Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Park USA

Poster: A snowHead
Has any body any advise on Winter Park USA. I am thinking of taking the family next half turm. This is the same time as Presidents Week - is it busy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HI. Went there year before last. Had a good time, but i really suffered with the altitude - so if you are susceptible, beware. Good skiing, friendly, cheap. Need a car though. No evening scene as such. Hope this helps. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were in Whislter for president's week in 2001. It wqs also "altitude", the festival for gay skiiers. GOd, it was busy...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob D, any special reason to choose WP over some of the other, more out-of-the-way resorts in Colorado? For example, Steamboat, Beaver Creek, and even the Aspen complex are likely to have fewer skiers that week than WP and the Summit areas.

Now, I admit that WP is my least favorite major Colorado resort, so I may be pushing my bias on you a bit!

Now, to your question: YES! It will be very busy at WP that week. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob, Winter Park will be busy that week. If you can go at other times, you can get the place to yourselves, almost!

Here's some shots from the last time I was there, which was 3 years ago:
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Resorts/WinterPark.html

It's not the place with the most nightlife, but the skiing is excellent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the comments, but unfortunately due to kids and my better half working in education half term / Presidents week is the only time we can ski. Busy is of coures a relative term 30 min. queue at the bottom lift in the morning is busy! or taking the chair down back to the resort, rather than risking the only run back, is busy. So when you say busy what sort of queues are we be talking about? We have short listed Winter Park as it looked good green / blue skiing for the kids who have only done a week and my wife likes piste cruising. Personally I can ski any where - well I did work on Cairngorm for 5 seasons! As for night life - if it involves anything more than a cup of cocoa its not for me. Still I would welcome suggestions on other resorts.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-03-04 21:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob, it's busy by US standards during that week. If you turn up for the first lift in the morning, expect to wait 10mins. Most lifts will have a queue at them, but the queues are managed, so you may wait a minute or two at some (and up to 5mins at Timberline lift)
Winter Park has a lot of greens & blues, and a good selectiong of more challenging blacks and bump runs.
I'm sure you'll love it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rob D, as Fox says, you'll likely enjoy it. But, given your requirements and the time of year, I'd suggest that you at least consider Steamboat and Snowmass, too. WP gets a lot of local skiers from Denver, especially that week!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is Breckenridge just as busy that time of year? as that is the other resort that fits our buget!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rob, I think Breck would be busier with tourists, while WP will have more people from Denver.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rob D, I admit to some confusion on this point. Have you looked at Steamboat? I don't believe that it costs any more than either of these others, and will be much less crowded than either of them.

I agree with WTFH's assessment, FWIW.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh, one of the problems coming from the UK is that the tour operators do very good deals on certain resorts, but not on others, so it may be a similar price for you to stay in steamboat, but when its packaged in with the flights, the tour op may give a higher price, unfortunately.

Rob D, have you looked at Ski Independence? They may be able to offer you a good deal on other resorts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the help WTFH is correct a 11 day trip to the USA has to meet the family budget. We are looking to use Crystal - WP is the second most cost effective next to Beck which we are now looking at. I have thought about independent but given the peak time we have to travel it would appear all the best flights are already booked by the tour operators! unless somebody can point me in a good direction for flights?
Our plans may have to change anyway! Our 2 kids are in different schools and one has changed over to this new 4 term year which means they have different half terms and Easter!!! - Talking of Easter next year. What's the snow like last 2 weeks in March and is this also a busy time in the USA?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob, I have skiied Utah and California at the end of March and its a bit like Europe. It can be crap because the snows melting fast, with rocks showing etc, but it can be brilliant due to late dump. You pay your money and take a chance.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rob, you'll get good snow in Winter Park at Easter. (as for independence, I meant the company: www.ski-independence.co.uk )
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Rob, you'll get good snow in Winter Park at Easter. (as for independence, I meant the company: www.ski-independence.co.uk )

Hey Thanks for the recomendation Spoke to them this morning and they have all ready emailed me 4 quotes Madeye-Smiley
snow report
They are good. Who were you speaking to? Nick is their sales manager, I've skiied with him before, but all the sales staff are good, and know their stuff.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy