Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skunked by whiteout conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Skunked by whiteout conditions Shocked

Sorry if this question has been posed recently. Just curious, how often have you had a ski holiday ruined by numerous consecutive days of very poor visibility in the Alps?

In the US this is almost unheard of, except for perhaps Pacific Northwest. True above-timberline-terrain (no trees in any direction for hundreds of meters) rarely constitutes more than a small minority of a resort's ski terrain in the US because of our latitude. Even on heavy snow days there are usually plenty of treelined runs or glades that you can utilize to enhance visibility and depth perception for skiing.

Thought of this question after reflecting on a morning last April at Arapahoe Basin, one of the highest elevation ski areas in Colorado (more than 12000 feet/3900 meters), when I experienced very bad visibility conditions during a storm. It forced us to leave the upper 30% of the mountain and follow snow fences to move to lower elevation glades and treelined trails. Later in the day brilliant sunshine returned.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
never in 20+ years of skiing the Alps.

What makes you think there isn't plenty of treelined runs in the Alps?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same as kitenski, never in the Alps. The only time I've been in a whiteout was 2 days in Steamboat, Colorado.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can anyone translate? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can only remember one day in Passo Tonale March 2006. Tonale is high and when the cloud came in I was right in the thick of it. Wasn't so bad that I couldn't make out other skiers and piste markers though. However, it was a good day to ski down to Ponte di Legno amongst the trees, much better visibility down there. The following day I had glorious sunshine and fresh snow and took the bus to Madonna Di Campiglio, brilliant!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whiteouts are great. The pistes are nice and quiet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once in almost 40 years of skiing, although I have chosen not to ski on occasions because of lousy weather I've only been unable to ski due to incredible snowfall once, on that occasion teh avalanches were coming down every few hours so they couldn't open lifts, runs etc for a few days
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The pistes are nice and quiet

No, there are loads of other people out there; you just can't see 'em. wink In 7 seasons I've rarely known more than a day at a time of whiteout conditions. However (and all this has been argued before) in a real whiteout, as opposed to a bit of a fog, trees are useless because you won't see them until you hit them. Those days when it's nice to ski below the treeline, to give you that perspective etc., but can then keep up a decent speed are days of poor visibility/flat light, NOT whiteouts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can only recall three proper whiteouts: one in North America and two in Europe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only ever twice, once in Whistler, once in Tignes.

Oh! And once on the Haute Route - now THAT was scary.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flat light, yes, often, but a whiteout - never for a week, just for a day or two.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adrian wrote:
Whiteouts are great. The pistes are nice and quiet.

Whiteouts or near whiteouts are appalling. All you see is white - no trees, no markers, nothing. It feels incredibly surreal. Flat light is another matter, and whilst a challenge, can be enjoyable, simply realising that you can cope.

I can remember just one day in a near whiteout, fortunately with a great guide, Andy Perkins. It can't have been truly a whiteout, because somehow I could see him just ahead, and he knew where he was. But it was like being in a live video game, with him skiing ahead against a background of white, and me blindly skiing with him straight down the fall line of a not-very-steep slope. Not something I want to repeat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lucky33, I had a week once where it snowed heavily every day. Bloody brilliant it was too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a few have said real whiteouts are rare*, there may have been some last season but generally if the weather was that bad the higher lifts were shut so you wouldn't have known. I had a moment a few years ago in La Plagne when we descended through a thick low cloud, visibility must have been less than 5m which was reminiscent of a mild whiteout without the wind, fortunately after a couple of hundred metres we came out the bottom. I've had horrific conditions in Avoriaz too where it was so cold and windy your hair would freeze to bars on chairlifts (painful when you stand up!) but I wouldn't term it a whiteout as you could see a good 10m.

* except in Scotland where they are termed decent conditions. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It can't have been truly a whiteout, because somehow I could see him just ahead, and he knew where he was.

I skied with my OH on a day like that, down a very easy run but a very bendy one, with drops off the side. He insisted I went in front, and kept very close, so when I disappeared off the edge he could just stop in time, then make kind and encouraging noises when I side-stepped back up again, desperate not to lose a ski. It's almost entirely tree lined (basically it's a road through the woods) but the trees were invisible.
snow conditions
Ah, days like these:

^ View up the Ciste Bowl near the foot of the Ptarmigan Ski Tow - Sat 12th April 2008

^ View diagonally down Ciste Bowl to the Ciste Ski Tow - Sat 12th April 2008

Laughing
snow report
snowball wrote:
Flat light, yes, often, but a whiteout - never for a week, just for a day or two.

and me...

The good thing about bad vis is that it often brings in the snow so that is a good thing...
I've had some very memorable days in bad light... and some not so good ones...Laughing
snow report
Winterhighland - no spots of rain on the lens? Beautiful weather!

I got caught in the tail end of that hurricane last year that swept across france and spain in january, truly horrible conditions, but only for 1 day. By far the worst conditions I've ever seen in France, but rest of the week was lovely.
I think the Alps get unsettled weather more than the States - a storm rolls in and then rolls out and low pressure systems don't seem to hang around as long, so though you might get cloud and fog, it won't (usually, in my experience) settle in for a week at a time. Also the huge vertical available means that you can ski above or below dense cloud a lot of the time.
snow conditions
Only a couple of individual days in all the years I've been skiing. Soll and probably Tignes, but I can hardly recall them, so that must be an indicator as to how frequent it has been.
Skiing in a whiteout - use the force luke. Cool
latest report
In 60+ weeks of skiing in the Alps I have had quite a few whiteout days. These dont occur often and normally the following day is great powder and bluebird skies. Couldnt put an accurate figure but in those (calculates...) maybe 64 weeks I have skied no more than 10 real whiteout days. I do quite often enjoy them, as has been said, the pistes are empty and if you stick to stuff you know whilst using the piste markers (or of course get in the trees) it can make for a good days skiing.

Now NZ...thats a different story, I just got back from 13-14 weeks of skiing at Cardrona. The weather on that mountain is some of the worst I have ever been in, dont think we had more than 8/9 days of sustained good weather at a time! if it snowed it was horizontal if it was clear it was often very windy! One day the road shut stranding everyone on the hill, too many people crashing their cars into the ditch in the wind/snow. Other times the chairs were shut with people still on board for almost 45 minutes (hitting the pylons in the wind).

The thing is there are several ski fields in NZ with far worse weather! Went to a race at Mt Hutt and had piste patrol pulling you off the peak chair as you were literally pushed so hard into the seat you couldnt get off! Oh yeah, not a tree in sight so nothing whatsoever to help with the visability.

(still had an awesome time though despite the some truly painful and horrendous training days)
Very Happy
latest report
R555MAC, your recollections from NZ sound so much like my experiences of homegrown skiing. Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
never in 20+ years of skiing the Alps.

What makes you think there isn't plenty of treelined runs in the Alps?

andyph wrote:
Can anyone translate? Puzzled

OK, I'll bite. Smile

The percentage of tree-lined vs treeless terrain is very high in N. America. A-basin being given as example were one of the highest, top 1/3 treeless. Majority of US/Canada resorts may have 10-15% of their "terrain" above treeline. So, whiteout/flat light don't really change how much of the resort can be skied.

In the Alps, how many resorts (especially the "snow sure" ones) have more than 2/3 of their piste tree-lined?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 22-10-09 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
moffatross, haha, I can imagine so, still its all worth it for the good days! Cool
ski holidays
moffatross, Skied for my first week in Glenshee in the early 70s didn't see anything for the first 4 days! Sun came out and I bricked it on Tiger having merrily done the "wee bumpy things" the previous days with no probs! Saw the blue ice at the top of Cairnwell and wonder where f**k had that come from! Never had a problem with ice again!

Anyone who has skied the Scottish resorts knows what whiteouts are only too well! But they're fun too - stop, listen, OK let's go that way I can hear "Rent a crowd" it must be the lift queue Laughing

Teaching with your back to the wind with horizontal icicles coming off your hood, so that the wind takes your instructions to the group 3 metres away - wonderful days! Toofy Grin

BASI in the early days - wonderful - not!

Sue wink
latest report
under a new name wrote:
lucky33, I had a week once where it snowed heavily every day. Bloody brilliant it was too.

Laughing Laughing
Skiing while new snow is falling is one thing (and a fine thing), but trying to ski when you can't see enough to tell where the ground ends and the air starts is another thing. Flat light is not fun either, but very manageable in comparison.

My handful of ski days in the Alps have all been sunny and terrific. It's interesting for me to read in this thread that the whiteout factor is not that big a threat to skiing in the Alps given the high percentage of above timberline terrain.
latest report
Out of my 18 days of skiing. I've had only 2 cloudy days, none of really bad flat light. The rest have been bright sunshine snowHead

Been blessed with great weather and conditions when skiing.
ski holidays
lucky33 - the chance of a sudden thick whiteout day it's why they like to have plenty of mogul runs. If you can't see, ski by braille.

Bumps = route down. If you run out of moguls, proceed with caution.
ski holidays
After two visits I would suggest Obertauern gets a lot of flat light and semi whiteouts with few treelined runs to retreat to. Webcams transmitted on local tv showing multpile angles from neighbouring lower resorts showed much better visibility generally so there's definitely a price to be paid for guaranteed snow. Similarly lowish Zell am See was fine early last December but our instructor pointed out that Kaprun had been shrouded in cloud for much of the time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
only one real day of white - out and I was the last one off a chair lift before it shut and the mountain shut down. I got stuck on the piste for 30 minutes waiting for a slight break in the weather so I could see the next piste marker and make a dash for it. It was in St Anton and on the blue run just above where the Galzig gondola finishes. It took me 30 minutes to go a few hundred meters form the chair to the godola and the sound of the motors of what I assumed were piste bashers when i was on my back bottom in knee deep powder was a bit worrying. Probably just those skidoo thingies with pisteurs on them ... hopefully Very Happy

Never a week or even a full day though Very Happy
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The pistes are nice and quiet

No, there are loads of other people out there; you just can't see 'em. ;-)

You can't hear them as well either.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, respect on your perseverence although I bet you were better dressed for it than half the people you were instructing who I guess would have been lucky to be dressed for a snowball fight with woollen gloves, jeans and fur rimmed anoraks. I've skied the tiger a few times and most often it is frozen solid, something to do with facing NE & getting about 10 minutes of sunlight even on a blue sky day. Smile I don't like whiteouts much either, they're OK on foot (if properly clothed and with navigation gear) but on skis there's a disconnect with the ground that produces a false motion and means I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Sliding into an unseen snowdrift a few feet in front of you at 0.5 mph and immediately falling over is (sometimes) quite amusing though. Laughing
snow report
I've only experienced a true whiteout once - in Whistler. I was standing still at the side of the piste and wondering why I felt queasy and dizzy. Then I realised I was actually travelling sideways quite quickly! I could barely make out my knees when I looked down, never mind my skis or the ground.
latest report
I consider myself a reasonable skier but if the weather turns bad and i can't see much in front of me i loose all confidence. Went over to the Swiss side at Avoriaz once, the weather came in and then we had to get back over the mountain and down to Avoriaz, it ws hell. One thing you soon find out is cheap gear is no good in crummy weather, decent goggles are a must.
ski holidays
schuss in boots had the experience of seeing me in a whiteout in La Plagne. I am a wreck, I feel queasy and want to vomit, bit like sea sickness. mrsfatcontroller has seen me a few times in whiteouts and finds it funny. I now head in once a whiteout starts, they terrify me.
snow conditions
I love a whiteout. Yes real ones. The feeling of letting go is really quite special. I wouldn't want to be in a real whiteout somewhere I didn't know like the back of my hand though.
snow report
Its quite fun when you are in one... if you know where you are. I do feel seasick afterwards though.

Worst whiteouts I have had - Zermatt, Morgins
ski holidays
Quote:

I got stuck on the piste for 30 minutes waiting for a slight break in the weather so I could see the next piste marker and make a dash for it.

Quote:

I could barely make out my knees when I looked down, never mind my skis or the ground.

these are genuine white-out experiences and many skiers will never have encountered them. Anyone talking about using trees (which are necessarily a few metres away from the side of a marked piste) or following the piste-markers is not speaking of white-outs. In a genuine white-out you can only see a piste marker when you're really close to it and you have no chance whatsoever of seeing two at a time.

I once encountered a white-out on one of my occasional forays on a snowboard. I was on an easy piste which I knew very well, in a nice position, well balanced, felt I was coping well with it. Feeling rather pleased with myself, actually. Then, as the mist cleared a little, so I could see the ground, I noticed that I actually wasn't moving at all......it was a gentle gradient, there was quite a bit of new loose snow on top of it, and I was going nowhere. Felt a right idiot - and was glad nobody else could possibly have noticed.

There are a whole range of less dramatic conditions of poor visibility which present their own problems, and can sap people's confidence (especially flat light where an entire field of moguls can disappear entirely). In poor visibility trees are a great help and piste markers essential.

But in a white out? Just head home if you can, or to the nearest restaurant, and hope for something better.
ski holidays
In two seasons of daily skiing in Tignes (One of the least tree infested resorts in the Alps.) I have had to ski by sense of smell about twice really. I was with guests for one of those times and they were seriously disorientated and I had to take one of them down between my skis and her other half's in a three man snowplough (Or fat bitch sandwich as I later recall terming it.) The temperature had dropped considerably and some of the party were showing signs of frostbite so we took the fastest route home with just a stop for warming up/seeing if it improved.

It does get challenging if it's a whiteout up there, but by god it shows you whether you can ski or not!

I would say Tignes is representative of quite a lot of high Alpine resorts especially the Tarentaise, although other than VT most have more trees to use/crash into.
latest report
Kaiser, "(Or fat bitch sandwich as I later recall terming it.)" How very dare you, it's a slow metabolism issue!
snow conditions
PsychoBabble wrote:
Kaiser, "(Or fat bitch sandwich as I later recall terming it.)" How very dare you, it's a slow metabolism issue!

Sorry PsychoBabble I didn't think we'd meet again here! NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy