Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls like Marmite ?

Poster: A snowHead
This picture shows a couple runs @ Heavenly
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should take some tips from this guy winning the derby de la meije! They don't pose him much of a problem and the moguls don't come any fiercer than at la grave either!

He hits the moguls about 1.50

http://youtube.com/v/Erc3yLswnWk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get my variety of challenge from the different snow types off piste. To ski breakable crust well is at least as tough a challenge as moguls IMHO, though I certainly don't seek it out, or choose it - it just arrives in front of me occasionally. It is just part of what you have to ski sometimes if you like skiing where nobody else has.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 22-10-09 8:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottishskier, I think those moguls were just below the top of the main lift (?) Frustrating because the view ahead was seldom visible on the head-cam.
However he didn't ski them in the sense we were discussing - he just took them straight. (By the way, I doubt that that was filmed during the race - and the clip doesn't claim that it was.)

Nice shot 3snowboards, judging by the foreground I bet there was still some good powder somewhere in the trees. That's where I would have been.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
scottishskier, I think those moguls were just below the top of the main lift (?) Frustrating because the view ahead was seldom visible on the head-cam.
However he didn't ski them in the sense we were discussing - he just took them straight. (By the way, I doubt that that was filmed during the race - and the clip doesn't claim that it was.)

Yes the moguls at 1.50 are the first set from P3 down. He goes through a number of other mogul fields on the way down too. I wish the camera was better too. I find it amazing just to watching his skis move. I can't even begin to comprehend skiing that fast through moguls.

If you watch the full thing you see him start and finish the race. This was the winning run at 5.29 from last season. 2nd place was 30seconds behind!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scottishskier, oh OK, I was surprised, in that case, to see ordinary skiers on the slope - I assumed the route down would have been closed to other skiers during the race.
Actually I did watch it all - nothing I could see to suggest the end was a race finish!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiers are set off in batches every 2 minutes or thereabouts. The slowest time was about 54 minutes and the fastest 5.29 with the average somewhere in the middle. The normal skiers you see are most likely other racers! That gives you an idea of the speed he is doing.

I believe you can still ski as normal at la grave on the day of the event but you'd be lucky to get much skiing done as the lift would be packed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Moguls are the true test of a good technical skier.

No, I don't believe that for a moment. I enjoy a good mogul run, but there are things I do less well like a whole field of crusted powder and icy steeps. They are just one test amongst many.

Perhaps moghuls like marmite.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
54 minutes! Perhaps it would be worth being a racer on the day, then, to beat the lift queue - I reckon I could do a lot better than that!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bear in mind the people who took 54 minutes were probably part of a giant purple whale riding down on a lilo having drunk La Grave dry of Genepi! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a Marmite lover snowHead Its really noticeable how moguls have dissappeared from ski resorts over the last 20 years. They now have to be actively sort out because most of the famous mogul runs are now winch cat bashed, removing much of their original challenge.

Moguls and varied terrain is a large part of the continung appeal of tough ski areas such as Chamonix, Verbier and parts of Scotland. The best bump runs I've skied are the Trifi wall at zermatt, the Tortin wall at Verbier, the White Lady at Cairngorm and the Tiger at Glenshee. The best conditions for me have always been soft spring snow where you use the heavy snow to check your speed and the sugary snow flies up into your face Laughing

Hard work but brilliantly satisfying, even on Telemark skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I probably hit my first mogul field too early in my ski career - anyone that was with me in the Orelle valley on the last EoSB saturday in 2008 will know what I mean Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scottishskier, I love that video - totally insane

I'm in the camp of "can do bumps after a fashion but would rather not if I can avoid them"

last season, i did enjoy the black run back down to town in Zinal which was perfectly slushed up - my XXLs worked surprisingly well
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I probably hit my first mogul field too early in my ski career - anyone that was with me in the Orelle valley on the last EoSB saturday in 2008 will know what I mean Laughing

I certainly hit my first mogul field too early in my career - my 4th day ever on skis, at Verbier. Not the famous Mon-Fort run (even I wasn't that barmy), but one of the La Chaux runs leading down to the cable car that went up to Mont fort.

I stood at the top for about 10 minutes before deciding I might as well give it a go. I think I did about 40 yards upright, and 200 on my backside Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scottishskier, that's a real gob-open, "how did he survive" video! Shocked They build 'em tough in Les Gets!

Edit: note the comment on YT next to the vid: Try to count the turns. Not many! Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 22-10-09 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
slushy spring moguls can be great fun, hard icy VW beetle sized ones not so much fun!!
snow conditions
scottishskier, that was a pretty mental vid! He was pretty insane over the bumps, very one edge style!
What was actually really impressive is his endurance, maintaining that pace over that terrain cannot be easy!
snow report
Blimey! He must have legs like tree trunks to have withstood that. My knees hurt just watching it
snow report
beequin,
Quote:
No, I don't believe that for a moment
, well, it is only my opinion.

To be clear though, I am talking about skiing bumps properly - mostly fall line, turning on the bumps, good rhythm, good pace, etc.

I know many people who can cope with steep-ish ice and crud who just can't ski bumps. I know no-one who skis bumps well, who doesn't ski most/all things well.

Just my observations.
ski holidays
scottishskier, Great video.
I liked the bit between the trees. It reminded me of a ski technique book that quoted
" When skiing in an area with trees aim between the trees not at them." Puzzled
I can't remember the name of the book but i think it was " No Sh*t Shirlock. " Very Happy
ski holidays
Love'em - but would not want to do them all day.

Obviously nice soft US ones - not nasty icy European ones wink
ski holidays
Moguls taste better than marmite but I couldnt eat a whole one.
ski holidays
I hate moguls with a passion, it's akin to seeking to drive your car over speed bumps for enjoyment.
ski holidays
RPF, Laughing

Marmite it seems is a perfect metaphor for moguls, there are some real lovers and haters out there.
snow conditions
It is a well known fact that there are two types of people in this world: Those that love marmite and those that are wrong.

And there is an inverse relationship between marmite and mogules, thus those who love marmite hate moguls.

Therefore by logical inference there are only two types of people in this world: Those that hate mogules and those that are wrong.

Smile
snow report
narc, you are just sooooooo wrong

Gazzza, no relationship between moguls and marmite. Causation <> correlation
snow report
I remember the first and only time i came across moguls and I didnt have a clue what to do NehNeh I think I'm scarred for life !
snow conditions
They're not as good as pow, but way better than bashed motorway boredom.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy