Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rocker skis - should they touch in the middle or at the ends?

Poster: A snowHead
I just had my Salomon Lord skis (last season's model) delivered, and I'm a little worried they're not quite right.

The Salomon Lord are supposed to have a 'rocker' shape.

In the snowboard world this means that if you place the board down on a flat surface, it will only touch the floor in the center. A normal 'non-rocker' snowboard will touch the floor at each end. I have a Lib-Tech rocker snowboard, and this seems to be the case.

However, when you place these skis down on a flat surface, they touch the floor at each end. In fact, the middle is about 10mm off the ground. Is this normal? Are my skis defective? They're last seasons, so could they be damaged by storing them wrong over the year?

Now these skis don't have bindings on yet... maybe with bindings they'll assume the perfect rocker shape?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was under the impression the Lords had normal camber and an early rise tip. Even when I saw them it was kind of unnoticeable.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah - but it actually has printed on the ski "rocker shape"...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I owned some lords for a while last season and the rocker is almost unnoticeable, as Fall-line magazine pointed out. They have a pretty regular camber and even when you squashed them flat together the early rise was barely noticeable. The shape of your Lords will definitely be as they were supposed to be!
Skis have different amount of rocker usually described by the distance of the early rise from the tip and the amount of deflection of the rocker e.g. 20/40
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you explain what the "early rise" is? Also what's the "deflection" of the rocker?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While rocker is a form of reverse camber, rocker as used in most skis does not mean they are reverse cambered throughout their length. You can have a rockered tip and normal positive camber in the middle of the ski, though lots of skis with tip rocker will have flattish camber. So unlikely your skis are defective.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
d.brophy, my understanding, early rise= long curvature from the flat of the base to the tip.(pretty much)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
evogear has a pretty good explanation - combine the pics of rocker & cambered ski & that'll be what your side profile looks like.

http://www.evogear.com/info/helpcenter/494.aspx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
d.brophy, your Lords are exactly what they are meant to be, Salomon were just marketing when they called the 'rocker' shape.

By all accounts still a good all mountain ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's got a tip rocker. Rocker is a pretty vague, untrademarked term that basically means "some of the ski's normal camber is the reverse of normal". You can have tip, tip and tail, continous (which is like your snowboard example), or recurve (basically, big tip and tail that don't make contact with groomed snow, then regular, positive camber underfoot).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
d.brophy, should you be buying kit you don't understand?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name,

how come you dont go back to your previous posts and answer questions about your wisdom? is it because you are in a hurry to post the next line of rubbish.. Shocked

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55818

please comment on your wise remarks about the boots being too big and how you know this...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

under a new name, Why not? I don't understand my computer in the slightest but i still bought it and I can use it to write to you, what more could i want.

The Lords arent really "rocker" skis, they just have "rocker". i.e. in this case the fronts have a small amount of reverse camber (they bend back a bit), but the rest is a normal ski, idea is it helps you float better in the soft stuff but unlike full rocker skis they will still grip and carve nicely on the piste.

Don't worry about it, you have got a really good pair of skis there, i'm sure you will have lots of fun on them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, why should he understand it? I wasn't aware we should of had classes on ski construction and shapes before we bought them? rolling eyes If he has read reviews etc on what they can do and thats what he wants them for then why not buy? If you fully understood EVERYTHING you owned down to the finest details, you wouldn't own a great deal would you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:

Hahaa. You shouldn't post in threads you DON'T understand.

The first time I saw the Lords I was surprised as I had read all about the 'rocker design' and then when you see the ski: it doesn't have any - compared to true 'rockered skis'. The OP was right to question this.
snow report
parlor, rocker=marketing?
latest report
geeo, done.

I guess it's that mid-week lack of a sense of humour though?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
parlor, rocker=marketing?

negative imho; but there are of course degrees...
snow report
i think parlor's point is that "rocker" on the Lord = marketing

i haven't seen those so couldn't comment. the salomon rocker is not a misnomer by any means

there was a debate on TGR about definitions of rocker, reverse camber, early rise etc. bottom line is that there aren't really specific definitions. there is also a thread on TGR where people have taken side-on pictures of rockered skis so you have a better idea of what you are getting
snow report
all companies have different types of rocker/camber on their skis

early rise
full rocker
rocker with camber

these are all different ones that you see on atomic k2 and volkl skis, check their websites for more info... the volkl one has lots of examples and looks like the rocker makes the ski easier to handle in powder... NehNeh
ski holidays
Arno, agreed - that was the impression which I got from the thread anyway.

However, it seemed that UANN was implying that the rocker ski concept itself may just have been marketing.
latest report
fr0sty, ha ha ha - I was.

But given that my own new skis have a modest "early rise" ... I must have been suckered as well. They've got great graphics too, who cares about performance?

By the way, Oi! parlor, you cheeky git,
Quote:
You shouldn't post in threads you DON'T understand

- exactly what bit of the thread do you think I don't understand?
snow report
under a new name, cross-posting between threads can become very confusing...
snow conditions
fr0sty, what Arno said. Salomon, IMHO, were jumping in the marketing band wagon of the 'rocker revolution'.

under a new name, haha. IMO anyone would / should have the same reaction as d.brophy. The skis are sold as 'rockered' skis, but there is NO rocker. I was implying YOU don't understand because of your comment ^. d.brophy question / post is legit and does not imply that he was buying gear ho doesn't understand. I too would be confused buying a product that was labeled as, for instance, waterproof, to get it home to find it leaked like a Labour front benchers briefcase.
ski holidays
I'd bet that there's some fun to be had trolling some UK shop Saturday boys to see if they'll sell you gear on the basis of "rocker" benefits without even understanding it. FWIW I think its a pretty fun development but not necessarily for everyone, there's no doubt a properly rockered ski handles differently to its cambered cousin and in particular people shouldn't assume lengths will translate directly.
ski holidays
There's more rocker in a Lord than the first (mini)rockered k2 seth? I don't think the Lord is unreasonabley marketed, it does have a small amount of early rise - not much point in having tons on a 90mm ski anyway. "rocker" has never been a set amount - or at least I've never thought of it as full on tip flapping around four foot in the air as a definition anyway.
ski holidays
d.brophy, the length of rocker in the tip of your Lord's will soon grow when the tip starts to delaminate wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, 'late rise' ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what proper tip rocker looks like Cool

Length is approx 400mm.
snow report
spyderjon, Bro? - Or K2 maybe?
snow conditions
fr0sty, Bro
snow conditions
spyderjon, meh, here's real tip rocker:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62779&d=1248521948

NehNeh
latest report
DaveC, I had a pair of K2 TNCs like that once. Actually, make that several times.

Got to be pretty good at bending them back, want me to show ya how?
Razz
snow report
Yup... 'rocker' seems to be the 2010 marketting buzz word Very Happy

K2 seem to be leading the field with this one - all of their 'backside skis' have a subtle 'tip only' rocker.
(which you can only really notice when the skis are squeezed together).
And also flat tails - which for powder skiing makes alot of sense.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Yup... 'rocker' seems to be the 2010 marketting buzz word Very Happy

It's been around for at least 3 or 4 years in the mainstream, driven by the indie companies. The big boys are just catching up really....
snow conditions
Quote:
driven by the indie companies. The big boys are just catching up really....

Not true...

The Voltant Spatula was obviously the very first rockered ski way back in 2002.
But only 2000 of them were made - which gave it cult status.

Then K2 brought out the Pontoon in late 2006. Which really made the ski industry pay attention and go 'wow, what is that!?'. Both of these skis were desinged by Shane McConkey (RIP). If anyone can claim invention of the whole 'rocker concept' then it is him Cool (go check the sequence of MConkey skiing on water skis in MSP's Focussed film from 2003).

Certainly there are lot's (and lots) of indie firms currently making rockered skis - some of them great, some of them not. But that is mainly a reflection that indie ski firms generally make skis for off piste.

Most of the 'big boys' deserve credit for some of their shapes too. Its just not cool to admit that on an internet forum wink The Rossignol S7, for example, is one of the most progresive shapes currently on the market.

IMHO K2 have been bold and forward thinking with their 2010 range. Using generally subtle tip only rocker, that only appears when the ski is flexed or weighted by the skier. And also totally flat tails on the entire backside range - which helps in release of the turn. Not many other ski firms are currently removing twip tips from their big skis ?
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62779&d=1248521948

NehNeh

That's a reverse camber ski not a tip rocker ski rolling eyes wink
snow report
parlor, ha ha back! see your verbier and raise you a chamonix. You know that we get verbier for free on our season passes, which clearly ends the Cham/Verbs superiority debate doesn't it? What's it worth if it's free? (yes, yes, yes, a whole lot and you still have to blag your way into the farm cess pit if you really must)

But it means that we intend on ripping up your patch rather more this season. Would be fun (maybe!) to meet and settle the great 110-and-growing fatboy vs 67-and-constant FIS-SL better in powder debate...

except. bollox. we've bought fat skis...
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
DaveC wrote:

NehNeh

That's a reverse camber ski not a tip rocker ski rolling eyes wink

Sounds like semantics, Praxis call it "continuous curve rocker" Wink Should of found an ARG or DPS pic...
ski holidays
haggis trap, K2 and the Pontoon weren't the "second" mainstream rocker ski, and there were way more than 200 spats around at the time. I think DPS were the Spats direct replacement with their 120 and 138s. Birdo too, and Praxis beat the Pontoon out the gate. Like I said, indie companies Wink Not entirely sure of the timeline, but I'd definitely put the credit with McConkey not K2 too![/b]

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 29-10-09 9:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy