Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking to buy first set of skis / Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Hope this is in the correct place,

Been browsing for a while now on this forum, but figure I’d join up and see if you guys can give me some help (seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult, your all pretty up to speed here)

Well right…

I’ve been skiing 5 times (Twice in Austria, Twice in Switzerland and one in France), Each time has been the usual rental job, so everything is pretty much chosen for you.

Well I’ve come to the conclusion it may be worth investing into my own equipment as I do plan to continue going when money is available.

Now I haven’t been for 2 years, so I really can’t re-call length, type … to be completely honest I can’t remember much about the ski selection process at all other then it being based on weight.

Unfortunately one other major factor is Budget. I’ve been looking around and seen K2 Silencers for £180 with Bindings, and Rossignol Exalt x80 boots for £170. And despite not remembering much about ski’s figure this is the sort of price range I’d like to stick with,

Here’s where you guys would be very helpful.

What would you recommend? And what length ski would I be looking into? My weight is 9 ½ stone (133lbs) so when researching myself the ideal length recommended based on my search was 150cm. does this seem correct?

Sorry for the story of my life before the question at hand, hopefully I’m not too far out of my depth joining up on these boards for advice.

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Height and what standard skier you think you are might help people give advice aswell

and welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're on a budget then I would suggest buy your boots now and save the skis for later.

As you might have gathered, your boots need to be the right size and shape for your feet. Trial and error is probably the expensive way to do this - no matter what the bargain. Best to visit a proper bootfitter who can work out which will be best for your feet. CEM is a member on here and is a bootfitter with a good reputation. He is not far from you in Bicester:

http://www.solutions4feet.com/

Alternatively, try Lockwoods in Leamington Spa:

http://www.lockwoods.com/

You could try Snow & Rock in Bristol but, IMHO, this is more of a lottery.

http://www.snowandrock.com/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 20-10-09 12:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
papasmurf wrote:
Height and what standard skier you think you are might help people give advice aswell

and welcome to snowHead

Ah yeah ..

Height 5,7

and experience wise... well... hard to say heh.

i've skiied Mont Fort in Verbier, 4 Valleys, Kirchbicl in Austria.

Can handle Black runs reasonably well. can off piste ski easily enough.

i'm past the 'snow plow' lets put it that way Razz
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Murr, as said above if budget is an issue gets the boots first. You may also factor in if it ris eally cost effective buying skis - for a week's skiing you also need to include in the cost of ski carriage if flying, and the cost of servicing, or buying equipment and learning to service yourself. Once you've factored these costs in it probably works out just as cheap to hire skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As written above, go and see a bootfitter and with their advice let the boots choose you rather than the other way round. Then spend the remaining budget on skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I heard a great comment recently in Brigham's, Milton Keynes.

A Woman was being fitted for boots by an assistant, and she was taking her time and asking lots of pertinant questions as the assistant basically proferred one boot after another in the hope that one would pass under the radar.

Woman, "So what would be the difference between buying them here and going to a boot fitter?"

EB, "Well not much really. The boots are exactly the same. If you went to a boot fitter you would probably get less choice of boots as they only have a set number which they stock, and you would get less time with the boot fitter themselves as they're normally on their own and working on lots of people at once..."

I just shook my head and walked away smiling - (strangely enough the Woman being fitted started to smile in a rather wry fashion at this point too...)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Murr, definitely look at getting boots first if the budget doesn't stretch to boots and skis. I'm sure you've gathered by reading around here that CEM is very much an expert in his field so would be the ideal place to go. If budget is a major factor, then be aware that you'll be paying for his services as well as the boots - if you can afford it, then it's definitely worth it. I've not done it myself, but will be doing so as soon as funds (and OH) allow.

If you really can't stretch to CEM's services (hoping that doesn't sound patronising as it's a factor for myself), then make sure you go to a good shop such as Bartlett's or Lockwoods. It may be a sweeping statement and in some cases unjustified, but I wouldn't go near EB or S&R.....

fr0sty, do you think she was a snowHead ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jon.L wrote:
Murr, definitely look at getting boots first if the budget doesn't stretch to boots and skis. I'm sure you've gathered by reading around here that CEM is very much an expert in his field so would be the ideal place to go. If budget is a major factor, then be aware that you'll be paying for his services as well as the boots - if you can afford it, then it's definitely worth it. I've not done it myself, but will be doing so as soon as funds (and OH) allow.

If you really can't stretch to CEM's services (hoping that doesn't sound patronising as it's a factor for myself), then make sure you go to a good shop such as Bartlett's or Lockwoods. It may be a sweeping statement and in some cases unjustified, but I wouldn't go near EB or S&R.....

fr0sty, do you think she was a snowHead ?

I am sure if you purchase boots from CEM then he throw's the fitting in for free. However, if you need footbeds or work on the shell then he would charge accordingly. But you would have to pay for that extra service anywhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
o11y, sorry, there is a consult charge on top of the boot price, there always has been, but then again you pay the mechanic for the parts and the labour
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Murr, just to contradict what others have said (there's lots of that goes on here) the OH and I recently bought new boots from EB (at Castleford). The bootfitter there seemed to know what he was about, and spent a LOT of time finding a shell which would fit my awkward feet, listening to how I said the boot felt, and even more time working with my wife's (also awkward) feet. By the time he had finished, we were losing the will to live! Suppose it depends on what time you go there, and how busy they are, as to the quality of service you get - I imagine this is in contrast to CEM, where you get an appointment, and his undivided attention til he's finished?

OK, they've hardly been used yet, but so far, both pairs of boots still fit well, work well and not a trace of discomfort. I'm happy Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you dont need to pay extra for boot fitting, if you've seven toes or an extra heel on one foot then maybe, otherwise not. As geoff10 said you can get perfectly adequate service at some of the bigger stores - try plenty of boots, get them to measure you - even ask for their best fitter as it's your first time or whatever, but you definitely do not need extra charges as an average punter, things are expensive enough. I'll go you one further and say once you've been through your first pair of boots (fitted by a decent mush at one of the big shops), then you may not ever have to have a fitting or step foot in a shop again, you're future/subsequent boots may well be acquired and fitted all by yourself (possibly - it doesnt work for everyone - before the boot police shoot me down!)!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and for skis, if you can get yourself along to one of the domes' test days (usually around this time of year??) it may help find the right pair for you as you can test ride a bunch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
o11y, sorry, there is a consult charge on top of the boot price, there always has been, but then again you pay the mechanic for the parts and the labour

CEM, it wasn't a criticism - I think anyone would happily pay premium price for premium service, I know I would. Just making the point that if funds are tight.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I actually had a very good experience with an EB bootfitter as well. I went to a careers fair at the NEC that just happened to be on at the same time as the ski & snowboard show Toofy Grin Dropped in to the show after the careers thing so it was quite late in the day and I was the only person at the EB stand- guy spent absolutely ages fitting my boots, and he only gave me 2 models to try on as he said they were the best shape for my feet. Have skiied in them for a couple of trips now and have been very happy.

Anyway I would agree with the general advice to go for boots first!
latest report
I'm another one that didn't pay extra for a bootfitting service. I bought mine at a small independent winter sports shop and the boot adviser spent about an hour with me, measuring my feet, recommending boots and then heat-adjusting both the liners and the shells of the chosen boots. I paid the price of the boots only, which were £80 off in the end of season sale! I now have boots which feel tight but definitely not painful.

However, the service I received is not comparable to the extensive boot adjustment services offered by CEM.

I can also recommend the demo sessions at UK indoor slopes. It really opened my eyes to how different skis can feel and what suits me and what doesn't. I've now drawn up a shortlist and am hopefully buying some secondhand skis from that list.

Bootfitting and ski demos seem to me to be the best ways of avoiding making expensive mistakes.
snow report
new ski addict wrote:
... and he only gave me 2 models to try on as he said they were the best shape for my feet.

And quite right too - sounds like you got a good one there!

Murr, if you go to a shop & the 'fitter' invites you to try on every available boot until you find one that you feel comfortable in, walk away... & remember, there is such a thing as false economy Toofy Grin I'd echo what's been said on here already - forget the skis for now, spend the money on well-fitted boots, & then see what you've got left over.

Oh, & welcome to snowHead !
ski holidays
Murr, incidentally, when it comes to skis, 150cm is way to short for what you're skiing. I'm a shade under 5'6" & around 8 1/2 stone, & I don't really feel comfortable on skis below 160cm - OK, 155cm for slalom skis might be reasonable, but it's not what I do, & it doesn't sounds like it's what you do either...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy