Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow chains vs snow socks

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Renault Megane Scenic RX4 (it's a 4x4 - but not like a chelsea tractor - more of a token girly 4x4 - it just doesn't have the grit if you get what I mean)

I had a crash last year in the most tame snow conditions in the uk and a couple of years back when driving up to Tignes got into some trouble, so don't exactly trust this car in the snow.

anyway looking on ebay there are plenty of snow chains for quite cheap, but then I come across snow socks - well now I have a dilemma

do i get a set for the front or back wheels - or do I need for all 4 wheels?

whats your opinion?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
short answer - chains are better than socks, and they go on the rear wheels of a 4x4
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's four suggestions:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1310445
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=101649
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1129481
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=951109

or for a few more try this:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Asnowheads.com+%22snow+socks%22
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you do a search on snow socks there are several threads. They haven't got many fans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
innerspaceservices, I've not heard anyone with a good word for the 'socks'. Now that's bound to get someone with a contrary point of view posting! wink
I disagree with Patch, IMHO, if you are in a situation where you need to use chains on a 4WD or AWD then you should be using 2 pairs.
In 5 years of annual ski hols, driving to ski resorts, I only used chains once and that was the very first year. But I really needed them, hard packed snow frozen solid, it was difficult to walk on it, let alone drive! Best investment I ever made! Smile
Buy the best you can afford.
Dont forget to practise putting them on before travel to the snow.
Good luck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dont bother with socks, they dont last long
Buy chains, they will go on the front, you have a part time 4*4, most of the drive goes to the front.
Consider buying all season or M&S tyres, ie Pirelli Scorpions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay, I'll be that person BMF_Skier! Firstly I must say I have never used snowsocks myself although had a pair in the car for quite a whiile. However last winter, when all the snow fell in the UK in February and caused chaos, the only thing driving around Farnborough was my dad in his Jag X-type with snowsocks. 4wd (although no diff locks) and snowsocks on all four wheels meant he had plenty of traction and was called upon by many friends who were unable to drive their own vehicles. The car coped well with steep inclines and hills too. Now it wasn't a back-to-back test with chains, and it wasn't up an Alp, but he was certainly singing their praises.

Agree with the above post too on requiring chains / socks on all wheels on a 4wd car.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
p.s. The threads altis highlights make good reading. Socks seem to be generally well thought of by those who've actually used them or know someone who does (with the odd exception). But as I say, I haven't used them myself!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
mfj197 Okay, I'll be that person BMF_Skier!
Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 22-10-09 9:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have a 4x4 READ the handbook it will tell you which wheels to put them on AND wich buttons to press. eg turn OFF esp or other buttons depending on the vehicle snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome!! It’s just what I need!! Thanks!..............

masseys shoes

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 18-01-11 6:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shocked Shocked

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230569567802

Shocked Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Higs, Snake oil in a spray can.... nice Happy

Si
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/3cADdkdMIRU&feature=player_embedded
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, is that stuff for real....looks just like expanding foam?
latest report
Dot., It's the stuff being sold on eBay (above). I wouldn't want to rely on it.
latest report
Chains hands down. Don't even bother with socks. If you get proper chains and use them correctly (i.e. take them off the moment the road is drive-able without them) they will last you forever.

Drove to the Alps last year and just got back yesterday. Only needed them last year though. They are simple to fit and can be done in sub 2 mins per wheel if you're good with your hands. They will provide you with plenty of grip just when you needed. As has already been pointed out, refer to your handbook regards which wheels to put them on and remember to turn ESP/ASR off. I don't see the need for two sets at all. I expect the handbook will say put them on the front wheels. Having the chains on the front will give you more control and provide more grip as that's where most of the weight is.

Best of luck.
ski holidays
I have used snow socks on a VW Sharan syncro (ie 4x4). I had two pairs on and found the experience a joy. To the extent that I was ramming the brakes on to see if I could make the car skid (after carefully making sure no one around me, of course Madeye-Smiley

The fact that they are so very easy to put on and take off is a major plus. I'm sure it is possible to get very good at putting chains on in the dark and cold but I suspect most of us don't do it enough to gain the skill.
snow report
If you can, get a set of winter or all season tyres. Verdestien are another good tyre maker for winter rubber. As others have said, read the handbook and remember 4x4 meNs you might have traction to go, but steering and brakes are still the same as anything else without decent tyres.
snow report
nice video Colin B...... awesome Cool snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy