Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans 2009-10 Season

Poster: A snowHead
snowball, nice pics, must try that some time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trevor, this is a fairly exhaustive list of accommodation in the area, in Italian, but if you click on the Union Jacks there are pages in English with links to the websites of the establishments. 'Residence' and 'appartamenti' mean apartments.

http://www.miaaltabadia.it/operatori/corvara.html

This website will show prices and availability for your chosen dates, select 'Corvara-Colfosco' under 'resort or region'

http://www.suedtirol.info/Book_-_Buy/Search_-_book_accommodation/Search_-_book_accommodation.html:

Hope this helps! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Garni Bonaria, Corvara.

500m from lifts but very frequent free ski bus to lifts right by front door. Or get Ski Hire from Col Alto lift shop where you can leave skis overnight, (and can pay them to keep your own skis,) leaving you free to wander up to lift if you prefer.

On 2nd Jan week, 560 euro b and b for 2. Simple but friendly and comfortable with feather pillows! No evening meal or bar. Despite minus 15 temps, room so warm we had to open the window.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm really looking to heading out to San Cassiano on Saturday. I'm going with the family but will take a day out to do some off-piste stuff. The Corvara guides office do a day tour, including the Val Mesdi on Monday so that is where I hope to be a the beginning of next week. It will be quite a nostalgia trip for me as it is over 10 yrs since I was in the Dolomites (last time was in Canzei) and San Cassiano is where I first really began to crack skiing (it was my third week by that holiday so I was a bit of a slow starter)! Anyway it is now mainly off piste for me whenever time will allow and I came across this which has really whetted my appetite - http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437 Click the link and enjoy. These guys have put together a really good site with some great video at the bottom
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our first Dolomites holiday covered much of the same ground the same year: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50606&highlight=Dolomites

If, as someone suggested, you want to cut the Hidden Valley outing in two, the Lagazuoi Refuge(at the top of the cable car) is not really a normal hut since it has a big restaurant on top (which operates by day, and at night for the refuge) and though most accommodation is in several dormatories there are also private rooms. It is an inspiring place to spend a night and to be sure there is a place, you can book (see http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5Torri/ospitalita/RifLagazuoi/index.html) - see the TR above.
Obviously you'll need to take a few things in a backpack. Just make sure you arrive at the pass before the cable car closes!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 10-02-10 13:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, Great stuff. Just wish I wasn't buried under a load of work deadlines - can't wait to pack!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it sensible to drive from Ortisei to Corvara and then ski over to Armentarola to do the hidden valley? The reason I ask is that we have a timid skier with us who only really likes blues but will do the odd easy red. I had planned to follow Luigi's advice and timetable but I hadn't realised how timid the member of our party is. We have already driven to Plan De Gralba and that was a very easy 20 mins

Thanks

By the way, the Saslong black run Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike3000, I would not put a timid skier on the top of the hidden valley run - the first red is not, IMHO, for a timid person who will only do easy reds.

I have a shot of this in the snow media zone that will give you an idea of the red from the cable car platform - but I have not got a clue how to link it in the post.

EDIT: I have now snowHead

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike3000, I'm inclined to agree with CP, the first pitch is a steep red, his photo has flattened it somewhat. Further down there are some narrower red sections though probably not as steep as the first, not really a place to take timid skiers. A test would be whether they cope confidently with any red you come across in Val Gardena (the reds off the Ciampinoi are comparable), the last thing you want is to spend hours helping someone who is scared witless to sideslip their way down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to agree with luigi the photo does not depict the steepness. On the other hand it does show that it is very wide so traversing it is a possibility for your timid friend.

Good luck
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Luigi
Just to say your directions are in my ski jacket and tomorrow we set off for the Hidden Valley from Ortisei - skiing standard of my daughters friend looks fine - stamina may be the issue - we will find out!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, luigi, Thanks guys, we'll do it another time when she has improved.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Luigi
And stamina was the issue....., along with a 9.30 start, unpleasant conditions that slowed our more timid member of party down from Passo Gardena and above Covara through the cloud, which meant that we were not above San Cassiano until 12.30, and given speed to date today I cut short our attempt. Did a round tour of Ata Badia instead.
Bad news in one way , but in another - means I have to come back again - and Colfosco looks a good base next time...
Tomorrow is the Witches Tour
Thanks though for the advice - we had a great day even if unsuccessful in its primary aim!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gallabar, Just thought I'd update having got back from a fabulous week in the Sella Ronda area. We stayed in San Cassiano with another family. I got to ski the Val Mesdi with the guides from Corvara - http://www.altabadiaguides.com . The route is spectacular. We were lucky enough to still be able to get some nice bouncy fresh powder, although not in the steeper gully which was pretty compacted. The route is fairly tame and I am looking forward to teaming up with the same guides next time and doing some tougher routes. However, Val Mesdi is still well worth it for the landscape and I would not have missed it for the world. Having said that, it is very popular and we were far from alone in doing it that day. If I can suss out how to post a picture I will post some.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's half way down the gully.
snow conditions
StanBowles,
Are you the real stan bowles? I thought the real bowlsey's only pastime were football and the bookies!!
ski holidays
daveqpr, No Dave. Sadly not, I wish I had a 100th of the football talent of Bowlesy. I am a QPR fan and it seemed a great nick name. I fear, though, that we are going rapidly off topic so better stop our mutual admiration of QPR nostalgia (but not sadly the current state of our club). I thought I'd cracked the way to post pics but obviously not. I'll try and get that gully shot up and some other Val Mesdi pics on later.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy