Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Fogliettaz, I think snowcrazy said it was closed. Or maybe he said that the pool was closed? Probably best to send him a PM.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Thanks Rob
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm wrote:
rob@rar,
It is important in France to ask for a double expresso and not just a 'grand cafe noir', If you ask for the former, in all likelyhood you will get a single expresso topped up with hot water. Most places charge the same though. You don't have to ask for a double expresso in Le Relax.

Not true - just ask for un cafe - seems expresso is the default.

Not tried the coffee in Maximos but can vouch for it in Caleche, which is to the left of Le Rilax (with your back to the mountain!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fogliettaz

All shut - my family are out there currently and hiked up only to found it all closed up for renovations! Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will be in les arcs 2000 for the first time Dec 26 2010 what are the top ten things to do or places to go
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimF, Cycled past there on Friday and noticed it was all shut up, too bloody cold anyway for lunch on the deck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowmansteve, Welcome to snowHeads.
A good read through this 28 page topic will give you plenty more than 10 things to do
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fogliettaz, Tell them to head up to La Vache - it'll be open Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
genepi, Bach home now and if La Vache is above 2000mtrs it would have been too cold! Mont Pourri had a good dusting of snow last week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowmansteve, welcome tp snowHead

Plenty to do in both 2000 and 1950 - so long as you know the 'right places' - or are you talking about skiing?!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
genepi wrote:
allanm wrote:
rob@rar,
It is important in France to ask for a double expresso and not just a 'grand cafe noir', If you ask for the former, in all likelyhood you will get a single expresso topped up with hot water. Most places charge the same though. You don't have to ask for a double expresso in Le Relax.

Not true - just ask for un cafe - seems expresso is the default.

Not tried the coffee in Maximos but can vouch for it in Caleche, which is to the left of Le Rilax (with your back to the mountain!) Very Happy

genepi, Soz - true. 'un cafe' will get you an expresso as you correctly say, but 'un grand cafe noir' (to which I was referring) won't necessarily get you a large expresso....

La Caleche is a great restaurant.

Anyone about this coming Weekend, either in BSM or up the hill?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimW,

This will be a family holiday, my wife and youngest son have never skied before my eldest 2 and me have both skied. Looking to make sure that we all enjoy ourselves and encouage the non skiers to want to go again. Ideas of good run, pretty places etc much appreciated
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowmansteve

If your new skiers go with ESF in 2000, then depending on age, they will start on a dedicated area, and graduate to St Jacques, which while a nice run to begin with, is served by the slowest lift in the world ( yes, for regular Arc watchers, it is slower than Pre St Esprit - but probably because it is used primarily for beginners). With Spirit 1950 , again, depending on age, a slightly smaller nursery area, but equally protected, and then likely to get onto the Pre St Esprit Cascades as their next move.

There are blues off the top of the Col de la Chal ( access via Arcabulle) which they will be skiing by the end of the week, which have the advantage of sharing the top, and then running parallel to a variety of reds to a common meeting point. So different levels can start and finish together whilst not having to push the new and the nervous too far too fast. Also Plan Verte starts there ( blue) which run alongside a public ski-cross course and again, great for mixed abilites.

Good mountain stops on the 2000 side are the new Mushroom @ the base of Arcabulle, and Chalets de l'Arc see other threads for details. Meli's snack bar in 1950 is good for a burger and chips lunch, or there are other restaurants in 1950 which you ski to the door of - the pistes go through and across the village high street.
I think 1950 is pretty ( well, I would, wouldn't I...) , some here think it is too "disneyfied"! There will be fireworks, and plenty going on over the period you are there in both villages, which are joined by a free, pedestrian friendly lift, the Cabriolet, which runs until about 11pm (unless I can persuade the owners in 2000 to stump up some cash to help us 1950'ers open it later...).

If you are into your challenging runs, there's more than you could possibly want in the 2000 bowl, from some severe blacks such as Genepi, Robert Blanc, Drosset (my favourite), Lanches, mid range blacks Bois de L'ours, Combourciere, Refuge (off the grand col - MrsW favourite) and plenty more as well as the now infamous red (ha!) Malgovert down to 1600.
Signature run is the Aguille Rouge, 7km run to Villaroger off the cable car - you have to have done it once, but to be honest, once you get past the first 150 m of volkswagen sized moguls on a very steep pitch, its much of a muchness.
Plenty of between piste available too.

Over to Villaroger is nice, with Solliet a great restaurant, and possibly accesible to newbies (at end of week) from 2000 either via Lanchettes lift (although the initial bit of red from there is narrow and probably my least favourite bit of the whole Paradiski) or when the weather closes in, they open the drag lift at Pre St Esprit, Rhonaz 44 which then means blue all the way to the restaurant, and back. Can also access La Ferme at the bottom, tarte to die for, as featured in the Top Gear race between Hamster driving from 1950, and a couple of ski flyers going up to the Aguille Rouge ( must have been able to push past the queues), and down the 'back route'.

Favourite family run, and again, can be got to by blues, is Mont Blanc (Cascades past 1950 to Combourciere lift, Belvedere and cut off into 1600 via Sources, then Mont Blanc Chair back out) Or short cut via Deux Tetes black, or the aformentioned Malgovert : an undiscovered gem - most visitors don't go there because mont blanc is another slow lift, but that's what makes it special - there's no-one around. Can get the bus back to 2000 at the end of the day if tired.

piste map: http://www.lesarcs.com/IMG/jpg/plan_lesarcs08_copie.jpg

God why am I writing this? I want to go. NOW.

I haven't even mentioned the 1800 or Pesiey stuff, or further afield in La Plagne: but if you've got beginners in the group, you'll probably want to meet up at lunchtime, and while we have done La Plagne and back for the end of ski school, its a bit of a scoot rather than enjoying the mountain. So I'd recommend coming a second time, possibly a 3rd and probably a 4th, and saving until next visit...

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW, Fervently disagree on Magovert , it's a terrible, awful severly overrated run, which, of course is why so few people use it! The 'alternative' entrance could even be construed as 'a little challenging' He he...
Another, IMHO is Combe above Valandry, don't bother with that either.... (;>)

Al'
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love the Malgovert area as there is so much terrain to play, with lots of little steep bit with gentle run outs, trees, natural jumps and banks and the adventure of finding a route down every time. It's especially fun in fresh snow.

ski holidays
rob@rar, We went down Malgovert once to find the French army guys skiing up it Shocked . Way to hard, I prefer the gravitational element to skiing.
latest report
JimW,
Thanks for all the great advice and tips and to everyone else who has posted. Very Happy

The pics look awesome, we are all really looking forward to going.

How exactly do you get to the Malgovert area? Is it an area of off piste?
snow report
snowmansteve wrote:
How exactly do you get to the Malgovert area? Is it an area of off piste?

It is a marked and patrolled red piste, but it is not prepared by a piste basher. You access it from the top of the Comborciere lift.
latest report
JimW, you must have far to much time on your hands to write all that. When are you out this summer? Did you get the email I sent you last month?

Rob, will you be online when you get out?

I guess Malgovert is not much of a secret anymore, the amount of people that have talked about it on here. Very easy to get to, just go to the top of the Combourciere chair lift (very slow) and follow the signs on the right, it is a nature ride red piste which means that when it is 'open' it is an unpisted piste. Have fun.
latest report
I'd have enjoyed Malgovert a whole lot more had I not had an audience of picnic-ers (sitting on the rocks above the start of the run) laughing at me grappling with car-sized moguls. rolling eyes
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
Rob, will you be online when you get out?

Yes, send me a PM if you are around.
latest report
Just a quick update from the weekend.

The lift by the Vache in Peisey is nearly finished. The vache restuant is open now for the summer. The van express is closed on sat and sundays this summer. There is a new single track bike route from the top of Transarc down towards arc 2000 almost finished. No sign of tow rope, moving floor or luge in arc 2000 bowl. The Mushroom rest is open now until end of August 'ish. East in 1950 is now closed for ever, very sad. Georges is open from 5pm most days till late august. Arc 2000 still looks like a building site. Not much new happening in Arc 1600 or 1800. The Solliet rest going down to Villaroger is closed all summer. The only other plac on the hill open seems to be the poudrouse above peisey. It is now owned by the Arpetter I have heard.

If you want to see more new pics or get the answers to the photo quizz go to my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/snowcrazy.chris#!/?ref=home
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Actually spending all my free time dealing with the 1950 ASL and the OA, so writing about snow rather than politics is refreshing..

Unfortunately have discovered that I have run out of holiday this year ( the problem with spending 4 weeks on snow last winter, and Christmas this year...) so can't make it over. Which is a real PITA.

Did get your email: as a result, have not linked anything until your blog is ready. Will revert presently.

Hope George is well, and making a profit! - the village is supposedly very full this summer with well over 1500 guests per week booked through August. Shame about East - I've been talking with Hitesh back here and there are a variety of reasons for what has happened. Hopfully to be replaced in time for winter by another restaurant, run by the French. Personally I think a Chinese would do really well!

J
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:

The only other plac on the hill open seems to be the poudrouse above peisey. It is now owned by the Arpetter I have heard.

Now that could be interesting Smile

Snowmansteve Welcome to snowHead
If you want pretty with great runs for the beginners, get over to the Peisey/Vallandry side. Lovely tree-lined pistes. I hope you have a great time Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
There is a new single track bike route from the top of Transarc down towards arc 2000 almost finished.

Tell us more!

Is this in addition to the two red tracks down from the transarc?

Tux
ski holidays
tuxpoo wrote:
snowcrazy wrote:
There is a new single track bike route from the top of Transarc down towards arc 2000 almost finished.

Tell us more!
Is this in addition to the two red tracks down from the transarc?
Tux

I'll let you know on Sunday Very Happy ... hopefully with some pics. You want me to look at anything else while I'm there?
snow conditions
allanm, When your there can you look for a 7 bed chalet for us please to lease need to get the snowshepherd chalet up and running Toofy Grin
snow conditions
livetoski, We're thinking about buying an apartment/chalet in BSM, idea is to look round the imobiliers this weekend on a 'feasibility study', would most likely be for 2011 / 2012 season though (:<).

If we see any 7 bed chalets going cheap, I'll let you know.
Our first ski this year is Christmas day for two weeks, BTW.

All, Surprising the people that don't know about Malgovert, I was out with people last season who had been going to LA for 'years' and had never been up comborciere, never mind found Malgovert...and yes, turned out to be their favourite run. Surprise surprise!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Malgovert was an experience - not sure I'll take my youngest on it again though, wasn't quite to her taste. Technically she can do it but I think was a bit tired and freaked out

The boys beat me down Embarassed
snow report
Boris, But surely that was just because you were taking care of you daughter wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
genepi, yes that's it - I remember now and Mrs Boris Laughing
snow conditions
tuxpoo, Yes it is in addition to the runs already marked. The race course under the lift down to bottom of arcabulle is getting warn out due to the erosion so they have made a new one, you can now do both, as well as the other reds and blues, but I think the new race course is much easier.

livetoski, if you are serious about finding a chalet/apartment that sleeps 7+ send me a PM and I might know someone that may be able to help. allanm, if you want any advice re. agents in Bourg send me a PM as I know most of them. Some ok, some very poor!

JimW, hard luck about the summer, hope to see you in the winter. I understand Vincent from Spirit has or will be buying East and maybe turning it into a steak house or something like that. I agree a chinese would be better, but the guys from Bourg tried it in Tignes and it did not work. But we can hope!
See yu in the winter for a ski, hope everything in 1950 is getting sorted. Cheers! snowHead
snow report
snowcrazy,
Checked out the map on les arcs bike site.
It seems there's a green run appeared that veers off round the reservoir.
Red 10 (the orginal) is great track. More worn the better I say Twisted Evil

Kerr
snow report
For those interested latest photo from the building work up in 2000. No sign of 'magic carpet' that snowcrazy was talking about but don't suppose they will start that work until the main building work has been finished on the apartments?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4540290&id=262588659440
latest report
tuxpoo, they are calling this new route 'green 13' and it is now open all the way to the reservoir, but according to those that ride greens, there is no way they feel it is a green. It is a single track and has some hard spots, more like a blue race course rather than doing the harder red under the lift. But a great way to get people hooked on downhill without scarring them on the reds or blacks.

Still no sign of tow or moving floor in Arc 2000 bowl, but as thefatcontroller, says whole place looks like a building site. They have also not started the new snowpark lift yet, I wonder why?

Plans for another new development are out and still no progress on Edenarc above 1800.

http://www.ecome-energie.com/Ecome_Energie/References.html

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2808&p=55897#p55897

Does the resort really need this, I do not think so. rolling eyes
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
... and still no progress on Edenarc above 1800.

I think work started yesterday. It looks like excavators are creating a new access road to the EdenArc site, starting opposite the new MGM building on Rue du Golf (?).
snow conditions
Edenarc is being run by the same crew that did 1950 - same builder, same project individuals in the mix but with their own company now rather than being senior management within Intrawest.

Got any pictures of the ground breaking Rob?
snow conditions
rob@rar, Was Edenarc the one I was looking at buying 5/6 years ago? If so I'm glad I didn't wait Toofy Grin
snow conditions
JimW wrote:
Got any pictures of the ground breaking Rob?

Will have later, currently painting so up to my arms in brushes and rollers.

Boredsurfing, no, that would have been Arc 1950, which as far as I'm aware was completed to timetable. Unless is was an MGM development, called L'Iseran, which is very delayed but will be handed over to owners this December.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think it was l'Iseran. I find running out of paint stops that decorating nonsense Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy