Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleazyjet now charge for Skis

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, have you any idea how much hassle and delay charging at check in would cause! No chance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ive been stung by easyjet being evil at check in before. they weigh your bags, then if its over - send to you another counter to pay and you have to re-join at the back of the queue. in my experience even if you book early its usually only £20 more expensive to book with a decent carrier like BA or KLM (actually forget KLM, they were horrible to me on sunday) and you get a better allowance, more room and dont have to pay stupid amounts for what should be duty free drinks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nade,would love to believe you might be right,however...........I'm booked out end of March with Flybe.They operate on e ticket.You have to book ski carriage by phone Confused but you pay at checkin.Have to say it sounds like a recipe for chaos,but thats how they do it.

No news on the sleazy front re skis.After trying a couple of times,and being told to ring a premium rate No(where no doubt I would be on hold till the snow melted Shocked )I'm not going to bother.As I shall only be carrying skis on the return leg,and have never noticed that the Europeans seem bothered,I'll wait and see what happens.As I shall be returning via Geneva,it will be the self check in malarkey.Stavros will probably have some lackey carrying a swipe machine and looking for outsize baggage wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going out to GVA next thursday. Booked under the old rules and am taking skis. Will report back when I return the following tuesday.

It amazes me given how much space they devote on their website to FAQs and other garbage that this is so ambiguous. It is now beocoming clear that these are not low cost airlines, just low service. I wondered where all the Railtrack managers ended up.......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as I said before, Ryanair and Easyjet et al, false economies. Try Swiss, BA,etc.... for a few quid more.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

FAQs and other garbage

Ah,another that has trawled the murky depths of the sleazy FAQ's.That was a waste of time,wasn't it wink
Could all be summed up in one phase;"We tell you nothing useful-so you are at our mercy if you are foolish enough to fly with us!"

Do I spy an underhand tactic here? Sleazy will be well aware that their ski destination flights are,I would imagine,now pretty much full.So,lets now 'adjust' the rules and charge for skis.'They' cant book an alternative so we can now rip them!!Anyone know an effective way of telling Stavros he's taking the pi$$.
Given that this sticks,I know what I shall put on my 'feedback' form;if they are brave enough to give me one Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Geneva with Sleazyjet at xmas, and also from Liverpool to Basle 2 weeks ago when we went to Grindelwald. Ski's were accepted no problem, no cost etc.. and always have been??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Has anyone found an answer yet - will they charge us if we booked before they changed the rules?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, they shouldn't.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, if no-one else has found out by then, I'll certainly let you all know by the end of March as we're Sleazyjetting to & from Turin and booked before the condition change (I have print outs). They'll have to prise any money they want for board/ski carriage out of my cold, dead fingers!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

out of my cold, dead fingers!

And my wife's Laughing wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When booking the EOSB flights for Linds & myself, their web-site stated that:
Quote:
Skis/snowboards (including boots and poles), bicycles (including bag), and golf clubs (including bag) are subject to charge of £10 per item per flight.

On her return from the sun, Linds questioned as to if this meant that boots also cost £10 per pair to take.

The site does allow for skis to be added to your booking, when you go into the 'change' screen, but doesn't allow for boots. To be on the safe side, a telephone call later confirms that boots are not charged extra. But, you are only allowed to check-in one piece of hold luggage. So, if boots are to be put in the hold, they must be in with the rest of your things. Alternatively, they can now be carried as hand luggage. There's no restriction to weight apparently, other than you must be able to lift it!!
Quote:
In addition, passengers may carry on board a handbag, clutchbag, coat, umbrella, duty-free goods (small items), a laptop computer, car seats for infant passengers and small items of photographic or scientific equipment. These will not form part of the above allowances.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle, It dosent mention the kitchen sink Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryanair charge the same for a bag with 2 sets of skis as for a bag with one (so double-up, folks).
I wonder if Easyjet are the same.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have always 'doubled-up' in the ski bags.There are 5 in my family,and we all ski(and all have own kit)The most I've ever taken is 3 ski bags.By mixing up I find its easy to get two pairs per single bag,along with poles.Wrap the whole lot up in towels and there you have it.Usually four of us travel,so two bags.Never had a problem,or had it queried.The thing that always puzzles me is the unwrapped skis you see coming down the chute.Whats all that about Confused Seriously,is it really the case that people spend 100's of £'s on a holiday,and wont spend a few quid protective their skis.Amazing rolling eyes

Michelle,I would be a little cautious about carrying ski boots on an aircraft.On a bad day you might just fall foul of the 'offensive weapon' clause Shocked After all,you could do a lot more damage with a ski boot than a nailfile Confused I've never seen anybody taking boots as hand luggage;anyone else seen it?
Always put our boots in the luggage.Yes,it cuts down your 'other' stuff;but what do you really need.Change of thermals/fleeces.Change of socks.Toothbrush.Its a skiing hol,not a fashion show wink
And you don't need 18 pairs of shoes either wink Or yer hair dry/blow wave/curling thingy wink And every place I've ever stopped in has a kitchen sink wink
latest report
snowskisnow, I know a lot of Americans (on Epic) who take their boots on as carry on, because they can ski in rental skis, but not in rental boots!
snow conditions
WTFH,thats the very reason I put mine in the case,albeit taking the chance they don't lose the case rolling eyes But I am surprised they get away with it in the States;very surprised!Think about it;would you want to get whacked on the head with a ski boot Shocked In these ultra cautious flying times I feel many airlines may apply whatever policy they feel like on the day Confused
ski holidays
snowskisnow, but it's not the airlines who decide - it's the x-ray machines when you walk through to the departure lounge. As long as you can show that the bag your boots are in is your cabin bag, then you can get away with it, so they say. I haven't tried yet.
snow report
So,if its not the airlines(you know,the guys who actually do it for a living)who get to decide what you can take on their aircraft;who does decide...........daffy duck wink wink

Seriously,I have a feeling that a pair of boots,in a boot bag,would fail the dimension check that many carriers supposedly impose on cabin luggage.I say suppose,as many 'appear' not to strictly impose it.But thats down to chance,and chance is not the most reliable of guidelines!!
snow report
Well, with the weight limits etc on Ryanair and single bag limits in the hold I have recently always taken my boots as hand luggage and never had any problems. They fit easily into overhead storage (and fit within dimension limits).
I once put an avalanche transceiver in each boot and was sure they would want me to open up when it was x-rayed: but no.
latest report
Just got back from 10 fantastic days in Morzine. Flew with EJ and booked the flights before the conditions changed. However, I e-mailed Customer Services before I set off and this is their reply.....feel free to print off and insert in the appropriate place should anyone contest your booking. (PS the reply arrived after I'd set off and I could only open it upon my return but hey ho....on a positive note both flights departed on time if not earlier and made up time in the air. However, the self service check in at Geneva whilst easy to use was chaos as there was 4 EJ flights checking in at the same time)

The 3rd paragraph is the relevant one.

Dear Mr Robinson

Thank you for your recent e-mail dated on the 7th of February 2005, regarding your flights under booking confirmation number E3N26MZ.

Further to your e-mail, we are able to confirm that you will be able to either contact our reservations customer service department on 0871 244 2366 to book your skis, prior to your flight or you have the option to book them on your arrival at the airport at check-in. Please note that the carriage of golf clubs will be charged for per item per flight sector.

However we note from your booking that your flights were booked on the 22nd of November 2004 and so you are not required to book your skis on this occasion and this can be carried free of charge in line with the original conditions. We note that you have already used your outbound flights and would like to apologise for not being able to reply to you any sooner. We hope that this did not cause you any inconvenience. For future reference, please note that should you need to contact us directly you may do so via our customer services number - 0871 244 2366. We would like to thank you for choosing to fly with easyJet on this occasion and look forward to welcoming you onboard our flights in the future. Please be advised that we have updated your booking with your correspondence for future reference.

May we also suggest that for quicker replies to your queries, please refer to the 'Contact Us' section on the easyJet website. Here we have answers to a number of FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions), which you may be querying. However, if this is not of use you still have the option to contact us by completing a web form online, which can be found under the contact us section.
I hope you find this information useful Mr Robinson. I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Yours sincerely

Syeda Begum
easyJet Customer Services Team
snow report
Preston Pete - that's interesting, a company not trying to wriggle-out from its original contract and terms and conditions of flight.

Everyone who has booked their flight before the change of rules for ski charging should insist that their skis be carried FOC and should copy the above letter and present it at check-in if they encounter any problems.

And they also reply to letters, and quickly; something that you probably would not get from Ryanair who have only a handful of customer care staff.
snow conditions
I've heard of people wearing their ski boots onto the plane to avoid the excess baggage charge. Anyone know whether this is true?
ski holidays
Preston Pete,good result and many thanks for posting the letter.Duly copied and attached to my e-confirmation.
Try charging me now you sleazy $$&&**!!! wink
latest report
Kramer, I think it used to happen in the 70's , never seen it when I've gone skiing.
ski holidays
On the "wearing ski gear onto plane" topic... a few years ago when departing Birmingham for Chambery, there were lots of smug people (including several in my group who hadn't believed me when I told them the weather situation over there) that were wearing both salopettes AND ski jackets onto the plane. As it was sleeting as we walked over the tarmac to board, they were nice and toasty when I was freezing my nuts off.

However, on landing at Chambery at 2:45 in the afternoon in late March to temperatures of 27 deg. Celsius in the shade, they were looking a bit less comfortable as we sat around waiting for the other flights to arrive (as you do at chambery...).

One poor bloke's luggage had gone astray and he was one of the salopette wearers. He got a rousing cheer when finally overheating and removed his salopettes to reveal a fetching pair of long johns too!
snow report
Kramer, post shoe-bomber, I wouldn't fancy anyone's chances of making it through security, so it would be interesting to know if anyone's seen it done.
snow conditions
I was told by easyJet that I couldn't take my boots on as hand luggage...but they checked them in free of charge (this was when they still carried sports gear free!!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to reassure you all....travelled with SleazyJet this week. They are NOT making retrospective charges, if you booked before the 4 February they'll honour your booking conditions. Booked after that....get ready to pay up!
snow report
I travelled back from Norway a few weeks ago on Ryanair. The guys sitting next to me had been winter climbing and were wearing their plastic mountaineering boots - not quite ski boots but not far off.
snow conditions
Just back. Flew out LGW Thursday having booked before the new rules, no one asked any quuestions about whether I'd paid or not and skis arrived in GVA fine. Returned yesterday and the new auto check-in at GVA doesn't really give them the chance to ask whether you've paid or not.
latest report
Chris Angus, Wondered if you did get charged? I am using them in a couple of weeks but booked before Christmas. Easyjet have told my agent on the phone that I will not be charged, we will see....
ski holidays
Sorry to bump this back into view but I think Easyjet deserve some credit.

I booked my Easyjet flights for the EOSB before the ski carriage charge was introduced. At the check-ins in Gatwick and Geneva there were no questions asked about my skis. They probably had a flag on their system to show I had booked before charges were introduced, either that or they just don't care anyway.

Check-in at Gatwick was smooth and reasonable fast, not much of a queue, and the flight though a little late leaving, arrived in Geneva more or less on time.

On return, the automatic check-in at Geneva was a breeze. Somebody was on hand to offer advice if needed (it wasn't) and then after getting boarding pass & luggage tags from the machine I just took my skis & bag to an empty check-in desk for weighing. My bag went straight in, I was asked to put my skis on the Gatwick ski trolley, right behind me. That was it, done. The whole process took around 5 minutes. The plane left on time and arrived at Gatwick early. I was off the plane 5 minutes before scheduled arrival time.

Credit where credit is due, it all worked very well for me.
snow conditions
Pete Horn,same here.Must admit to being a little concerned prior to the trip(having never used Easy before)Loads of people slag them off,but both our outward and inward flights were a doddle.And the auto check in at Geneva is great Very Happy

As you rightly say;credit where credits due.

The return pilot had a sense of humour.When he introduced his co,it was a lady.He then went on to say we should not be concerned as "we are not expecting to have to reverse during the flight" Laughing
latest report
Did he add that he couldn't see now due to two black eyes? Wink
ski holidays
Pete Horn, Same here, and I had two small children with me as well. Check in at Geneva was good
latest report
glad to hear they have sorted out the check in at Geneva. When I last flew with them on 12th March it had just been introduced - and it was the biggest chaotic facre I have ever experienced!!
snow report
1st time I have flown with Easy jet when I went to the EOSB have to say I was impressed and do not deserve the bad press from my own experiences, easy to book, easy check in on time or early, we were late leaving Geneva by 25 mins but made up the time. It was no fuss all the way, no frills either but you don't need them on short flights. The seats were wider and I had more leg room than my charter flight to Canada with Excel airways in March. I well definitely use them again.
snow conditions
Russell, i have always found them OK, Ryanair too. Planes are always clean. We were unbelievably cramped on BA flight to Canada too.
snow report
Just travelled to the EoSB with Easyjet Russel had ski's we were all over the limit with baggage weight and we werent charged a penny, maybe's it depends on how full the plane is ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy