Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just Got Back from Soll

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just to let you all know, i just got back from my week in Soll had a great time and enjoyed skiing in the best snow conditions Soll has had for 8 years (according to the rep). And it was starting to snow again, as we were leaving. If anyone's interested i can do a mini review when i get a spare 5 minutes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mini Review
Yes Please
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay, here goes. If I miss any bits out please ask.

I booked the holiday through Airtours as a last minute deal, 3 star allocated on arrival. We were on the early flight which left London Gatwick at 5:55 AM, arrived in Salzburg about an hour and 40 minutes later where we collected our luggage from the bus stop outside the airport which confused us a bit as we expected it to come via the luggage belt, we then met the rep and were allocated our hotel which was the Eggervert. The bus transfer was pretty painless at about an hour and a half due to their being no traffic on the road and as a result we arrived in resort at about 10:30AM (which according to the rep was the quickest transfer ever) so not surprisingly our room was not yet ready so we went for a walk round the village and did a bit of exploring. Soll itself is quite a small little village so doesn't take too long to go from one end to the other.

The hotel we stayed in was a nice clean, well-run hotel with friendly staff, the only thing it lacked was a nice bar area, food was good but basic. Soll village is approx 20 mins walk from the gondola, which take you up to the ski area. There are ski busses, which stopped outside our hotel, but because we were at the end of the village they were often full up before they reached us. We were warned about this in advance and were advised to get the first bus which was 8:20am, which we did and just about managed to get on the bus (standing room only), there is ski and boot storage at the bottom of the gondola which I would advise any late risers to take advantage off, so that you can walk to the gondola in your trainers etc and not have to lug all your ski gear about. One day we had a late night and got the last bus at about 10:00am which we managed to get on, standing room only but by the time we got to the gondola there was a 30 odd minute queue Sad One other time we tried to get the second ski bus at 8:40, but it was already full so waited for the next one which was also full and eventually got one about an hour or so later and hit the gondola queues again. Moral of the story is get the first bus or walk up to the gondola.

Once up the gondola you reach the ski area which, fortunately for us had the best snow conditions for 8 years or so, they had well over a meter of snow the day before we arrived, and the sun was out and the skies blue just the way I like it snowHead all the pistes were very well maintained. Piste bashers were out all the time keeping the pistes nice and flat but there are plenty of moguls and jumps slightly off the pisted area giving you the choice. Our biggest gripe was the piste maps, they were utter rubbish, some runs aren't listed, most are numbered incorrectly. Best way to navigate around the ski welt is to rely on the signposts on piste and the piste maps at the bottom/tops of lifts, which were very good. On the second day we ventured around to ellmau / scheffau and struggled to find our way back because we were using the piste map (paper one) and were looking for a red 51 leading on to a blue 43 when in fact the runs were actually red 50 which led on to blue 40, we weren't the only ones who were confused by this Mad

The skiing in the ski welt is fantastic for someone of my level (lower intermediate) as it's mostly easy reds and lots of nice tree lined skiing, I love skiing amongst the trees, very pretty. Although some of the runs are quite short and you need to zig zag a bit to get across resorts etc Lift queues were the usual european bundle type jobbies which were a bit busy as we were there on one of the busiest weeks of the year, but the queues all seemed to move fairly quickly. Also this is the first holiday I ever experienced the dreaded T-bar style lift, there are a couple about, I found them quite easy to use, dunno what all the fuss is about Laughing

We took an afternoon off skiing and tried out the toboggan (sled) run that they have in Soll, it was a right laugh (covered in bruises now, but never laughed so much) we hired our sleds from the hire shop just below the gondola at the nursery slopes and cost us 9 euros for 2 sleds as opposed to the airtour arranged toboggan afternoon of about 27 euros per person Shocked

In the evenings we spent most of our time in the Hotel Austria bar as they have a couple of pool tables although we did venture up the whisky muhle (Sports bar side) one evening and got chatting to one of the local workers who helped try and explain the rubbish piste maps to us, nice little bar with atmosphere. We didn't venture in to the nightclub side as we felt a bit old for that kind of malarkey Embarassed

In summary, I have really waffled on here, Soll is an excellent base if you want to ski the Austrian ski welt, a nice friendly village with good apres-ski if you're up for it. I would recommend it to anyone who is in the intermediate-ish bracket ski wise, perhaps a bit limited for expert skiers as there only a couple of Black runs which to be honest didn't look very challenging and first week skiers may be a bit scared by the blue run back to resort which is a narrow-ish track (6 foot across) as it has quite a steep drop on one side and the fact you need to ski a couple of reds to get to the easy blues above. I wish I were still there, oh well, holiday over, back to real life again Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I'd have caught you earlier I could have presented you with my lovely template:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047

If you want to put a post in at the end of the thread then I can edit what you've put above into the standard format...

I quite like Ski Welt - actually we've mainly skied in Westendorf which is semi-detached from the main Ski Welt area. They do appear to have ridiculous amounts of snow at the moment, more than anywhere else in Europe I think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
Okay, here goes. If I miss any bits out please ask.

Our biggest gripe was the piste maps, they were utter rubbish, some runs aren't listed, most are numbered incorrectly. Best way to navigate around the ski welt is to rely on the signposts on piste and the piste maps at the bottom/tops of lifts, which were very good. On the second day we ventured around to ellmau / scheffau and struggled to find our way back because we were using the piste map (paper one) and were looking for a red 51 leading on to a blue 43 when in fact the runs were actually red 50 which led on to blue 40, we weren't the only ones who were confused by this Mad
Crying or Very sad

I find this a little strange as I found the piste map very easy to use and the numbering system is very logical; runs are numbered according to the lift they take you to.
For example getting back to Soll from Scheffau you get to a point at the top of lift 51 but as you're heading for the Soll bowl you don't take run 51 (it would only bring you to the bottom of the lift and hence back to the same point) but you take red 50 (which uses part of red 51 until it breaks out onto blue 50). From here you either bubble back down, bowl + blue 40 or just red 40.
It does take a while to work out what's going on as some signposts mid run will have 2 or 3 different numbers on them as there are 2 or 3 different choices later on.

By comparison the piste map for Sauze seems to use a random numbering method and is so unclear that you can't really be sure which way some of the runs actually go, we took a blue run from Sportinia to Clotes and met some people on the same run going the opposite way! I'm still not sure which group was right as one person told us the arrow on the map meant "goes this way" (which we did) but another told us it meant "has an uphill section" (which it did).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot of the confusion around the Ski Welt comes from the fact that sometimes the same lift can be used to get you to the runs home as got you to where you are in the 1st place an example of this is the Two 4 man chairs that run parallel to the top of the Eisberg you use these lifts to ski from Ellmau to Sol but you use the same lift to get you back home, the Piste map (only in 2 dimensions) does not show this clearly because to get back you use runs on the back of the mountain.

As piste maps go I thought the Ski welt map was quite good and the signing of the runs at the top of the lifts was good also.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to clarify, the sign posting on the pistes were pretty good as were the big maps at the tops and bottoms of lifts etc. They problem i had for the first couple of days was with the little paper piste maps which do not show some of the runs, and shows some of the runs but with the wrong number. This caused us, and quite a few others a bit of confusion. I found after the second day i stopped using the piste map and relyed on the sign posts which were spot on. I did have a brief chat with on of the lift guys and he said that some of the runs had been split in to 2 and some extra pistes added etc which were not reflected on the paper maps. But to be honest this was a small gripe and i still had a wonderfull time in the ski welt and wish i was still there snowHead snowHead snowHead and yes, the amount of snow there was awesome, and it's still snowing apparently!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers The_Mac_Daddy, I'm off to Soll on 5th March and we are also staying in the Eggerwirt. Good to know it's not a dump Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just hope the Snow holds up well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The_Mac_Daddy, glad you enjoyed it. And I'm sure you're not too old for the Whiskey Muhle! You should have tried it! Did you try the Postwirt Bar? They used to have a lot of live music in there - not Europop either!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, I'm sure you're going to have an excellent time, Soll is a really great place some of the best skiing i've had.

hayley t, sadly we only popped into the postwirt for the welcome meeting, there's so much apres to do in Soll, we couldn't fit it all in. Maybe i'll have to go back one day and try it out snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We decided not to go back to Soll this year as for the last 3 the conditions just got better and better. We thought that as most people were telling us it's too low for good snow that we were due a bad 'un and chose to go elsewhere. We ended up picking Sauze d'Oulx and it had no snow for almost 30 days before we went. Crying or Very sad
Of course it absolutely pelted it down in Soll didn't it rolling eyes

I still might get back to Soll for a week/weekend this year though, there's a couple more of my group that fancy a run out as well so it looks promising.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy