Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I hire a car from resort? (Val Thorens)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am tagging along with the local uni skiclub to Val Thorens, they are travelling out by bus from Stirling!

Basically I'm happy to go out with them but would like to stay on a bit longer, hire a car and have a little road trip, drop the car back at the aiport and fly back (Geneva)
Val Thorens has on their webbie that car rental is possible from Moutiers, do you think I could hire there and leave the car at the airport, would they deliver the car up the mountain?
Anybody with any thoughts on the above?

Thanks folks.

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's even possible it would no doubt be pricey to get a car dropped off in VT. Why don't you just use the public bus between VT and Moutiers? Even hiring in Moutiers and dropping off in Geneva will be expensive. Personally, I'd do the sightseeing on skis in the 3 valleys. The only place I can think of worth stopping at between VT and Geneva is Annecy which is really a Summer resort. Only my opinion obviously....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sparkzter, If you are under 25 you also have to pay an additional premium to hire a car. It doesn't always show up when you make the initial enquiry, you have to search through the terms and conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch wrote:
If it's even possible it would no doubt be pricey to get a car dropped off in VT. Why don't you just use the public bus between VT and Moutiers? Even hiring in Moutiers and dropping off in Geneva will be expensive. Personally, I'd do the sightseeing on skis in the 3 valleys. The only place I can think of worth stopping at between VT and Geneva is Annecy which is really a Summer resort. Only my opinion obviously....

+1

Just spend the time skiing - given all the uni crew have departed you'll actually be able to get on the slopes for 09:30 and might get to see some of the 3v. If you ask around there might well be a 'space free' on a transfer bus leaving the resort at the end of the week - or else get a bus to moutiers and get on the train.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+ 2

Annecy can be quite gloomy and grotty in the winter. Much more often cloud-covered than it will be up in the mountains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett wrote:
If you ask around there might well be a 'space free' on a transfer bus leaving the resort at the end of the week - or else get a bus to moutiers and get on the train.

If you are getting the altibus back, make sure you buy the ticket beforehand. We saw a couple of people get turned off because it was fully booked for the return to moutiers...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sparkzter

I've looked at one way drop offs in the past involving various alpine permutations/locations. Prices are always beyond extortionate - especially if hiring in one country and dropping in another (eg Geneva airport). By way of random example, the result for a Hertz rental for 7 days in January 2010, pick up in Moutiers, drop off at Geneva is cars from £600 Shocked Shocked

Needless to say, I haven't booked one of these yet.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sparkzter, and there was I thinking students had no money? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Prices are always beyond extortionate - especially if hiring in one country and dropping in another (eg Geneva airport).

I've done a one-way hire from Albertville to Geneva airort (french side) which was not ridiculously expensive. Same country. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with pam w on that one. I have booked from Moutiers and dropped off at the French side of Geneva and did not have to pay any extra. In fact I have never been charged any extra for returning the car to a different rental location in France, I have also rented from Geneva returning to Chambery, Grenoble returning to Geneva and Geneva returning to Nimes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In fact, given that airport car hire prices tend to be silly - and are certainly silly this year - it could be cheaper. Getting down to Moutiers is a breeze. Loads of ways to go, constant traffic; unless you look like an axe murderer you could hitch.

When I hired a car into Geneva it was because mine was laid up with a poorly clutch. I needed a new vignette for Switzerland anyway and - miracle of miracles - I managed to persuade the woman selling them at the Bernex border crossing not to stick it on my windscreen (I had been practising the necessary French all the way from Albertville wink ).

Be aware that is likely to be an additional cost - you can get into the airport through Geneva without using the motorway though, if you are a decent navigator and have read the necessary Snowheads threads beforehand. snowHead

The question of where to go still exists though - a different ski resort is the obvious answer, I suppose. If you're rich.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy