Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

blonde moment please help-do new skis need servicing before i can use them?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, Iv just bought a new set of skis, something iv not done before. Just wondering will they need servicing or something before i can use them or should they be all ready to go.
Anyone know, help most appreciated
thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tmc, do they have bindings on them? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tmc, if the skis have been properly finished (front sections of edges (first 15-20cm) should be dulled to stop them hooking when starting turns) then the skis will be ready to slide. They're almost certainly pre-waxed by the factory if they're any good.

One little tip if you're new to owning skis: carry a block of wax with you. If and when you encounter new sticky snow, a minute's rubbing-on of the wax from tip to tail will keep the skis sliding nicely. Avoid rocks like the plague - they ruin bases and edges very quickly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tmc, it will depend on who supplied the skis, some shops set the skis up as ready to go, others don't, if the bases (the bit that goes on the snow) have been structured (have a series of tiny grooves in) then they will have been pre prepared for certain but most shops wont do that in the UK, they may have put some hot wax on though. Best to do as DG says and taake a rub on or spray on wax with you, if you find after the first day of skiing that the skis are sticking to the snow instead of running smothly across it take them in to a service center in the resor and have them waxed properly
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tmc, they will not need to be waxed and edged before you use them, however the bindings will need to be set for your boots and skiing ability and weight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you bought them from a reputable ski shop then they should be ready to go. The shop should have mounted the bindings correctly for your boots, and set the DIN setting appropriate ti the details you gave them. If they didn't: take them back and insist they do!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Make sure that they are waxed! Not every shop sets the skis ready to go. Ask, if you're not sure. Also, David Goldsmith, not everyone like to dull the tips and tails these days. In fact, most mfrs suggest not doing this, now. However, this has always been a personal preference thing (I haven't dulled back my tips or tails in 30 years!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, thanks for all the advice. I bought the skis for nevisport over the net so the binding are not fitted yet but im planning to take them in to get fitted for free. Think they should be able to help me out on this. cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy