Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair and helmets!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts on this one.
I have a flight with Ryanair to Turin. Booked in a snowboard bag because it was free, and only taking hand luggage, so no baggage charges.
But. I am wondering about my helmet.
They will definitely charge me to take it on board the plane if I carry it on.
It wont fit in my board bag or my hand luggage ( a small rucksack ).
Do you think I'd get away with wearing it on the flight?
It's a bit cheeky I know but it is Ryanair after all. They have no qualms about sticking charges all over the place so how about a little payback.
What do you lot think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can get away with it. Security will probably have it down as an offensive weapon though! Wont go near Ryanair I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buckle it to the outside of your bag and if they complain put it on. most of the time they are 2 busy with the boarding cards to notice what sort of bag your carrying. when your in the Q you will have the rucksack on your back so they will not see the attached helmet until you are gone past
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm on the same deal to Turin as well, and realised that I'd have the same problem. I just thought that I'd put mine inside my fastened up coat, pretending to be a pregnant male Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find that they fit ok inside a bag and then stuff them with the other stuff. Anything left over just stuff your pockets and take a small plastic bag with lunch, toiletries, t shirt etc tied to it - if asked say you will have emptied it by the time you reach the aircraft.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryanair tried charging me £30 to take a bag of sandwiches on the plane that i bought in the airport because they have a strict 1 bag policy. My advice would be to get a big plastic bag and just before you get on the plane put your hand luggage and the helmet in it and see if they say anything! Well you'll only have one bag!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar, I'm with you. Ryanair has made such an issue of their incidental charges that they have become a joke, and I now stay away. Is saving a little money really worth all the hassle and effort? Easyjet, while they have their charges too, have at least made them predictable.

Once I tried three separate times to make a Ryanair reservation, and each time I when I put in my credit card, the system halted. I then shut my browser and booked on Easyjet, but little did I know that my 'relationship' with Ryanair was to continue. My credit card company contacted me the next day, saying they suspected fraudulent activity on my account - when in fact it was me trying to navigate their hopeless website.

I have found that the big benefit to Ryanair service has been to make the major airlines more affordable and competitive, and that is definitely a good thing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've worn a helmet through security without any trouble, as it took my hand baggage over the weight limit (they weighed the hand baggage when I checked in my hold bag...). I didn't wear it onto the plane though, as you can repack it beyond security.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So many helmet and hand luggage threads out there that I really don't want to make another, so thought I'd hijack this one instead. Has anybody any experince of helmets attached to hand luggage bag, flying with BA, and getting through security at Manchester and Heathrow? I'm flying out for the season and thinking my helmet will be better as hand luggage than packed in with all my kit in my hold bag.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stick your helmet up your jumper!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lol, might be easier said than done as I can see me turning up at check in looking like michelin man!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely it would be easy enough to find a small backpack that a helmet would fit inside? A helmet goes in both mine. Stuffed with stuff, it doesn't take up much room.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If they question you tell them you have a fear of flying, and that wearing the helmet helps you cope with it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear it!

If you are asked about it just tell them that you are a member of a religious order and your headwear is part of your regalia. If security ask you to remove it, they must offer a suitable place to do so, out of the pupil eye.

Is this thread going to turn into 101 ways to get yer helmet through security? wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pam, I have got a backpack that I can only just manage to squeeze the helmet in to, but was rather hoping to use the space for heavier items that would otherwise go in the hold bag (eg shoes) to try and cut down the weight. Guess I won't reallly know until I get round to packing properly!
snow conditions
I don't have a helmet (yet) to check, but isn't its narrowest dimension to big for the Ryanair hand-luggage narrowest dimension?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy