Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At what point do you need new shiny boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I think this here skiing lark is now starting to click. What I want to know is how do you know when you will start to benefit from a newer, stiffer, tighter pair of shiny ski boots? At the moment I'm in a set of ladies Head 8.8's, they are comfy, though I think the liner is starting to pack down a bit as the buckles are now completely at the limits when I tighten to the point that I think they need to be. These have seen about 5 weeks use plus several sessions in a snowdome and are comfy and I seem in control of the skis in them. At the moment I can't really afford/justify the expense of a new pair, but do begin to wonder if my skiing would be any different if I got some. What sort of boots are the 8.8's - are they beginner boots and at what point do you know that a different set of boots will help your skiing?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-10-09 19:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Unless they start to hurt I'd stick with them. It's unlikely that stiffer boots will do you any favors, unless you start racing (and even then I'm not sure it will help).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Different ski's are probably a better bet Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do a shell check to measure the gap between your heel/shell & report back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
What sort of boots are the 8.8's - are they beginner boots and at what point do you know that a different set of boots will help your skiing?

They're a good Intermediate to early advanced boot. Perfect for your present skiing, as long as they fit well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum wrote:
What I want to know is how do you know when you will start to benefit from a newer, stiffer, tighter pair of shiney ski boots?

When your technique is good enough to notice the difference!

Megamum wrote:

At the moment I'm in a set of ladies Head 8.8's, they are comfy, though I think the liner is starting to pack down a bit as the buckles are now completely at the limits when I tighten to the point that I think they need to be.

Surprising - you should find that as well as twizzling the buckles round, you should have a selection of 4 or 5 metal tongues that you put the clip into prior to snapping shut. Have you tried using these? Last season I moved from the 3rd upto the 4th as the liners packed down. You can also move the tongues on the boot with a screwdriver.

Megamum wrote:
These have seen about 5 weeks use plus several sessions in a snowdome and are comfy and I seem in control of the skis in them

Nicely worn in I would believe - I bought new boots last season and would expect them to last another (40 weeks or so) before I start looking for new/better/stiffer ones.

Hope this helps

PS looking at shiny new kit at the ski-show is a bad idea Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett,
Quote:

PS looking at shiny new kit at the ski-show is a bad idea

Embarassed Am I that transparent? Embarassed

Spyderman,
Quote:

They're a good Intermediate to early advanced boot. Perfect for your present skiing, as long as they fit well.

That's what I wanted to know - I didn't know what level they were aimed at - that is very useful - thanks, sounds like they are worth sticking with for the time being. It also bears out what the chap in the shop suggested when I bought them, which was that they weren't his entry level boot which he was unwilling to sell me as I would outski it very quickly and that this pair should do me better service.

spyderjon, I do know that they are tad on the large side - CEM checked the shell once during a snowdome outing and reckons possibly a half size too large. However from what Spyderman, It sounds like they could be worth persevering with. However, they currently don't have decent footbeds in them, maybe if I think they could be made to fit better it would be better investing in some decent supportive footbed and a fitting session with someone that knows their stuff. Esp. as I can't really afford a new set at the moment. I have picked up on here that these footbeds help to transfer the pressure rather more immediately to the ski, and maybe a set would not do any harm esp. as now there is a little more volume in them from the liners packing down.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When the colour no longer matches your new skis/clothes!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, It's the little metal tongues that I've run out of, they are fitting OK, but I'm on the last one at the moment - I'll check to see if they will move - you've jogged by memory that I think the chap in the shop showed me another hole in the boot shell which IIRC he said the buckle could be moved into.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, The liners shouldn't have packed down much after only 5 weeks use - what do you do to dry and air them? I find that if I just leave the liners in the boots I gradually have to do the boots up tighter, but if after every few sessions of use I take the liners out, remove the footbeds, and dry/air the whole lot thoroughly they go back to pretty much new state. Mine have done 7 weeks on snow plus about 150 sessions on dendix, and I can't see any permanent packing down yet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you feel that your foot isn't being held well by the boot. For example, is your heel lifting inside the boot even if you tighten up the buckles as much as possible?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I think the heels are OK, but the boots DO need to be done up quite tight to stop the movement and the last couple of times I've noticed that when I get the boot tight enough there seems too much pressure across the calf and its less than comfy after they been on for some time - for example after the last HH do I was feeling where they had been pressured across the calf. I know its the lower buckle on the leg that fits the heel, but when this is shut tight enough I then find that the upper buckle won't stay shut unless its tight too. Where I do have space is at the front where the toes are - there is plenty (emphasis on plenty) of wriggle room, it makes them nice and comfy, but I wonder if it should be tighter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, if your foot is being held OK I don't think there's a problem, even if you have the buckles set on the tightest click (as bertie bassett said, the buckles on some boots can be moved to give you tighter settings). If the shell is the right fit for you one option is to replace the liners with Zipfits which will probably give a more precise hold.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
When the colour no longer matches your new skis/clothes!
Well the suit's no longer bright orange is it? Laughing
david@mediacopy wrote:
Megamum, Different ski's are probably a better bet Toofy Grin
New skis? We'll have to see what Santa brings along! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BMF_Skier, no it isn't, but then the boots were never orange either Toofy Grin .
ski holidays
I could feel my feet moving about inside my boots and my skis weren't doing what I wanted, particularly on non-groomed snow so I got new boots. If you don't feel anything wrong with them do you think you would feel anything better with new boots?
snow report
lynseyf, Its a bit like saying well I'm happy with the way my 10 year old skoda drives and I don't want another car because I'm not sure that another car would drive any better, because I've never driven a posh car so don't know how they drive. Ski testing helps with skis, but you don't test boots in the same way. Also, there seems no way to definitively say that any boots fit because bootfitters don't have xray eyes, at least with leather shoes, say for children, the leather flexes sufficiently to feel the foot in the shoe and you can see if the toes are too tight/not tight enough. From what I see ski bootfitters have to rely on feedback from the client, but I don't know about you, but I don't know how tight a properly fitting boot is supposed to fit - what is 'comfy' to me, may not be holding my foot snug enough to be 'fitted' as a pro-bootfitter would think his own boots fitted him, I might therefore say that the boots feel OK and go away happy, when if I had gone for a snugger fit they would have skied better. There are lots of subjective things like this. If there is nothing that visually says that something is right or has happened that someone else can experience on your behalf who knows how it is when it is right, then it relies on feedback from the individual who, if they have no point of reference, then has problems with saying whether something is right, wrong, better or worse than before. I guess it is the skill of the bootfitter to guide the client through the process and encourage their expectation of how it should feel.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
From what I see ski bootfitters have to rely on feedback from the client,

Not CEM, he can tell at 10 paces whether a client's boots are going to be too big or not. I've seen him do this a few times, and when he's then done a shell check he's always been right. Feedback from the client will be helpful to a good bootfitter, but they will have a good understanding of foot shapes and will have an equally good understanding of the different shapes and sizes of the boots they sell, so they should not need to rely on the client saying too tight or too loose.

At the risk of being accused of "well you would say that wouldn't you" I think there are better ways to improve your skiing than by experimenting with stiffer boots. Work on your technique (by lessons and practicing) is likely to have a much bigger effect on how well you ski. IMO you are very firmly into the law of diminishing returns when you are looking to make setup changes to your kit. Undoubtedly that will have an effect, but not nearly as much as some good lessons.
ski holidays
Yes £350 on ski lessons with the right instructor will improve your skiing much more than £350 on new ski boots
ski holidays
Quote:

bootfitters don't have xray eyes

Some do so always wear clean underwear Toofy Grin (second time I've given this piece of advice today rolling eyes )
snow report
When you can ski everything on the mountain (on & off piste) in comfort and your boots are affecting your precision or when they wear out or physically start hurting.
latest report
Megamum, If you've asked the question then sub-consciously you've already decided to get some new boots. So get yourself to a bootist and hand over the readies wink
snow report
rob@rar, It would seem from all the comments that the boots I have are fine to continue with, which is good news as I couldn't really justify the expense of a new pair. At least I have asked the question as I was being encouraged to do wink . Mind you I will look to see if there is any movement on the buckles that I can find to get them fitting comfortably at the middle of the teeth rather than at the extreme ends as I think this will put the pressure back where it is comfy on the calves. Also, I can't wait to have another go at the drills that you showed me as you say, lessons as much as anything else can make a difference. Your comments about bootfitters also show why there is variation in peoples experience and success of bootfitting, from what you say it would seem that experience breeds the best fitting. There were some very young advisors working with the considerable number of punters at Olympia and I have to wonder how many of the boots fitted will be on the feet of happy clients after a week of the snow.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
There were some very young advisors working with the considerable number of punters at Olympia and I have to wonder how many of the boots fitted will be on the feet of happy clients after a week of the snow.

Never buy boots at ski shows, and always get recommendations for bootfitters (and instructors Wink).
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I might therefore say that the boots feel OK and go away happy, when if I had gone for a snugger fit they would have skied better.

Maybe, but I think you are chasing diminishing marginal returns. Spending the money on training will yield more return for your money.

It sounds like you are really getting into this skiing business wink

Why not hook-up with your local slope and try and sit in on their instructor training program ? It will do wonders for your technical skiing. Some slopes offer it as a 'pay' option until you are at the stage you can do some work for them.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Do a shell check to measure the gap between your heel/shell & report back.

Megamum, do what Jon says......and report back
snow report
david@mediacopy, Nah...I'll leave the instructing to those will real aptitude.

However, yes, I am really into this skiing business at the moment, I can't wait to get out on the snow - its got to the stage where its started to be fun and I've started to look at some things that were scaring me witless and now think 'I can get down that - {glee}'
snow report
kitenski, CEM has already confirmed that I'm about a half size too big.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:

well that combined the fact that your are on the tightest buckle settings leads me to suggest new boots may well benefit you....
latest report
Megamum, Also worth bearing in mind is that the tighter the fit the less comfy they are. I can only just move my toes, certainly can't wiggle them. A recreational fit is between 15-25mm shell check, mine is 7mm, so by the time you've taken into account the 6mm for the liner, that leaves 1mm for comfort. Even when the liners pack down they'll still never be loose. I've just gone for the new thin Zip-fit liners, they're only just becoming tolerable to wear for extended periods. Hopefully after a few more sessions they'll be as comfortable as I expect them to be.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Megamum wrote:

well that combined the fact that your are on the tightest buckle settings leads me to suggest new boots may well benefit you....

Move the buckles.
snow conditions
Colin B, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
riverman, too true. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Spyderman,
Quote:

Even when the liners pack down they'll still never be loose. I've just gone for the new thin Zip-fit liners
CEM told me that Zip-Fits don't pack down (as he relieved me of the cash, with an evil grin on his face.)
snow report
Quote:

bootfitters don't have xray eyes

They don't need them now. Half the boots are see thru Wink

Just got back from CEM myself, with a new snug pair of boots.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

Even when the liners pack down they'll still never be loose. I've just gone for the new thin Zip-fit liners
CEM told me that Zip-Fits don't pack down (as he relieved me of the cash, with an evil grin on his face.)

The cork doesn't, but the furry toe box and inner liner material will - Hopefully.

I was referring more towards the OEM fit liner though.
snow conditions
Spyderman,
Quote:

Hopefully.

Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Spyderman,
Quote:

pack down is prehaps not the correct term to use, the stock liner that comes with the boot is made from soft compressible foam it "packs down" the zip fit liner has cork and clay putty which slowly moves the heat of the foot and the motions of skiing cause it to find the spaces and removing pressure from tight spots.... it settles in more than packs down...the more it settles the more you move into the material which gives the net effect of more space
ski holidays
CEM, yes, understood. Shall look forward to that - also to the fact that the putty will continue to keep moving and not degrade. I'm hoping these shiny boots will 'see me out' - I'm not quite such a sucker for new gear as some who shall remain nameless. wink
snow conditions
i went out skiing one day last season....
Decided that I would ignore the door-open-warning-light-thingy...
Turns out my boot was open...
But I only noticed when I came sliding to a halt as I had missed my turning...
Shut the boot...
Went to car-park...
Then put on first ski boot...
And that was about it!

So... buy new boots when one of your boots falls from the boot to leave you with just one boot.

Got some nice shiney Atomic Hawk boots in A-Team black and red Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy