Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daughter needs some advice please

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is 18 & has decided that together with another girl She wants to take a year out before uni, they want to
work & are hoping to spent winter in a ski resort working in chalet & then summer in perhaps a beach or yachting resort.
We are talking about the 10/11 winter season. They have been looking at some cookery schools who claim to have a 100%
success rate in placing students in chalets but they seem pretty dear at around £800 for a week's course?
Can anyone suggest what route She should take & who to talk to etc. ?
Thanks in advance
snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Natives website should give her all the info she will need.

www.natives.co.uk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EXPERIENCE - get her waitressing, working in a kitchen/ hotel etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee, She's already doing that, working in Pub kitchen & waitressing, been doing about 6 hours a week for a year so far Smile
ssnowman, Will have a look at that Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that will help, but bear in mind it will probably be v tough next year unless the market picks up. TO's dont tend to take many 18yr olds as chalet hosts, they do take them as general hotel assistants though and smaller companies may take them too - good luck to her, she'll have a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alternatively she could work her butt off for the next 12 months and just go skiing for a season...without work...or get a bar job
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Work for a year then spend the entire season snowboarding/skiing like i will be in 6 weeks time Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not an option, she's at school- do keep up
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
provenjohn, A friends daughter did a fantastic course - I think it was supposed to be for a month, but they liked her & kept her for 6, helping other students & helping them run the place. Think it was in the Cotswlds somewhere. She then worked as a chef in La Ros last winter, with a company whose name escapes me at the moment. I can find out more details if you 're interested.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, have a look at Ballymaloe Cookery school in Ireland. I don't think it's cheap but I know quite a few girls who have been there and worked plenty since. Not sure if that reflects the norm for that school but they certainly enjoyed it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
provenjohn, the ain problem, asNadenoodlee, pointed out, is that most of the better chalet operators won't take 18 year olds. I know 22 year olds this year with cookery courses who failed to find work - the recession has hit!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
provenjohn, given her age and the current state of the resort job market, I would forget the cookery course as a waste of dosh better reserved for ski gear and cash to get through to first pay packet. The kitchen/waitressing experience is great, and if she can land some chambermaiding as well she will be very marketable indeed - it's a major project teaching 18-year-olds what constitutes 'clean', and probably the majority of complaints to TOs at least mention that 'the rooms were never cleaned' even if it's not the main problem.

With that kind of experience she should apply for clubhotel staff positions, but could also try for chalet assistant (ie helping the host but not being responsible for cooking). Some companies which run hotels are:

Skiworld
Skiplan
SkiBound
Total/Esprit
Neilson
Ski Olympic
Ski Val
Mark Warner
TUI (Crystal/Thomson)

Personally I'd start with Skiworld, SkiBound, Skiplan, Neilson. TUI and Total would be a last resort, and MW get very mixed feedback from staff. If she signs up for the forum on Natives she will find plenty of discussion regarding which jobs/resorts to go for and which employers people recommend.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She should register for snowHeads then she can do her own research! Kind of important for someone considering a year travelling the world Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi, Yes please, that would be of interest snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
18 is young but having done quite a few winters I see plenty of them that still get hired by the bigger TOs, TUI in particular seem OK with it. When I was 19 they gave me a 12 person chalet to look after by myself. Idiots started my addiction.

The cookery course might be overkill, esp at £800. All you need to know with cookery is a few basics and then how to follow a recipe.

Sounds like an awesome gap year to me...
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice so far Very Happy
She will be 19 by the 10/11 season, looks to me like the expensive cookery course might be a waste of money.
The Natives site certainly has a lot of info. snowHead
snow conditions
RELEVENT EXPERIENCE is the most important thing - as everyone has said.

When she's applying for work (maybe not with the bigger companies - this may just apply to us!!) make sure she sends her CV which should show an interest in skiing/snowboarding/winter sports/mountains...some sort of passion for the subject in hand! along with a covering letter about why she wants to do a season, what sort of resort she wants to work in (another decision she should make before applying) and what she hopes to get out of it.

I am pulling my hair out at the moment - hundreds of chalet job applications coming in from Season Workers, applying for a job where the job spec points to the fact that it's important to us that our staff are passionate about skiing, etc. and being in the mountains....and 90% of those applying mention NOTHING relevent at all - not in their interests or anything. THey could mention it even if they've never skied before "never tried but am desperate to learn...."blah, blah...

(and some people give me a kiss at the end of their email!). rolling eyes Me? or inappropriate when applying for a job???

XXXXX
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, Nah, its like totally appropriate.. I mean like... gis a job... that'd be wickid xxxxx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy