Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which way and which resort - instructor course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am interested in doing an instructor course that will get me to stage 2 so I can work.

Ok fine well its approx 7,500 no matter who you go with without flight usually and a few evening meals, reading between the lines its not quite half board having 4 meals in the evening per week.

I have some bigger questions really and hope those of you in the know might shed some light.

Should I do things independently if I can, i.e. pay for my course when I'm at the resort. 7,500 is a lot, I am prepared to pay this for an investment in myself but its just covering half the season.

Also I'm looking at the following resorts for this and wonder what would be better

whistler
bamf
mount washington

val d'isere.

open to other ideas. info on relative costs etc.

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With a quick click on BASI's website, L1 currently sub £500 and L2 just over £500. So a grand on course fees gives you £6500 to sort out accommodation, etc etc etc for the courses. Depends a fair bit on whether you think you will need much training to achieve a pass at both levels and also you would need to sort out ski school experience hours (these are often included in the package deals), but this shouldn't be too much of a problem depending on where you are/go..

This is not to say that the 'gap year' type of course isn't good..it all depends how much cash you have...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
By the time you finish the instructor course you will have spent the best part of 10k. If you can justify that cost, go for it.

It is Banff** btw.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool offpiste, good advice there I think it is really possible to get a whole season of accommodation for 6500 not just the 11 weeks. I'm not the kind of guy who needs to get plug and play and pay extra, I can organise and work something out.
At the end of the day after the 11 weeks are over I'm in the cashless position and trying to get a room at this point is going to be tough.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have decided that I'm looking at banff whistler and valdisere. The cost of accomodation in val is quite prohibative. But is it a lot also in banff and whistler ? I like a vibrant nightlife but am looking for a relative comfort too so I think that accomodation in canada will be more spacious, but am I right in saying that canada resorts are a 30 min at best ride to the slopes. Im used to a walk or 10 minute ride to the lifts, over a long season this could get very tiring ? I would value input on this post thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When considering your options of training on an intensive course for your ski qualifications vs training independently, you have to take into account that there are a lot more variables than just accommodation and exam costs. You will need a season lift pass which could cost you about $800-1000 in North America and considerably more in European resorts such as Valdisere. You then have to consider food costs. Although no intensive courses will feed you 7 days a week, many will provide breakfast 7 days and evening meal 4-5 days a week. When you consider that in a week you would potentially only have to fund 9 meals as apposed to 21 meals, the difference is considerable.

The level of certification you are interested in achieving is a high standard and even if you are already a good skier, will require an element of training to pass. Even in the rare instance that someone's technique is perfect and requires minimal training to pass there is still the teaching element to learn. In one 11 week course you would receive 220+ hours of expert coaching which would not only stand you in good stead for the exams but will take you beyond this and make you an excellent skier and instructor, you'll be way ahead of the game.

We're not saying that everyone needs to do an 11-week course, or even a shorter instructor course as there are people who will pass without it. What we are saying is that the courses offer much more than just qualifications.

If you are keen, then my advice would be to choose a course that starts early to mid season (Nov - Jan) and then when you finish the course with your certification, the season is drawing to an end and you won't need to find further accommodation. If you intend to do a level 2 course, working the same season is rarely a possibility if you do an 11-week programme because of the amount of training you are doing but many companies will offer you work experience which will equip you with the tools you will need for the next season in order to instruct.

The main plus about doing an instructor course is the experience of being with like minded people, all training with the best of the best instructors for the same thing, helping each other out and having a great time while they're doing it! With the added bonus of gaining qualifications as well.

Whatever path you choose I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a fantastic season!

Adam
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you need to do the full 11 week course? I did Canadian 1 and 2 in Soldeu, Andorra with Instructor Academy - one week for each course. It cost about £1500 in total for travel, hotel and course to pass level 2.

Have you looked at Interski, their BASI 2 comes in just under £5000 I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mojito, Where you go depends also on which Association you want to belong to, where you want to teach and how far you're going to progress in your qualifications, whether it be CSIA or BASI.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mojito, what's your ski background? Where do you want to work? How old are you? Do you intend to make this a long term career, or is it so you can do a season or two and then maybe part time weeks?

All the above are relevant to the advice we may give you. I did a Gap year course and it was a waste of time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and my skiing improved, but I was already pretty much at the level needed to pass L2 at the start of the year. If I'd had people I could get advice from, I'd have done BASI L1 and L2 during uni hols, and used my gap year to get to ISIA level. As it is I didn't, and I'm still slowly working my way to that point in work holiday time 6 years' later...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stay away from BASI, money grabbing people!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1969jma, doing BASI L1 and L2 is much cheaper than doing a Gap year course. It only starts getting expensive if you do L3, and that's because they have to fulfill ISIA's training hours and other requirements. CSIA doesn't meet ISIA requirements!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy