Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give me some drills / exercises for my snowdome outings

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about visiting Hemel Snow Centre to try and blow away a few of the skiing cobwebs and wondered if you guys could to suggest a few drills / exercises that I can practice, that will help my technique?

I'm not a great skier (I guess lower intermediate, probably sums me up).

I usually practice things like side-slipping, and also one footed-skiing (which is a bit shaky) - but any other drills you can suggest (that would work at a snowdome) would be great!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, it would probably help if you posted some video of your skiing. Suggestions would be more relevant if based on some something people can watch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj, I would really recommend the coaching clinics run by rob&rar and skimottaret http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53025 - they'll give you LOTS of drills that you can practise and the day is really excellent. Next clinic on Monday 26 or Saturday 31st Oct Very Happy My skiing has improved heaps! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd like a set of drills too - and aim to talk to Rob and Scott about this (see cathy's link) - but was thinking of a short-ish set, with which I would start each skiing session, and would be particularly tailored to my faults. This would be analagous to my Pilates warm-up, which doesn't take nearly as long as the warm-up session which we do at the start of every class (I'd never do it, if it were as long!) but which I designed to address my most pressing requirements.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay, there's bit of footage of me here (try to be kind wink )

http://youtube.com/v/OOK9ZSMqF88

I'm the one in the black-jacket at the following points:

0:21 (skiing through a bit of fresh snow on-piste)
3:21 (footage of me from behind ... it's night-skiing, so not the best footage)

I think I've got some better footage on my laptop which I'll try and pop up onto YouTube tonight.

The thing that I always notice is the 'stem' I have (particularly when turning from left to right).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, I have been tempted by these courses - although looks like the 26th Oct is fully booked (?)

Also, I'm a bit worried that the lessons are aimed slightly above my level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, howabout starting with ski drills finding fore-aft balance (try jumping repeatedly round the turn, or extreme fore/extreme aft), then ski very small and very tall to loosen movements, ski very wide very narrow to refeel ideal stance, then finding edges (thousand steps - repeatedly stepping round the turn, each step try to find the appropriate edge), then holding out pole vertically in each hand and use them as guide to ensure you remain square and stacked to your skis and square to direction of travel, then skiing on each outside ski, changing onto new ski (on edge) early in turn, then railing to find ankle/knee angulation, and teapot (Schlopy) to accentuate hip angulation, skidded short turns facing fall line to encourage movement/rotation/separation, large(ish!) carved turns with conscious return to neutral before starting next turn with extension and inclination (to achieve stacked inclined start to turn) etc etc that should be enough to be getting on with - list is endless. Or even better, book in with insideout skiing, with rob@rar and skimottaret!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj, you'd be fine in our coaching clinics and there is space on the 26th... We limit to 16 (8 per instructor) and split the groups if around 8. would be happy to suggest specific exercises once i have seen you ski, tough to tell loads from the video other than it looked like a cracking tour with some great snow Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, Good tunes on the video. Who is it ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, Thanks. Might see if I can nick a day off work.

david@mediacopy, the tune is 'Green Grass of Tunnel' by Múm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj wrote:
Also, I'm a bit worried that the lessons are aimed slightly above my level.

Not at all - they really do cater for all levels and from your video it looks like you'd fit in just fine! IMO it is worth taking a day off work to go on the Monday, just to get the empty-ish slope Very Happy . Hope to see you there maybe on Monday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
26th October is school half-term so may not be so quiet. Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beequin wrote:
26th October is school half-term so may not be so quiet. Confused

Hopefully most of the kids there will still be on the nursery slope at the start of the week if previous holiday courses are anything to go by.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Start by building your leg strength up by doing squats and platform jumping exercises. it will really help with your endurance and balance.

Keep practicing the one-footed skiing, imo its one of the best ways to get your carving down, along with some edging exaggeration drills.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abj, You could always buy Fastman's first DVD and move on from there - that will get you skiing well. www.yourskicoach.com

Carlskilover, If you ski properly you don't need to be strong. Laughing
latest report
Quote:

If you ski properly you don't need to be strong

easiski, I'm glad you said that. After all, we are using gravity, n'est ce pas? snowHead Let's hear it for the old and pathetic!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy