Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book now or wait till last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone Smile

Me and my partner are wondering what to do?
With the current recession climate and TO cutting the number of the accommodation they provide is it a good idea to wait for that last minute bargains?

Last year we went to Val Thorens in March. We booked it a month in advance as special offer for £400 (accommodation + flight). It was catered chalet. It was ok but the room was tiny.

This year we decided we can spend a bit more, around £500 (accommodation + flight).

I am spending a lot of time searching TO websites looking for a good offer. So far, no luck. I am getting frustrated because I don't know what to do. Ideally we would like a catered chalet in Saalbach in Austria, close to the slopes and not to noisy at night. We also would be happy to go back to Val Thorens or to go to La Plagne.

Should we wait hoping the prices will come down and there will be spaces available?

I'm worried we may end up in some crappy place and tiny room(again) if we wait to long.

We are looking to go in January or March to avoid any school holidays.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book now mate. You'll get the best overall value if you do. Last minute deals are normally cheap but the value is mostly terrible. I feel the TO's are still expecting people to head to the mountains this coming season so they aren't really offering 'cheap' deals. Its still early enough to cut deals direct with hotels and flights are pretty cheap now. I booked a trip to Tignes for £500 flights, accom and transfer.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 24-10-09 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For long weekends when it's just a couple of us i quite often leave it late.

For bigger holidays, with a group with a chalet, I normally book about now -ish. Mainly because i like to give people chance to cough up gradually rather than having people let me down if we try and do a last minute!

I've used these people a few times, and include the link only as an idea of what prices you can get... http://www.igluski.com/val-thorens/chalet-flocon-de-neige_p4170?holidayid=23037996&Oid=49952365 They don't have any chalets in Saalbach.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I say book now the TO have tightened up on capacity as many of them got burnt last year. That means that there will be no repeat of the rock bottom deals that were available.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nemeziss, just booked 2 flights to san francisco on march 25th for £1000 and a double room for 8 nights in south lake tahoe for $300 (yes thats three hundred dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!) £600 each for flights and acc in tahoe is a steal........book now IMO.............

okbye
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just found few good deals for 6th of Feb in France, Les Arc. It's a French school holiday time. Is it not better to avoid this period especially if you can?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The deal is £505 reduced from £705. 4* catered chalet + flight. I think it's a good deal. Just the time period isn't great...?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nemeziss, It IS a French holiday week, but not (IIRC) the main one (that is w/c 20/2 I think Puzzled ) Much depends on what you want, where you want it and how fussy you are. You COULD wait until last minute, but you'd have to be flexible about where you went and be aware that you may well end up in the "tiny" room, as that will be what is left. Capacity has been slashed by TOs for this coming season, which reduces what is on offer in the first place, and so reduces the chances of much being left to sell off, but individual owners are offering some great deals, if you are happy to organise your own flights and perhaps transfers too, although again, many private owners offer these as part of a deal. IMO you get a better standard of accommodation, food and service from individual owners as it's their livelihood. You CAN get some great bargains by booking late with a TO but I'm not sure this season will be the best to try hanging on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nemeziss,
book now as there will be nowt available later on
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone stayed in Chalet Turnia in Les Arc 2000? I believe it's a part of Les Chalets des Neiges. I read some bad revies about it so just wonder should I book it or not. The deal is good for £505.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
damn i was planning to book last minit this year as the flexibility would be useful

perhaps its not such a good idea
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nemeziss, if you like quiet slopes, it would be better to go at the end of January. I would have thought it was worth waiting if there are just two of you, and you are flexible about where to go - but there aren't many catered chalets in Austria.

For me, just about the least important aspect of a holiday is the size of my bedroom. If the bed's comfortable and there are plenty of hooks on the wall to hang up your stuff (which there aren't always, surprisingly), what more do you want from a cheap holiday. The location of the accommodation and the quality of food is much more important in my book. And snow, of course, but the TO can't do much about that.

Anniepen makes some v good points about owner-run chalets.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Nemeziss,

I booked today using the same offer as you mention on the 6th of Feb for the Chalet Laitet 2 in Meribel-Mottaret, reduced from £669 to £469 which for the feb in Meribel seemed a pretty awsome deal especially as there's 10 of us so we got a group discount on that plus a free ski pass for the group leader (it's a skiworld deal and the group leader is me Very Happy ) although i booked via chaletline. worked out as an average of £404 each! woo hoo!

They've got the chalet below as well Laitet 1 for a similar price.

I had a look at french school holidays and only 1 region of france has school hols that week and it's the week before uk half term i think? The french region is mainly the north and north west so the local kiddies will still be at school that week which is handy.

Certainly as a couple you may well pick up a cheap deal late on and sneak into an otherwise full chalet however your taking a risk so if you see something you like, within budget and available now then i'd do it and then you can forget about it.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was going to book now but my mate who is an area manager fro one of the big tour ops told me to hold off for a while as they are really struggling to shift hols and demand so far is well down on what they were predicting. There is only 2 of us going though in the first week ofMarch so not much competition for our proposed spaces.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

There is only 2 of us going though in the first week ofMarch so not much competition for our proposed spaces.

It'll be a busy week in French resorts (still French half tem). If that's where you're headed, the following week should be quieter.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There is only 2 of us going though in the first week ofMarch so not much competition for our proposed spaces.

It'll be a busy week in French resorts (still French half tem). If that's where you're headed, the following week should be quieter.

No worries Pam, off with my younger bro to introduce him to the pleasures of Austrian apres ski somewhere. To be honest as far as dates go we just pick one of the cheapest, warmer (hopefully) weeks in the second half of the season and shoot off then so not tied to that week in particular.
ski holidays
Sky News website has this view.

Quote:
Crystal Ski product director Ian David said: "In the last four weeks our sales have been really good.
"Last winter was a pretty tough year actually, we found that bookings did drop off and we had to adjust capacity for that, but this year we're seeing a rebound which is great."
snow report
nemeziss, I've written an article entitled, "Skiing through the credit crunch" - basically a list of ideas and suggestions for doing it cheaply. I can also point you in the directions of a few chalet operators in this neck of the woods (or rather the mountains). PM me your e-mail if interested.
ski holidays
ollski wrote:
I was going to book now but my mate who is an area manager fro one of the big tour ops told me to hold off for a while as they are really struggling to shift hols and demand so far is well down on what they were predicting. There is only 2 of us going though in the first week ofMarch so not much competition for our proposed spaces.

Crystal Ski product director Ian David wrote:
"In the last four weeks our sales have been really good.
"Last winter was a pretty tough year actually, we found that bookings did drop off and we had to adjust capacity for that, but this year we're seeing a rebound which is great."

Contradictory reports but I think I know who to believe on this one and it isn't the company spin doctor's press release.
snow report
Many smaller operators still have xmas and new year weeks free - which suggests things aren't great on the booking front. if you can, book your flights for your preferred date ( i've mine booked for the 6th feb) and keep an eye on the private operators for deals.

IMHO the big TOs have really cut back on supply but even at that I think they are struggling too. They seem to be pushing people to book early. I suspect they maybe have options which they can exercise, or not, depending on how bookings are going. At the end of the day the accommodation isnt going to evaporate, someone will be selling it if it's not the big TOs.

Catered chalets aren't an Austrian thing - for a bargain you are more likely to get a small family run hotel which will be invariably spotless, a little twee, with traditional fare - done them a few times and they are grand - but prefer the chalet arrangement - just a pity it's mainly in France. .
ski holidays
nemeziss, FWIW, I'm with luigi and eithnem...................

John.
snow conditions
I work for a small family owned ski company (not trying to sell anything so no names!) and just did the Metro show for them in London. We certainly have plenty of space left (apart from Feb half term and news years week). Speaking to all the other guys there on the various stands - there is plenty of space still out there and loads of deals. We had a lot on enquiries for January but for anything else - hold out would be my advice!
snow report
pam w wrote:
nemezissIf the bed's comfortable and there are plenty of hooks on the wall to hang up your stuff (which there aren't always, surprisingly).

BIG HUGS for you!!! I'm a fiend for hooks and spent ages sourcing really nice ones for the chalet. My OH is always taking the mickey out of me but I think it's vital to have lots! I'm adding some more this year as a some rooms only have six and I'd like 8 as a minimum in each - four on the back of each bedroom door and then at least four more. Plus two big racks in the hall.

There were some mutterings about too many of them but it's so handy when you're on holiday.

I will be presenting your post as EVIDENCE Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 26-10-09 14:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Oh on the original post I would book your flights now, to Geneva or Lyon, say, and look out for a good deal on the accomodation nearer the time.
snow conditions
firebug, Laughing Laughing . I am going to buy some better ones for the bathroom door next week, provided the shop that I bought the bedroom ones in is open.
ski holidays
We have booked today. Going to Saalbach. DIY trip.
Accomodation £327 including meals, en-suit bedroom, ski in/out
Flight from Gatwick £104 return
Transfer £62 return
Total: £493
snow conditions
nemeziss, Congratulations! That sounds very reasonable (assuming the date and location are good). £7 under budget too.
snow report
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question:

Me and the oh are planning a low season trip, the cheapest week looking to be 2nd-9th jan. As its low season am I right in saying this is one of the 'safer' weeks to hold out for a last min deal? Or could a diff week in jan be better?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skola, I can't see how anyone makes a profit on their prices for that week, I think they just look to cover costs and keep the staff working, having made their money over New Year. I don't think you can expect prices to come down much for that week.
snow report
bar shaker, I have most often gone either that week or the following one, and I have never paid within £100 of brochure price. I have had times when I have got the week for less than 50% of brochure price.
ski holidays
Hooks are more important than a wardrobe. Clothes that aren't ski stuff don't need a wardrobe and can stay in a suitcase, worn ski stuff needs to hang somewhere!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Smile you can never have too many

Skola, that's my favourite week to go! You can always hold out for something then, I think.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-10-09 11:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I always go first week in Jan, not just because its the cheapest but because the slopes are bilssfully quiet and the weather has always been good in terms of snow coverage.
latest report
Thanks folks.

Due to work cimmitments I think ill be booking last min, hopefully find a good TO deal as flights etc will no doubt be more expensive by then.
latest report
Book after you get there.
ski holidays
I booked yesterday (v early for me) and got the last room in the chalet that I was looking at. If it had gone I'd have had to re-think, but the chalet we went to in Feb this year is almost completely full.
ski holidays
Skola, I've been looking and the cheapest week seems to be 9th jan this year with the big TO's. In fact we have just booked the Arlberg in St Anton with an internet discount, plus£100 off per couple and 2 for 1 lift pass. Didn't think it would get much cheaper if we held out. I have also noticed that flights from manchester are disappearing, limiting my choice, so I've booked and I'm happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy