Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to use free ski days?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and Mrsmfj197 will be buying season lift passes for the Grand Massif to cover our 3 trips this season - 7 days over Christmas, 7 days in early March and a cheeky long weekend at the end of January. The first and third trip we'll have 6 of us in our chalet in Verchaix but the middle weekend will be just us.

The season lift pass offers free days to some other ski resorts as well, so my question is where should we look to go (probably during the middle long weekend)? The lift pass offers:
1 day at Verbier
3 days at Courmayeur
3 days at any of the Haute Savoie ski regions (Chamonix is limited to Le Pass, not Mont Blanc Unlimited)

So where should we go? We'd either drive daily from our base in Verchaix (near Morillon), or if we stayed somewhere for the entire weekend I guess we could look at staying in accommodation. I'll have a go at most things although don't necessarily enjoy deep mogulled blacks very much. Mrsmfj197 is coming on in leaps and bounds, enjoys blues and is really getting to grips with reds but probably wouldn't want to go somewhere where she'd feel she has no option but to go down 'difficult' runs. We've both fairly recently discovered the joys of powder too.

Michael
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be looking at access as my first criteria.

Courmayeur is going to be a long day trip, I'm not a huge fan of the skiing there but there is plenty to do and Aosta is a fairly cool town. Great pizza, really good coffee. Reasonable value and fun with a slightly Italian flair.

Verbier. Huge contrast to Grand Massif skiing. Easy / quick to get to. Really great resort but I'm biased. You'll enjoy a day there.

Le Pass. Don't know so well.

Other Haute Savoie. I'm not familiar with the smaller places, I'm sure there are some charming spots with great skiing.

On my 'day trips' I like contrast to my usual ski spot, hopefully in both terms of skiing and village / resort life.

(The other thing to ask yourself, is it worth it? You don't have much time so I would want to make the most of the ski time, not worry about travel time and not knowing where to ski when you get there).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor, I would have thought that it was quicker to get to Courmayeur than Verbier.

Does Megeve count as one of the Haute Savoie stations ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, thanks for the info. Verbier would be nice but my fear was the distance - is it quickest to drive up past Les Gets to Lake Geneva and round that way, or to drive past Chamonix? I think access is probably quite key, unless we do spend all 3 days somewhere.

rjs, I'm pretty sure Megeve does count as one of the Haute Savoie regions. I've skied a week there but a long time ago so can't remember too much about it (was right at the beginning of my skitime!). Wouldn't take too long to get there - from memory is quite low in altitude but end of Jan should be fine I guess.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the basis that Grand Massif was on the 'free days' list on our Mont Evasion season pass last year I'd say it's pretty definite and it took us just under an hout the other way IIRC The whole area 450km or so should keep you busy for a day or two and would I think suit Mrs mfj197. My favourite bit is Combloux and La Giettaz rather than Megeve which actually was my least favourite resort/slopes of the area.

If snow is good I might even think about heading for some of the 'dinky' places that you wouldn't entertain on a normal holiday maybe Mont Saxonnex or somewhere like that- mostly very low though so need good snow.

Or as Parlor says just stay where you are!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mfj197, Courmayeur sounds perfect for your Mrs. It's about 60% red runs, some wide open and some through the trees. Perfect resort for intermediates, but not a large ski area, most competent intermediates would be able to cover it in 2-3 days. Even the black runs weren't too scary but stay away from Dell-Orso, it's unpisted and horrible.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would second Courmayeur, great for a long weekend. The skiing has been covered, but the highlights could well be, lunch and the shopping, and the best hot chocolate on the planet. Check out the bombadinos, hot black coffee, advocate and whipped cream sounds odd, is amazing, but only if you are staying over.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice folks. Cormayeur does sound good, but maybe only really an option if we stayed there due to the commute from Verchaix. Bombadinos most interesting! I'm beginning to think that maybe we'll have to be based from Verchaix as we'll need to go there straight from the airport anyway, and on our way back, as that's where our skis and skiwear will be. Last year we went round to Avoriaz for a day (I'd been for 2-3 weeks before, about 7 years ago) and it was far too busy. How about Les Gets for a day trip - it's an easy drive away?

Annie, thanks for the info on the Mont Evasion area and for your favourites! I'll look into them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mfj197, Not sure of the definitions of the Le Blanc pass but of course Chamonix is worth a visit, ditto Verbier which should be about 90mins plus from you over the Forclaz pass..if in good condition. We got turned back last year but we were chancing it.

Drive to Le Chable for access into their lift sys. Haven't been there for a while, but Verbier knows a thing or two about mogul fields Laughing

Megeve is pretty and a great confidence builder and Les Gets can be more of the same. Both worth a day in nice conditions.. at least the Mrs will think so, IMV
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mfj197, Les Gets might be interesting but if the snow's good Praz-de-Lys might be quieter. Haute Savoie tickets probably only work one day in each resort. La Clusaz or Les Contamines might appeal. Le Pass has only advantage if you want to ski the Grands Montets glacier or the Vallee Blanche, neither of which I suspect is likely. Les Houches also worth a thought. Megeve maybe, St Gervais maybe.

Courmayeur more of a hike, the tunnel takes 30 minutes in its own right. Only worth it if the weather is wildly different and crap on this side. It often is wildly different.

Verbier also a hike (you're 1hr to Cham from Verchaix (we do it quite often as chums live in Verchaix)) and then 1-1.25 hrs to Verbier. If the pass is open.

I wouldn't even consider going down the vallee d'Aulps to Thonon and round the lake. I presume it's a ski holiday not a driving holiday. Doesn't sound as though Verbs is your ideal location anyway. But if it's "free" skiing, maybe worth a look.

Lots of options.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, have driven the hour to Chamonix fairly frequently in the summer - so Verbier's another hour on top of that? Probably puts it out of reach for one day's skiing when there's many closer options to explore. End Jan the snow should hopefully be fairly good so yes, maybe it's Les Gets and Combloux / La Giettaz / Megeve for a variety of cruisy runs. Thanks for the advice - much appreciated! Have heard of Praz-de-Lys but had no idea it was so close, so I should probably look at that one!

Michael
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mfj197, Praz-de-Lys Sommand is a hidden gem. You can see its principal black run (which is excellent) from the top of Mont Chery (Les Gets). Its reputation is as a Nordic station, so we found it much quieter than many places were when we dropped in. Not that well known by anyone other than locals.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, just been looking at its website and on Google Earth. It looks well worth a trip, and is very close by. It would be interesting to see the familiar surroundings of the valley and Le Mole from a different angle! Any must-ski runs?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want a bit of an adventure and don't mind a bit of driving you've got a great opportunity to try some fantastic resorts in 3 different countries!

eg Drive to Courmayeur, ski for the day and stay the night. In the morning come back through the tunnel and onto Le Chable. Ski Verbier for the day. At the end of the day drive back to Chamonix. Stay in Cham for the night. Ski the Grands Montets the next day and then drive back to your chalet. 3 days of very different skiing plus a night each in Courmayeur and Chamonix.

Lots of people would chop off your arm for a long weekend like that!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy