Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go to get confidence back ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya , newbie here.
Would really appreciate some info/help/recommendations on where to go.
I’m a reasonably good skier (well, in my dreams) but my other half is an extremely nervous, timid 3 weeker; this will be her fourth week and it is really last chance saloon. We went to Saalbach this year and an idiot, showing off, crashed into her on the nursery slope- this really knocked her confidence and we had lots of tears on the slopes after that.
We also have a 3y old and are taking the in-laws along to help looking after junior.
I will get my kicks with the lads later on so I want to arrange a holiday that will help Mrs Bluebull to enjoy it.
Is there a resort that can offer?
1) Lots of easy, easy, cruising, confidence building runs
2) Good private lessons
3) Good comfy accommodation (the in-laws don’t like roughing it)
4) Activities to do during the day for the in-laws
5) Good snow cover end of January

We have been to Soldeu and Seefeld before but would like to try something else and I tend to go to the big-ones with my mates, having said that Serre Chevalier or Courchevel may be suitable.

All suggestions will be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Samoens or Morillon (very close to each other and share the ski area). We skied in Morillon at the end of January this year with two children (3rd year skiers), a 2nd year skier teenager, a nervy intermediate, two experienced skiers and a non-skier. The two resorts suited our group very well - there is a long green run (Marvel) which is great for confidence building, some great tuition with a choice of schools (some of our group used ZigZag for a couple of private lessons), non-skiers can some up on the gondola to meet the others for a drink or lunch and the 3 year old can try a bit of toboganning here too. The villages of Morillon and Samoens are very pretty (especially the latter), with shops, cafes etc. PM me if you need more info Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bluebull, Courchevel has little or nothing to offer the non-skier, and is risibly over-priced. You could look at Alpe d'Huez - big beginner area with lots of greens and blues, some stuff for non skiers (including easy bus trip to Grenoble for the day), and these people http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/ for lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd second Alpe d'Huez, especially the Bergers end for being right on the spot for all the Greens.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Choose a good ski school for some confidence building lessons. Choice of resort is a secondary consideration IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs Bluebull has some kindred spirits here, me for instance! Last March I organised a trip for such folks (friends/families welcome too of course) to Les Deux Alpes. It was very successful and it's happening again. There is a link to both the 2010 and 2009 threads below. LDA isn't the prettiest place but there are plenty of things that make it attractive. The main resort area is almost entirely flat, along a valley. That means there is no slip-sliding up/down hills to and from accommodation, lifts and shops and the pavements are kept well cleared. That is a definite bonus for both the more nervous and for the older person. There is also a continuous free bus service around it. To address your points

Maybe not as many as some places, but I have found there to be plenty for me. At resort level there is a whole range of Poma lifts serving short slopes from barely sloping to quite challenging.. There are also trails traversing this area. Les Cretes has a lovely green and a blue side by side served by two chairs, with a really nice cafe which is accessible on foot via the Jandri 1 (White eggs) gondola. There is a good alternative confidence boosting route to this area as well, starting off going up the "Red Eggs" instead. The Jandri Express takes you to the foot of the glacier. This too is foot accessible and there is a good restaurant there and access to the funicular that takes you up to the top where pedestrians can visit the ice grotto. The glacier runs (Puy Salie) are superb for confidence and on a clear day the view is breathtaking and there is a green and gentle blue just below the restaurant. I have skied all the way from there down to Les Cretes - bits were challenging for me but with my instructor they were addressed!

2) Good private lessons
I cannot recommend Charlotte (www.Easiski.com) highly enough. She is fantastic at instilling confidence. Our trip includes group lessons with a difference. THere are max 4 in a group, and ALL are those wanting to gain or regain confidence - there is 1:1 support but also peer support and camaraderie from others similar to yourself.

Charlotte is always happy to give local advice on this. There are good apartments and hotels.

Depends what they want. There are a number of lifts that pedestrians can use including the one down to the steeply sloping and attractive village of Venosc. There is a bus around the resort and down to Bourg D'Oisans. There is a cinema, bowling alley, swimming pool, shops etc.

LDA has excellent snow cover right through as it is high and a glacier resort. You might even consider doing a summer trip there in mid-late June with skiing up to lunchtime on the glacier and potentially 25-30 degrees at resort level!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54987&highlight=
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40861&

Mrs Bluebull might like to read my blog of the 2009 trip: http://hp57.blogspot.com/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-10-09 12:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, when I start my 2Alpes chalet company you can do my marketing for me. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I disagree that Courchevel has little or nothing to offer a non-skier!!

What kind of activities do the in-laws want to do? There are walks, and plenty of other things to do in Courchevel, shops to mooch around, bars/cafes to watch the slopes from etc.

I think the green slopes, the easy access to the magic carpet, and the bubble lifts with various higher stop off points to work your way up to are ideal for beginners.

There is a list of things to do here http://www.courchevel.com/activites.php?Rub=33

but rob@rar, makes sense with suggesting going with a recommended instructor first. easyski comes highly recommended on here and has apparently worked wonders with other timid skiers...

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52132
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Mayrhofen

spend a day or 2 on the Ahorn - there'll be hardly anyone there, wide open piste at the top, comfy fast chair.
Move on to Penken (via Horbergerbahn) and go up to Horberg area for more of same
Rastkogel for even more.
2) Good private lessons
Can't comment on this, sure someone can recommend.
Austrian hotels are generally excellent. Can recommend Zillertalerhof (away from busy end of town).
Picturesque town, nice for walking, small guage railway to other resorts. Hintertux 45 mins away for high altitude sightseeing. Krimml falls nearby (not sure if you can get to it in Winter), . Innsbruck about 1 hour away (e.g.Swarovski crystal museum) etc etc
Skiing 1600m - 2500m, plus full coverage cannons I think. Can't imagine there's ever been a problem.

Local creche is also very good if you want to make use of it .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Louis, helpful link, thank you ever so much
Anniepen, Butterfly thank you very much
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out Les Gets, I'm not to sure what there is to do during the day as I spent all my time skiing, but they found enough to keep my little sister occupied and I noticed a husky race at one point! The main reason I recommend it is the nice long cruising runs which is why I really like it there Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bluebull, If you can get to Hemel book a session with insideoutskiing before you go. The instructors are excellent and regular contributors here, they helped a very nervous friend of mine find her ski legs quite quickly. You could do the Snowheads session there on Nov14th whre the same guys provide coaching sessions at verey favourable rates The other nice thing with Hemel is it has really good snow ideal for confidence building.
Agree 100% with Anniepens resort choice and ski school reccomendation. The blues there are well groomed nice and wide and not too steep so only a small steping stone the Reds there are not to tough either. Flaine has miles of easy cruising and some better stuff for your self similarly Les Carroz has some slightly tougher terrain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Choose a good ski school for some confidence building lessons. Choice of resort is a secondary consideration IMO.

Seconded.

I think the importance of the ski-school should not be underestimated and therefore that should be the prime choice. I'd recommend Courchevel 1650 or La Tania with Ski New Gen as the ski-school as that should tick most boxes.

RPF wrote:
bluebull, If you can get to Hemel book a session with insideoutskiing before you go. The instructors are excellent and regular contributors here, they helped a very nervous friend of mine find her ski legs quite quickly. You could do the Snowheads session there on Nov14th whre the same guys provide coaching sessions at verey favourable rates The other nice thing with Hemel is it has really good snow ideal for confidence building.

Seconded but I would book a private lesson with insideoutskiing - http://www.insideoutskiing.com/index.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bluebull, I would also agree with the Bergers end of Alpe d'Huez. There is also a very good English ski school, Masterclass. One run is so gentle the instructor calls it a billiard table with a beer mat under one end! The link has been given above in a previous comment.

Town is ugly though!
ski holidays
bluebull, while I agree that the greens in Alpe d'Huez are lovely for beginners, I'm not quite so sure that this would be an ideal place for your OH, because the greens above the resort are also the 'home runs' & consequently have lots of fast skiers & boarders whizzing down them - probably not what she needs at this stage...
LDA would be better, I think (& you could always try a day in ADH from there!). Or Les Gets/Morzine - miles of gentle blues, & all very pretty, with lots of trees (I was more used to the big, high resorts when I went there, & was most impressed - it was like skiing in a Christmas card Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays
Jasper, Alberta.

John.
snow conditions
Jo225 wrote:
LDA would be better, I think (& you could always try a day in ADH from there!).....
and if you want to do that in style, there is a helicopter transfer for something like £60

Lizzard, Laughing Laughing
snow report
bluebull, I agree with all the recommendations for Alpe d'Huez and Masterclass. Stay with Ski Miquel if you want a chalet. If you give me a description of that idiot show-off, I'll see if I can track him down for you!
latest report
I don't recommend going to Alpe d'huez, yes it does have the easy runs, but they're all at the bottom of the slopes and only a few hundred yards long in the first place and at the bottom of them it is flat so you have to get speed up and ski straight down to get to the lift, otherwise you will be polling in. All the lifts are button lifts except for the DMZ which takes you up a bit higher and then that little bit of run to the top of the button lifts is lumpy, steeper and busy.

I assure you will be bored to tears, you may as well go to an indoor ski slope in the UK.

Although it is ugly, I recommend Tignes or Ideally Val Claret for the position of lifts, you can go off on a ski safari and all on easy runs - the snow is absolutely beautiful and pristine. The only problem with Tignes is that there is a really steep black to get back down to the town and there is no other way, other than coming into Val Claret and catching the bus, but that isn't a problem really. Alternatively you could go to Val D'sere which is more expensive, but has good shopping etc. But personnally the Val Claret is in the best position for blue cruisers.
ski holidays
innerspaceservices wrote:
Alternatively you could go to Val D'sere which is more expensive, but has good shopping etc.

That would be a very poor choice of resort, IMO, for timid intermediates who are looking for somewhere to build their confidence.

I'd also recommend Courchevel (either 1650 or 1850) because it has a good choice of excellent ski schools and lots of suitable terrain. Another choice might be Vallandry (part of the Les Arcs domain) which has lots of easy pistes and more importantly a good ski school to help nervous skiers build confidence (I can recommend a couple of instructors there who would be perfect for the OP).
snow conditions
I also recommend Courchevel 1850. I have been working in different ski resorts and the best place for complete beginners or to improve your confidence is of course Courchevel 1850. Magic carpet and then Altiport area and Verdons. A lot of wide and gentle green runs and after that very easy blue runs to increase your confidence and your technical level. Have fun!
ski holidays
Hamish, not sure if I agree with you on Mayrhofen, as much as I love the place. The Ahorn would indeed be a great starting point, but on the Penken there's very limited blue runs. I find the reds are, for the most part, really red/blues, but nonetheless they may be a little bit challenging for someone trying to find their feet on blues again.
snow report
bluebull, personally if your OH is nervous as a result of a crash perhaps a quieter resort would be more helpful, i've always found North America and Canada to be far less crowded.
snow report
A lot of the Austrian and Swiss resorts have plenty of "Wellness" going on. For ladies this is a really nice option for a few afternoons, you're bound to win "thoughtfulness" points for booking something with a pool, hot stone massage and some hair and beauty.
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
A lot of the Austrian and Swiss resorts have plenty of "Wellness" going on. For ladies this is a really nice option for a few afternoons, you're bound to win "thoughtfulness" points for booking something with a pool, hot stone massage and some hair and beauty.

until the point in time when you explain she has to get naked to get in the sauna...
snow conditions
bluebull, I can recommend La Rosiere as it meets just about all your criteria, there are extensive blue and red pistes directly accessible from the village, Tetras, the main piste down from the Roches Noires chairlift is a wide long blue with changing gradients, just right to for improving technique and building confidence. There are a number of excellent ski schools in the village, either for group lessons or personal tuition, there is also a superb nursery/creche for your 3yr old if required. To give an indication of the sort of lodgings available check out www.morealps.com I must declare an interest here, as this is my son's company but your in-laws would not be roughing it in any of his chalets. I wouldn't say that there is an abbundance of activities for non-skiers, just like most other ski-resorts but there are organised walks and guided tours, an ice-rink, plenty of shops, a fitness centre, sauna and hameau, bars and restaurants and the kiddies ski area is conveniently located close to the main ski areas, so good for the grandparents to watch baby. Finally La Rosiere is high at 1850 metres and is consistently rated in the top five French ski stations for snow-cover. The Tourist Office has a good website www.larosiere.net with lots more information.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
Frosty wrote:

until the point in time when you explain she has to get naked to get in the sauna...

Why is that a problem?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jo225 wrote:
bluebull, while I agree that the greens in Alpe d'Huez are lovely for beginners, I'm not quite so sure that this would be an ideal place for your OH, because the greens above the resort are also the 'home runs' & consequently have lots of fast skiers & boarders whizzing down them - probably not what she needs at this stage...

There are numerous green runs which are not home runs in the bowl above ADH

i agree that ADH is a pretty good candidate. generally speaking the runs get harder the higher up the mountain you get so it is quite easy for an intermediate to progress without finding themselves suddenly out of their depth
ski holidays
I would suggest Klosters in Switzerland..

Madrisa, one of the mountain ranges in Klosters (not the main Parsenn area) is solely used by beginners and intermediates. Its almost entirely blue and red runs, there are some lovely wide gentle runs, and there is one black on the whole mountain (and it's a nice one too). As it caters mainly for the less confident, people like the accident causer you mentioned tend to avoid it. Bonus. Plus, the main Parsenn area has a lot of cruisy blues and nice reds if confidence increases.

2) Good private lessons
I cannot sing the praises of the local ski schools enough- ski school Saas (www.sss-saas.ch) has several English instructors who are lovely, and used to nervous people.

There are lots of high end hotels, and a couple of very nice cheaper ones depending on the price range. If money is no object, the Chesa Grishuna, the Verena and the Silvretta Park are all lovely. For a more price friendly option, the Sport Lodge is nice.

Klosters itself is a quiet little town-lots of little shops and cafes. There is some walking routes around the town, as well as horse sleighs etc. If they get bored, Davos is 20 minutes by train, and a busy city.

I would say its guarenteed unless its a freakishly bad year.
snow report
whistler and blackcombe are brilliant for cruising all day long
the village life and shops are brilliant
there is so much to do, can't list it all
definitely not going to get bored and the accommodation is miles better than europe
snow report
swisssnowbunny,
Quote:

I think thats a good idea.

Do the Swiss get naked in the sauna ? (ok so its off topic but I'm sure people want to know)
snow report
Frosty wrote:
swisssnowbunny,
Quote:

I think thats a good idea.

Do the Swiss get naked in the sauna ? (ok so its off topic but I'm sure people want to know)

Yes. And some do insist everyone does. Sad

When in... do as the ...
snow report
abc wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
Frosty wrote:

Why is that a problem?

Have you seen Mrs bluebell naked? wink
snow report
andyph, bull not bell wink
latest report
What about Dubai, easy slopes in the fridge, beaches for the little one to play on, plenty of (tax-free) shopping and the locals stay fully clothed in the sauna...
latest report
bluebull, over new year many years ago my brother and I got a great deal at Italy's Macugnaga near to the Swiss border. It's a small resort, it's chocolate-box pretty, high enough and snow-sure. It's also a resort with very few Brits but lots of Italian couples and families go to its small, family run hotels, to ski, snowshoe and enjoy coffee and cake shops. I'd guess though it might not challenge your legs or your liver but mrs bluebell and the others might love its easy-going ambience. Little Angel

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Macugnaga/reviews

http://www.igluski.com/italy/macugnaga_r25767
snow report
[quote="andyphHave you seen Mrs bluebell naked? wink[/quote]

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks all, lots of useful info
ski holidays
bluebull, we look forward to reports on what you decide and how it pans out - with pics!
snow report
If not too late I would second Anniepen with Samoen. Great place with a bit to do for non skiers in the day, and they can also go up to 1600 on the Gondola and have lunch with all the skiers in the mountains, not to mention watching anyone on the nursury slopes whilst having a drink. Hotel Neige et Roc is very good. Lovely food, very comfortable , with a pool and Sauna, but no naughty Austrian nakedness. Their appartment accomodation is also very good value, and still offers all the above and all meals in the hotel if you want at a fraction of the cost of the hotel. Stayed in both.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy