Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how come la Plagne has only been about 80% open so far?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I dont get it, why dont they open it all (i realise now its been snowing heavily, so thats a good reason, but last week and week before it was sunny the whole time and no snow for a while!! Shocked

are they just being lazy or is that normal? Puzzled

better be 100% open (snow permitting!) come April 9th!! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, I've noticed they often keep the glacier area closed for no apparent reason. Can't think why. The gondola runs to give access to other runs but you can't use the little steep runs on the glacier itself. Which is no great loss.
Avalanche risk is the main reason why other areas can be left unopened. A Belgian couple were killed recently on the Champagny side.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tricky conditions at moment - rain up to 1900m yesterday, fair amount of snow at higher altitude, plummeting temperatures overnight, more snow at moment, very strong, gusting winds. Most domains will have something shut in such circumstances. At altitude last week some slopes still suffering from lack of snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, PG, fair enough (i figured there was good reason)....think i was being a little harsh calling all them heroic piste basher folk lazy eh...i was just getting all excitable!!

i really shoudl get on with these assignments man....fantasising about skiing aint getting me nowhere! Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01, calm down!
Even just 80% of La Plagne is more than enough for most people. Were you intending to do all 160 runs?
Here is a list of all the runs and whether they are open or closed.
1. It is snowing hard and rather windy so the glacier area and many of the higher runs will be closed for safety until the avalanche danger subsides.
2. Many of the black runs - especially those in Sector Biolley - are over rocky terrain and frequently closed.
3. The runs served by the Glacier drag are usually closed in winter to conserve the area for summer skiing.
Conditions now and number of runs open are very similar to when I was out there the end of last month. We had more than enough runs to keep us happy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry Jonpim!! Embarassed

im relaxed again now Cool , just having one of those moments Skullie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A lot of snow is required to make glacier ski areas safe, if you think about it there's a lot of holes to fill in. Down the hill in the meadows rather less is required. This leads to the ironic situation where the top's closed and the bottom's open, I'm not local to La Plagne so I'm not 100% sure that's been their problem, it's been an issue here though and other places.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, in the awful winter of 2001/2003 when there was a general snow drought in Europe they did open up all the glacier, including the glacier tow. This thrilled all those who like to ski the north face of Bellecote, as usually they have to walk up to the ridge, but that year the lift took them up most of the way.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, you mentioned a tow earlier, think they've removed it now the new chair's up and running?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:
ise, in the awful winter of 2001/2003 when there was a general snow drought in Europe they did open up all the glacier, including the glacier tow.

This is an accumulative problem of course, the amount of snow required each year on the glaciers depends on the accumulation of the previous year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, I stand corrected. When did that go in?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well it was up and running at the start of July 2004

The drag was still there then, but not working, and someone said it was about to be dismantled...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy