Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps...what kit do I need apart from satnav

Poster: A snowHead
Liking driving lots and considering a trip via car at some stage in the future, any advice would be grand.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll start the list wth: a high-viz vest, spare bulbs, chains, a torch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arctic Fox, All you need to know and plenty more is covered on the AA website
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arctic, will you be hiring a car at the airport or driving from the UK?

Few things I've picked up along my trips... I usually land at night which can be very inconvenient if you are not well prepared Sad

1-Remember if you hire a diesel from a city that you would need antifreeze additives in the mountains (make sure it's the one for diesel and not the windscreen wash). Last time I flew into Treviso, I could not find any additives in any of the stations on the motorway. The diesel froze the next day (I had tried to put arctic diesel along the way but the tank was full when I took the van out so I couldn't put much into it at all) but luckily the local garage expertly resolved that by putting 1-2 euros worth of petrol in to unfreeze it.

2-Coins for the tolls

3-Longitude, lattidue coordinates for your sat nav in case there are no numbers on the road nearer to your destination.

4-Ice-Scraper/De-icer. (Doesnt come with rentals)

5-Thin driving gloves ...for driving and also for doing the snow chains up if you ever need to.

PS On the spot speeding fines in Italy are prohibitively expensive rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A CAR!! NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flangesax wrote:
A CAR!! NehNeh

Bu99er - beat me to it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
driving gloves, DRIVING gloves!!!???? Laughing

slightly off topic but does anyone do these trips solo? I do fancy it as i love a good roadtrip but very much doubt her indoors will have it, would be happy to do it alone but guess that's less then practical
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ability to use the sodding search function.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, easy tiger, the dude's only got 12 posts, pointing him to search is one thing, slagging him off for not being a forum-geek and having the damn gall to ask a question without thoroughly searching the site first is a bit much. Nice welcome rolling eyes

Arctic Fox, ignore the fannies, you will get decent advice on here - oh yeah and the search function can sometimes help! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry wrote:

slightly off topic but does anyone do these trips solo? I do fancy it as i love a good roadtrip but very much doubt her indoors will have it, would be happy to do it alone but guess that's less then practical

I've not done it myself although I thought I might have to last year and then Schuss in Boots provided much appreciated company on the way back from the EOSB. Cool

The only problem would be the tolls as you will be on the wrong side and it's a pain reaching across the passenger seat to pay them. I actually had to do this driving back to the EOSB from Geneva after dropping my son off but luckily only one toll.

There is the telepeage thingy you can get which allows you to sale through the special lane and you get charged to your bank account/credit card. Do a search on telepeage for more information.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
barry wrote:
I can understand them for changing chains, but driving? That's from a different age, surely?

When I started skiing again, about 5 years ago I drove solo from the UK. Once I got the basics sorted it wasn't so bad and, infact, a bit of an adventure. I'd now always go a day early, book a B&B or motel near resort and arrive in resort early on the first day. There are plently of other threads about what's suggested to take. Here's a few bits to consider:-
High Viz vests driver and each passenger, spare bulbs, coins for tolls, if you intend to drive regularly a Telepeage tag, ice scrapper, snow chains, kit to wear while fitting chains, good service on car before trip, anti freeze spray (extra strength), road map, torch, if diesel - purchase diesel fuel near resort (should contain additives that will resist freezing), if your car is being parked outside while you are in resort, ensure no liquids, bottled drinks etc are left in your car, they can freeze and rupture.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speaking telepeage, I go to US a lot with work, last time I was there a few weeks back the rental co never gave me the usual "ez-pass" on my rental. I couldnt be arsed going back to the counter so just took off down to my usual destination - via 3 toll booths. I had zero cash but assumed that I'd be sound with my flexible friend - not so in 2 out of the 3 tolls! I did manage to charm my way through for free unbelieveably (was tempted to ask for receipts to do an MP on it but drew the line somewhere). I'm guessing such blagging would be unlikely to be successful in Europe though!! Laughing I'm fine with winter driving and all that potentially goes with it (apart from possibly some of the legal requirments re chains / hi vis etc in some territories), but good to know about the rest areas / motels / telepeage business etc..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All noted. Thanks for the great tips and advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Fox, The AA website mentioned above will probably tell you anyway, but, in addition to the list so far, in some countries in Europe you have to carry a Warning Triangle and a First Aid Kit.
High viz vests, you have to have one each for everyone in the car and they have to be accessible from the seat you're sitting in - mine live under the front seats.

barry, I guess the first few times I drove alone it must have been quite exciting - in those days each Euro country had its own currency which always caused a mild panic at service stations Laughing Now I just find it boring and drive through the night so there is less stress with traffic. Normally when I head back to the UK I'm going Up North and so prefer to use the Norfolkline Ferry from Dunkirk to Dover. The crossing takes a couple of hours but after driving for 10 or so hours alone, a couple of hours sleep on the ferry is good to freshen up for the last few hours drive through the UK.
Quote:

driving gloves, DRIVING gloves!!!????

Don't mock!!! When the car is frozen and the steering wheel is icy cold, driving gloves are very handy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

if you hire a diesel from a city that you would need antifreeze additives in the mountains (make sure it's the one for diesel and not the windscreen wash). Last time I flew into Treviso, I could not find any additives in any of the stations on the motorway

I think that's an Italian problem - all diesel sold anywhere near the Alps in France is certainly good to minus 15 (not sure about the stuff up round Calais) and although we have a little bottle of the additive for lower temperatures we've not used it in 7 winters.

The one thing you definitely don't need, unless you're a complete dickhead with maps, is a satnav. It's a useful way of keeping an eye on how your timing is going, especially when driving back for a ferry, and can make life easier if you drive alone (or with a navigationally challenged partner). But in the Alps you need to treat them with care. They can take you over some closed mountain passes, for example, and I'm not too convinced by their general route finding in the Alps. Our TomTom makes some very peculiar decisions which I generally ignore, but once or twice when I've had the time and inclination of gone her way and found some very pretty and exciting mountain alternatives which I wouldn't dream of going near in the winter, or if I was in any kind of a hurry. From our apartment, for example, she does the Col d'Aravis/La Clusaz route to Geneva. It's open in winter OK, but no way is it a sensible alternative to the motorway - it takes far longer. And she always goes for the Gorges d'Arly where appropriate, whereas it's often closed. In fact I met a couple of very confused Frenchmen yesterday, trying to find their way to Megeve, who had found that road completely closed and headed up over a little mountain col. They had a satnav........but I'm not sure they knew how to programme it to go to X NOT via Y. The whole transaction was a strain on my French and I'm not sure I didn't just confuse them even more.

On the whole French (and I think Austrian) roads are well organised and well signposted - it's really easy to find your way around. But relying on a Satnav is not a good plan.

For the long stretch, to the French Alps, most people on Snowheads try to avoid Lyon by driving further east, from the A26 down from Calais then Dijon/Bourg en Bresse. Many routefinders (especially French ones like viamichelin.com) choose other routes.

But if you enjoy driving you'll enjoy the trip - just make sure you know how to do snowchains in the dark with one hand tied behind your back.

And you definitely need some driving gloves - though my ski gloves are fine. Starting off in a cold car at minus 10 degrees, then doing the first 40 minutes more or less downhill, for example, means that the heater takes forever to get going.
wink
snow report
Yes Sat nava can cause the odd issue I had some guests once who drove from Geneva to Val d'Isere and called me saying they were in La Tuille and the road was closed. SatNav had sent them through the Mont Blanc tunnel over the St Bernard and they were now stuck on the petit St Bernard which is a piste. They has to go back via the Frejus to Albertville and were not very happy when they arrived.

Andy
latest report
anderoo, Laughing Darwin awards candidates? They would follow a computer anywhere without looking at a map? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Arctic Fox, re satnav, remember that you are the brains in the partnership - it's just a thick computer. Tell it where you want to go, including suitable points on the way, and roads to avoid. Check it's not doing something stupid before you start driving wink
snow conditions
Tom Tom 730 couple of years old is intelligent enough to route me GVA to Tignes via albertville, moutiers rather than via St. Bernard Pass - perhaps this is something other models can now resolved.

of course I need to update it to get it to understand the new bit of motorway between GVA and Chambery but...

As to the map fetishists - I found TomTom vital when trying to get to Grenoble airport on my own as I doubt I could ever find it without a (turn left, turn right instructions) - If anyone knows an easy route then please let me know...
snow conditions
I only take satnav for a bit of company Shocked I usually ignore it. Although I say it myself I think I have a pretty good sense of direction.

Tonight with a little more time I can add a little more of a detailed post.

I have not driven on continent for a few years so the road updates are very handy. Despite it being a while ago I remember the seemingly never ending tolls through France. Probably will be driving this season coming (before xmas anyway), but will never say never. I do like the freedom of doing my own thing and driving across europe will be a bit like old times, so I am keen to do it again sometime maybe next year. Have thought about the train too, but only fancying doing that during the daytime, I have also heard the night train can be an experience!

Have most of the kit you fine people have mentioned, but not snow chains. I did give it a thought when I bought my current car a few months ago as they were offered in the brochure. When I do decide to give it a go I will nip down and order some, then practice putting them on in the dark and perhaps after a few beers. Would perhaps get some diesel additive too as a precaution.

Thank you all so much for all the help.
snow report
Quote:

I remember the seemingly never ending tolls through France

on the long stretches nowadays you pick up a ticket when you join the system, and pay (what can then be a great deal of money) when you get off.

But some stretches have gates you have to go through, willy nilly - e.g. the A40 between Geneva and Chamonix where there are two, which can cause significant holdups.

Interestingly, I drove through both those tonight and it was noticeable that the Télépéage gates actually had very small queues in them, whereas there were several empty credit card and "cash money" lanes. Maybe that's because it's a commuter route, with savvy drivers, or maybe the French are taking to the TP in greater numbers, which would soon, of course, cancel out all advantage of having one!
snow conditions
Driving solo is fine. Spent last year in Switzerland mainly on my own and drove out solo. I did use a kitchen tongs to get peage and car park tickets - fine if you don't drop them! Toll booths seem very tolerant of Brits and their right hand drive problems. Keep your hi-vis vest in the car and not the boot, and don't forget the warning triangle.
snow conditions
I've been through plenty of toll booths solo - before I had the télépeage badge. no problem, and getting out and walking round the car to the window is actually quite good if you've been sitting a while. Driving on your own can be really great. You get to choose all the music. One of my favourite drives of all time was across the Karoo in South Africa, on my own. And that was in a car with no radio. I also drove alone across Swaziland and bits of Lesotho. You meet more people that way. wink
ski holidays
Arctic Fox, remember to keep the receipt for your chains... because if you don't use it on holiday within the 28-30 days.... ahem.... Blush
ski holidays
streaky, but then you can't practice putting them on? wink
latest report
I've missed Grenoble airport even with a SatNav. It's a long fast road, and the turn off is very poorly signed. rolling eyes
ski holidays
the classic mistake in driving to Grenoble airport is assuming it's somewhere near Grenoble.
ski holidays
Coming home Grenoble airport is the turn off after the Tour de Pin turn off (just after the sign for Lyon airport Shocked )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
....Schuss in Boots provided much appreciated company on the way back from the EoSB. Cool

When I was asleep you mean...? wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy