Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not helmets, but.....

Poster: A snowHead
I'm fairly new to snowHead , but I think I've grasped the idea that it's not a good idea to ask about helmets (BTW just bought one at the Ski Show).

But, what's the general consensus on body armour for skiing? Snowboarders wear it, but they seem to spend most of their time falling over anyway. wink

I was thinking of getting something to protect my shoulders, as one of them is still dodgy after a bad fall a couple of years ago.

So, does anyone use it for skiing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a back protector for motorbiking and would consider using it for very rocky off piste skiing or for in the park. Generally I don't think that I require it but if I had a prior injury then it would be on like a shot. They are fairly comfy these days after all.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 25-10-09 21:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have an exisiting injury I would go for. Even just for piece of mind. I would suggest something light with decent materials. Forcefield make gear that would fit the bill well. I've used Dainese in the past (for DH biking) and it is comforatble light and not too bulky if you pick the right suit.

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/category/Protection/Body-Armour/-143

forcefield gear sold here, may find a better price somewhere else. 'Protective Vest' would be the kind of thing I would recommend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a Forcefield back protector, and did do when on both of my two seasons, I saw many others with the Dainese. I was always told that the Dainese protected against hyper-extension of the back, where-as the Forcefield did not, protecting simply against force impact. I add this simply for those who are considering buying a back protector, DaddyLouLou may just be looking for shoulder protection of course.

I think that if you have had a previous injury it may not be a bad idea, I got to the point where I felt extremely exposed when I didn't wear mine. I would definitely recommend them for anyone who skis park and powder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaddyLouLou, If you have an existing injury I would go for it, I can't advise you on what to go for, but theres no point doing further damage to it is there! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaddyLouLou, As you might imagine this topic has been covered before but nothing like as extensively as helmets - see here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1312277

Never worn back protectors myself but would do if I was getting into park skiing. You mention a dodgy should is that the clavicle or something else as whilst I am no medic I'm not sure a back protector would help much with a clavicle injury, although I've seen a couple of them on my season.

Where a back protector would have helped a buddy last season was on a relatively mild, relatively empty red run in good vis and nice snow conditions, gunning it pretty hard on his board he caught and edge, flipped a couple of times and fractured verterbrae - end of games for him.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on the trade-off of protection and over-heating.. ... Can be VERY sweaty, I'd think...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice. Cool

I've ordered one of these. It's got the shoulder protection I want/need, plus a removable back plate, for those days where I start doing daft things rolling eyes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, I dunno... when motorbiking the ridges in my back protector let air circulate and stop the sun heating my back up though the leather jacket. Might work the same for skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used the Forcefield vest and back protector for the whole of last season following a detached shoulder injury at the end of the season before. This combination gets 9/10 not 10/10 only because a new vest without pads is expensive if you want one vest to wash and one to wear.

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/

I bought mine in a Honda Motorcycle shop.

Still looks brand new after a whole season of use skiing 5-6 days a week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaddyLouLou, just like ski helmets (ducks) they protect against impact injuries such as colliding with rocks, trees, other skiers' edges etc.

It certainly doesn't cause any harm, and is an extra layer when it's cold!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, I didn't know duck wore helmets.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Id imagines that body armour is only necessary for serious off-piste terrain. I have a helmet but I only use it occasionally, however I will change that approach this year and wear it most of the time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skyhawk wrote:
Id imagines that body armour is only necessary for serious off-piste terrain.

True to a degree. But some "rocks" are moving fast on board/skis...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i use this for dh biking and have used it for skiing/boarding and found it very comfortable

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SixSixOne_Pro_Pressure_Suit/5360035099/ not the cheapest though
snow report
chewy192, That looks very similar to the one I've bought. I was probably going to use it without the back protector though.
ski holidays
I bought hubby one of these for the end of season last winter, after he had broken his neck. I don't think it would have stopped the initial injury, but we didn't want to slow down recovery. http://www.slytechprotection.com/products/slytech-2nd-skin/back-protector/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy