Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots...Resort or UK?

Poster: A snowHead
I have had trouble with my existing ski boots and am thinking of purchasing a new pair. Should I buy in the UK or wait until I go to Austria at Christmas we are there for 10 days?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UK much cheaper at the mo. Most important thing is to get a good fitter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah thought as much. Are fitters better in UK or in resort (generalising)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd disagree. If you buy from a good boot fitter in a resort at least you can take them back if they are uncomfortable after you've skied in them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004 wrote:
I'd disagree. If you buy from a good boot fitter in a resort at least you can take them back if they are uncomfortable after you've skied in them.

That is what is appealing to me I have to say, although I don't know how good the fitters will be in Austria. Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a thread on this topic a while back, with SMALLZOOKEEPER arguing his corner from Chamonix, and CEM his corner from Bicester, but I can't find it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dk100 wrote:
Yeah thought as much. Are fitters better in UK or in resort (generalising)?

No Smile

Seriously, some UK ones are better than some resort ones, and vice versa.

For buying in the UK - Cheaper, doesn't eat into your ski time.

For buying in Resort - Can try immediately for long enough to really notice problems, then go back for adjustments. Usually more choice of fitters in one area, so better chance of being able to find one who is well recommended.

That is not intended to be in any way exhaustive, there are other factors which may or may not be important to you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's the same here in Austria as in the UK - in some shops there are some really great boot fitters and then on the other hand there are some really rubbish ones.
Whereabouts are you going to in Austria? Maybe someone on here knows where there's a good fitter in the area you're going to. Failing that, if you decide to wait until you're in resort, try and talk to some local ski instructors, they might be able to point you in the right direction of a good fitter.
Having the opportunity to ski in them and then take them back for adjustments is great, but maybe you could do that in the UK in one of the fridges anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dk100 wrote:
erica2004 wrote:

That is what is appealing to me I have to say, although I don't know how good the fitters will be in Austria. Anyone have any experiences good or bad?

I think the essence of the debate is a good fitter is a good fitter wherever they reside, a bad one doesn't become good simply because his shop is next to the Hannenkhan or his boss or former owner is/was a good fitter. So go by named recommendation.

In resort you can get issues tweaked but also they know that you'll be gone at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Not if you tell them your there all season in the next village Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
internet
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say unless you know a place in the Alps with good customer service and an excellent boot fitter go for the uk. I found a lot of Frenchmen were quite dodgy salesmen last season. Trying to flog me all kinds of crap without even looking at my feet and saying things like "All the French ski instructors wear Lange". You can always get them fitted properly in the uk and then tweaked in resort (although I guess you will get charged twice).

Good luck. The quest for the prefect boot is always quite tricky.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a geezer in Bicester that ain't bad. www.solutions4feet.co.uk
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
UK. I'm my experience most resort places just try and rip off brits looking to save a few £s. With the exchange rate as it is right now, the UK is probably much cheaper anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a place in Zell am See so go there regular, does anyone have any experience of a good bootfitter in the area?

Sadly Bicester is too far for me to travel otherwise I would go and see.
ski holidays
i found the best answer was to get orthotics and take them with me before i got boots. my wife and me saw dr les bailey phd at his bristol clinic and he was able to make us some especially for ski boots. we,d read his book, the laymans guide to foot and heel pain and he really knew his stuff. treated loadsa ski fans apparently? may help? Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy