Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
surfstar wrote:
rob@rar, Excellent! Lets hope its ready in time!

They are making really good progress so I'm sure it will be ready by December.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ady944 wrote:
Hi Rob, the one we was looking at was the Résidence Pierre & Vacances Le Belmont.
Probably get the full paradiski pass, or if the Les Arcs plus one or two day extension to La Plagne is a good idea we might look at that.
Brekkie at station sounds a good idea the go up as you said.

only thing with using p&v is with being there early on saturday i'd guess we would have to wait for check-in and we won't be leaving till late on sat night (12th feb) so i was wanting to book the extra night so we don't have to wait around all day with luggage! but p&v don't seem to let you book for 15nts.
Last year we went to L2A and rented off a private owner and they were really accomodating with check in/out times.

Thanks

When I did the train and the ski in Arc 1800 a few years back, then our appt block (charmettoger) had a reception area and a 'storage room' - we rocked up on the same train as you, got the first bubble up the mountain, got the bus round from 1600 to 1800 and grabbed some brekkie. We found our appartment block around 08:30 and whilst not being able to check in we could leave luggage in a luggage room, grabbed some skis and passes and was on the hill @ 09:30. Same game on the departure day - get changed drag bags round to the luggage room, go skiing, finish about 16:00 do a 'luggage room change' and get down the hill, dinnner in a resto near the station (good range of places nearby) and a few bevvies, evening train home. Worked quite well but luggage room wasn't locked and it felt a little risky, although we'd taken all the main valuables with us - no issues though. holidayloverxxx came up with some other ideas on baggage storage on her day trip
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=823002&highlight=les+arcs#823002

My other tip is if you are staying in 1800 - make sure you know what 'bit' of 1800 you're staying in e.g. chamettoger, villards, charvet, chantel - http://www.lesarcs.com/Interactive-map-Arc-1800,878.html and when you're getting the bus round from 1600 get off at the right stop as dragging luggage from say chamettoger to chantel is a pain in the butt...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bertie
Thaks for the advice all sounds good to me, do you recommend the charmettoger apts?
Which bit of 1800 is the best part to stay? chamettoger, villards, charvet, chantel? not really one for walking a long way to the lifts or for a few beers at night!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd be interested in the replies to Ady944's last question too. We stayed in La Cachette 1600 half board earlier this year and loved it, but it was a bit quiet for us. Considering going to Les Arcs again either Christmas or end of Jan again, but staying at 1800 or 1950 and maybe driving, maybe package... not really sure... so it'd be good to hear responses about 1800 in any case.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ady944 wrote:
Bertie
Thaks for the advice all sounds good to me, do you recommend the charmettoger apts?
Which bit of 1800 is the best part to stay? chamettoger, villards, charvet, chantel? not really one for walking a long way to the lifts or for a few beers at night!

Actually looking at the map I think it was the aiguille grive apps in the Charmettoger sector - certainly we had 3 blocks and the best ones were in the block nearest the charmettoger lift. I think this appartment is in that block - http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/les-arcs/18355

As to which bit of 1800 is best, different strokes for different folks - and it's not like there's a huge distance, but if you in one of the outer charvet blocks and are meeting at the transarc for lessons etc then it's a little walk/pole to get there. Chantel is a little up the hill from the main part of 1800, which makes it more ski-in / out - you ski down to the main lifts, but then you've got a walk uphill after a few beers. Villards is the most central, and where possibly the most bars are - plus it's well placed for the 2 main uplifts - the transarc and the vagere.

NSB1977 1600 is pretty dull - 1800 is better, but it's still a little week / bar dependent and it's french not austrian apres. If you go with a tour operator e.g. Nielsen they often organise a 'dinner and torchlit descent' from the Arpette restaurant - normally that's quite a lively night...and then you ski home in the dark.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ady944, NSB1977, If you can get a place in the Charvet building it is both ski in/out and near the bus stop plus by the bars at the top end like Bar Bou Bou which is a good place to meet people. Also you do not have to walk up to the lifts each morning as you can ski down to them. The ski lessons meeting points are also by the Vagere not the Transarc or at least I have never heard of that for ESF in 1800. The problem with the Chartmettoger lift end is that it is quite a hike to get to the bars etc in the evening, or should I say to get back late at night. Also if you have lessons and there are beginners it is hard for them as it is a long way in ski boots from where they will meet by the Vagere. For better skiers it is ok though as there is a lift right by the door. Just opens to late for early lesons.

bertie bassett, sorry to disagree with you but there are loads of bars and a couple of discos as well which run till very late in Arc 1800. There are also loads of places to eat in both the Villard and Charvet ends so NSB1977, ady944, you should have plenty to keep you busy, but France is not cheap be warned if you do not already know that.

It is well worth eating up at the Arpette one evening and skiing down. Best to book in advance as it can get busy.

Over in Arc 1950 and Arc 2000 there are now a few disco's and plenty of bars and resturants open till late as many season workers live in Arc 2000 now. But Arc 1950, although really nice is much more expensive than the other stations.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info! Good to know. Sounds like 1800 may be the place for us!

I would never, ever use the ESF as they were terrible when we stayed at 1600 earlier this year. Despite being English I was put with an instructor who spoke only French. Good job I happen to be bilingual in French and English, having a French mum - but they didn't know that! They also put me in the wrong group on the first day and I ended up not skiing at all. Waste of money. The tuition was absolutely awful and I learned far more with OH, though I would like to have private lessons if we go again, so that may be a consideration.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NSB1977, there are a couple of other ski schools you might want to consider if you're in Arc 1800: Arc Adventures based in 1800, or New Generation based in Vallandry but easy enough to get to from 1800 if you don't book the first lesson slot of the day. I've been taught by John Thomas of NewGen many times and can thoroughly recommend him if you're looking for a private lesson.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's exactly the sort of recommendation I needed, thanks Rob!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NSB1977, You could also try Rob Hutchison for lessons, he used to work for New Generation but has gone private. He's very well known and respected, has cards in most bars on Vallandry side.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant, thanks Allan! I was going to say, it would be useful to have 2 names - OH still enjoys learning while I'm in lessons, and as it's just the 2 of us he prefers to ski with someone else. We are at very different levels, (is one of these instructors better than the other for beginner/intermediate and intermediate/advanced levels?) Now just to decide when we go (week before Christmas, after Christmas for New Year or last week in Jan again?) and keep an eye on the prices/hotel availability... I hate this bit, I just want it booked...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread and taking it off topic Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NSB1977, I've not skied with Rob Hutchinson but heard good things about him. Another instructor who (I think) will be working for NewGen in Vallandry this season is Alex Leaf. he's another top instructor and also comes highly recommended. Both John and Alex are instructor examiners so in addition to teaching recreational skiers also teach and assess new ski instructors.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's great, thank you so much. A good instructor makes a huge difference to a holiday for me, (and for OH when I'm happy and not throwing a diva strop at the poor quality service I'm receiving Twisted Evil ) so it's very much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett wrote:
1600 is pretty dull - 1800 is better, but it's still a little week / bar dependent and it's french not austrian apres.

snowcrazy wrote:
bertie bassett, sorry to disagree with you but there are loads of bars and a couple of discos as well which run till very late in Arc 1800. .

How can you disagree with a statement that the craic is better in 1800 than 1600 - I'm pretty 99% of les arcs local would agree, and then a comment that the craic varies according to the week of the season and the bar you are in (all by definition true) and that France is not Austrian Apres
ski holidays
Squabbling between snowcrazy and bertie bassett (no doubt you will join in soon allanmwink ). A sign as sure as snow in Montchavin that Winter must be approaching Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, is it time for a new thread yet?
ski holidays
bertie bassett, it's the way you put it, I think the nightlife with a good group can be very fun in 1800 no matter what the week in the season or which bar you go into.

NSB1977, The best bars in 1800 I think are, Bar king mad, Bou Bou, Red hot, Benji's and Before bar. I have also heard that some of these are changing hands for this winter. They might do a similar night ski/dinner from Pouderusse Rest above peisey/vallandry this winter if there is a demand for it. Great idea.

NSB1977, Rob Hutchinson is excellent, but he gets booked uo well in advance. I have his contact if you want it. It is very strange they did not give you Harvey in 1600, another Scot. He works for the ESF but teaches in English when asked to. I agree the ESF really is hit or miss, but there are some very good instructors in 1800 ESF. We have used them for years. If you want some names let me know. A friend of mine also works for Arc Adventure. She is also Scottish. Very nice girl and great with all levels.

If you need help with arranging lessons send me a PM.

I have noticed that others have started new threads for 2010/2011 now so I guess we could.
ski holidays
Names/numbers would be brilliant, thanks SC. Do you mind PMing me? At the moment we're undecided when we'll be going (once around Christmas, once end of Jan, but we want to try somewhere else as well), but Les Arcs will definitely be one of our two ski trips.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
Squabbling between snowcrazy and bertie bassett (no doubt you will join in soon allanmwink ). A sign as sure as snow in Montchavin that Winter must be approaching Laughing

thefatcontroller Nahhh, Can't be bothered.
snow report
look like this thread is dead as they have started a new one
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy