not giving Whistler a miss. Booked months ago, for the post-Olympic period, and I'm anticipating reduced skier numbers because everyone like you has been put off wink
Acacia

Ditto for me and looking forward to a quiet time
ski holidays
I would definitely hit up whistler. the amount of terrain is endless. you won't be disappointed. I would, however, recommend blackcomb over whistler (same ski pass so you can go back and forth). The slopes have a more natural flow to them and it seems like theres more beginners all over whistler. be sure to ride the peak2peak gondola while youre there. only thing that is disappointing is how it gets dark at like 3:30 or 4 Sad

If you're wanting to skip the crowds and the whole Olympic scene, head over to banff and lake louise.
ski holidays
Just a little stoke, the Big White rep said they already had 1.5' on Mtn as of friday.

So you've got W/BC and then another week skiing up the Okanagan ski areas or go big, drive forever, and go hit Powder King should be far enough north no worries about El Nino which may affect some of the other resorts.
snow conditions
I've had the pleasure of doing a 3 month stint in BC and hit quite a few of the resorts. I'd highly recommend Lake Louise, but probably stay in Banff due to the nightlife and restaurants, plus you're handy for access to the other resorts of Banff.

For the second week it's a tough question as to where to stay, and if you're up for it I'd suggest a tour, definately hit Kicking Horse and then either Panorama, or Fernie if you're prepared to drive a bit further.

Doing a week in Banff first would get your legs back in, then you'd be ready for the steeps at Kicking Horse which are unbelievable. Panorama has RK Heliski who are superb and really well set up and they'll take you to the most breathtaking scenery to hit powder.
ski holidays
Quote:

it seems like theres more beginners all over whistler.

Shocked

Not the bits I like Very Happy - But I do generally end up on Blackcomb more often than Whistler.
snow conditions
Snowy, well our main reason for not going to Whistler is that I can't get two weeks next Easter but it will save us a few pennies by skiing in Europe this season. We did get offered a good deal for our accommodation because we've booked it 3 years in a row now but aren't able to take it up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy