Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difference between Atomic Nomad Blackeye and Blackeye Ti

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been looking at Fischer Watea 78's but on looking at some reviews the Atomic Nomad Blackeye also seems to get mentioned in the same breath. Anyway there seems to be two versions of the Blackeye. Can someone tell me the difference between the Blackeye standard version and the Ti version in practical terms. i.e. what difference it makes on the slopes ?

Also, any comparisons to the Fischer Watea's would be helpful.

I'm 6ft, 75Kg, upper Intermediate level and ski most of the time on pistes but do like bumps. Would also need the ski to hold a good edge on ice as well with no chatter (I wish my wife came with a no chatter option!)

Cheers and TIA

Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just bought the Ti version. Has an extra layer of titanium above the densolite foam core. Makes it stiffer, so has a bit more enery if you work it and a little calmer at speed

Still very light ski

I got the 171cm as i'm heavy at 88kg (198lbs) and 5ft 7"

I had Atomic Metrons before and love the edge grip atomics have

Love the colour and design too

Skiing it tomorrow for the first time, will let you know how it goes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
madmole, cheers. Did you consider the standard version ? It's just that the local Two Seasons has that one in stock and it's a little cheaper but obviously wouldn't compromise for the sake of £60-£70. Also, where did you buy them from ?

Have a good time tomorrow.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon, at your weight you'd be fine on the standard version so long as you don't go too short. Go for a length close to your height.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, and please do report back on how it all works out, whichever you decide on snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, do you think 171cm would be OK ? These came up to the height of my eyebrows in the shop yesterday, albeit I had normal shoes on and not ski boots.

btw, the edge tuning tool I bought off you earlier this year worked very well. Many Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did consider the normal version especially as you can get it £100 cheaper (whitemountainsports on ebay). But my last Metrons were Ti versions and I like the extra energy that brings (I can be pretty aggresive when carving)er

I think if you go for the Ti version 171 woulkd be ok as your lighter, but in non Ti I'd go the for the 178's as they will be softer (plus your geta little more float off piste)

I'm off to Hemel tonight for some coaching by spyderman. Obviously also playing with the new toys
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK< Got to ski for 2 hours on the Atomic Nomad 171 Blackeye Ti 2010's (radius 17m) last night. My previous skis were Atomic Metron X beta pulse Ti in 157cm (Radius 11.5m)

First impression was they didnt turn as tight, Having used the metrons for 5 years I was used to the small radius, took a few runs to get used to that, also to get back into swing of things as I hadnt skied since march

After getting used to them I would say the following

1) They are much stiffer than the metrons, I would imagine the non Ti versions are closer to metron feel
2) They need a higher ground speed before they come alive
3) They are very damped compared to the metrons, when you hit small lumps with th emetrons they almost ring, the Nomads just absorb it
4) I didnt notice the extra length, they felt and responded like the shorter metrons

By the end of 2 hourrs I was begining to get a feel for then. I'd adjusted my turn curve and learnt to keep speed up and actively pressure them, when they responded

So yes, I'd say they will suit me as a replacement to the Metrons. They need positive input to respond, more so than the metrons (they are stiffer), They damp much better and are less bothered by lumps and bumps. The lighter weight offsets the extra length so they feel like a shorter ski.

I would say that lighter skiers would prefer the non Ti version as it will require less work to get the best from it (I'm 198 lb, 88 Kg)

Also big thanks to Spyyderman for not laughing at my lack of style and grace and improving my technique substantially in less than a hour!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
madmole, given your comments would you say that the standard version in a 171cm length for me (183cm tall, 75kg) would be OK ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would say they will be perfect. I'm 20Kg heavier and can just about flex the Ti versions. I think you would struggle with the stiffer ones at lower speed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madmole, cheers. I actually email Atomic and they recommended the Nomad Smoke Ti in a 171cm length, as I said I ski maily on piste and a 76cm width would be better than 78cm. They also said the standard one would be too soft for me but that may just be in the Smoke ski and not the Blackeye. Sounds like I should really test them. Too many choices and I guess given the quality of the hire skis I normally get, any of them would be better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was very suprised how well the 79cm Waisted Blackeye turned, especially when compared to the very narrow Metrons, That wont be an issue for you, the ski is very easy to edge and turn side to side. (mainly cos it doesnt have that huge front shovel that acts as a stabiliser)

Yes the smoke is less stiff than the blackeye, so the Ti version will be probably similar to the Blackeye non Ti

Oh and the black/red of the blackeye looks good

I would imagine the smoke suits perfectly you now and you are at the bottom of the suitability of the blackeye. If you change your skis each year go smoke, if you want a single ski to last a few years go blackeye (easpecially if you think you may start to play off the edges a bit)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
madmole, thanks for your comments and advice
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy