Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worth the trip to Hemel?

Poster: A snowHead
Haven't been out on the ski's since my trip to the Alps at the start of the year. Looking to get back on them, i do have a dry slop near me but to be honest i just won't enjoy it as much as real snow!
Hemel hempsted seems to be the closest snow centre to me, is it worth a 1 1/2 hours drive? I was thinking of using my own kit (boots, skis etc), is this adviseable?
Also looking to go on a quiet day, was thinking a weekday morning?

Hugh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hugh_b, lots of people use their own kit, so no problems if you want to bring your stuff. Weekday morning is a good choice, Monday and Tuesday probably being the best days to visit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hugh_b wrote:
Hemel hempsted seems to be the closest snow centre to me, is it worth a 1 1/2 hours drive?

This is how long my journey to Hemel takes - and I seem to think it's worthwhile enough to get there twice a month! Toofy Grin It's definitely worth trying to get there on a weekday if you can.

rob@rar & skimottaret hold monthly coaching sessions there, if you can make it to one - highly recommended snowHead http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53025
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hugh_b, wot cathy says.

cathy, are they paying you? Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, don't discourage cathy, she's been very quiet online lately, you might scare her away. Then rob@rar & skimottaret will need a new groupie Madeye-Smiley

hugh_b, second cathy's recommendation though! rob@rar, invoice in the post Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hugh_b, Definitely worth the trip.
And if you go to one of rob@rar and skimottaret's coaching sessions you will meet some lovely people Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, that's four groupies who've posted in as many posts! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, looking at the definition of groupie, you three can speak for youselves! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
hugh_b, wot cathy says.

Agree with this as well Laughing
It is worth the trip just to remind your legs what they should be doing rolling eyes I would also suggest an early morning trip if you are not having lessions (Inside Out recomedation here as well Laughing) it might be a bit quieter then snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've only been to Hemel once for the opening snowHead snowHead meet there. It's about 2 hours from me and Tamworth less than half that so I'd tend to go to Tamworth more often. However, although smaller, the snow quality at Hemel is far superior and it certainly seems to have equally friendly staff. I'm sure I'll make the journey there again one day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, Part of one of the definitions is, 'Most commonly viewed as consumed by their interest, as opposed to the normal realm of enjoyment experienced by the great majority of public'. I think all of us might find it hard to deny that description applies to us Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, "daring and often irrational behavior, as well as, loss of self control" seems about right

however "obsessive adoration of entertainers such as musicians, actors, athletes, and even political figures" , well some of their expence claims were entertaining, but never thought of them as entertainers!

EDIT 18 'The untalented who follow the talented around, to try and get some talent rubbed off unto their dull, talentless shoulders.' woops!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Iski, anarchicsaltire, Laughing Laughing I must admit I didn't get past the first definition Shocked , but I think your quotes seem to fit the bill Madeye-Smiley

Quote:
18 'The untalented who follow the talented around, to try and get some talent rubbed off unto their dull, talentless shoulders.'

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, It's a slow night Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anarchicsaltire, if you got to definition 18 it must be! See you tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Also looking to go on a quiet day, was thinking a weekday morning?

Defininately worth going when it's not busy. If you do go when it's busy don't expect a nice coffee afterwards as the Costa coffee service is appalling. How difficult is it to devise a system of coffee making that operates satisfactorily?
ski holidays
made the trip down there this afternoon! Very impressed! Good facilities, freindly staff, decent lifts, snow was good and the food isn't too bad either.

Pleased that i brushed up on my skiing and will be going back again soon!
latest report
hugh_b wrote:
made the trip down there this afternoon! Very impressed! Good facilities, freindly staff, decent lifts, snow was good and the food isn't too bad either.

Pleased that i brushed up on my skiing and will be going back again soon!

Was it busy in the afternoon? The morning was fairly quiet after the madness of half-term last week, and the snow was great Smile
snow conditions
not too bad, we started at about 4.45 as we had to grab some lunch beforehand. For about an 1 1/2 hours it was quiet, in the last 30 mins it got a little busier as younger kids in big group lessons came onto the slope. So i'm told 12-5pm is normally pretty quiet.

I think i might try a morning session next time.
snow conditions
We went at the weekend, Sunday afternoon 4-6pm. The first 45 mins were busy, then it went quiet and we spent the last hour skiing straight to the lifts with no one in front. Very surprised for a Sunday afternoon. It was our first time there (MK is closer) so no idea if this is typical.
ski holidays
hugh_b,

It takes me 90mins from where I am and I'd have to say no, not worth it.
There might be a decent reason for one or two trips but otherwise is all gets too much and I'd rather put the time and money into a short trip to the alpes.

If I lived within a hour, then I'd think differently...
snow report
hugh_b, definitely worth going to get your ski legs back. However, you'll get so much more from a trip to an indoor slope if you have a focus, so I'd also recommend one of rob@rar, and skimottaret's coaching sessions. I've not been on one myself, but I have done instructor training courses with them so know they're good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy