Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Skins, any opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy skins. looking for 130mm cut to size mixed mohair synthetic. Anyone used any of the models below? Any tips welcome positive or negative?

In particular the first 2 which I have not found much information.
Kohla Cobra (Considerably the cheapest)
Col-tex camlock fleximix (Most expensive)
G3 alpinist

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RPF, I have a couple of pairs of Col-tex camlock fleximix, never had any problems with them, and I use them tail-less.

Managed to pick up one pair fairly cheaply (£80-90 for 120mm width) towards the end of last season, facewest have them for about £130 at the moment Shocked

Are you sizing them by the tip and tail widths of your skis or underfoot, 130mm seems very wide...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/blog/index/view/slug/consumer-question-what-kind-of-skins-should-i-buy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The glue on the new Col-tex is the best on the market. Amazing hold on the ski, no effort to remove it after a skin - unlike some skins which have nasty glue which welds it to your skis and can leave a nasty residue after.

Don't stick the skins back on themselves though as you will need to replace it, always use the plastic provided.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking after your skins *really* helps improve the performance....

- dry the skins out after every use
- try hard to keep dirt & pine cones off the bottom
- reglue the sticky side regularly (every 25 days or so). when its cold the glue will be waaaay less sticky than at room temp!
- keep the mohair side well waxed, so that wet snow won't ball up under your skis
- try to keep your skins warm / next to your body on very cold days

Top tip, that I learnt the hard way - carry a 50ml glue tube and a small candle (for rewaxing the bases) wink

I have always bought Montanna skins - mainly because I get a good deal on them.
However they do have a really neat 'sock system' for storing the skins in your pack.
Which I find way better than the backing paper system, or folding the skin back onto itself - especially when its windy.

EDIT : Removing old glue from skins is a proper bitch of a job by the way... Really messy and also poisonous.
From my own experience best to get a shop to do this properly for you! Though I have am not sure if any UK shops actually do this anymore!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-10-09 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, do you need to wax brand new skins?? I have some BD Ascension Nylon skins sat in the box which I will be using this season...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
Haggis_Trap, do you need to wax brand new skins?? I have some BD Ascension Nylon skins sat in the box which I will be using this season...

I wouldnt think so... (but I am no expert)

But if they are anything like my Montannas then they will lose waterproof-ness with time & use.
Which can cause wet snow to ball up underneath the skin Mad

You can fix this by reapplying wax to the mohair side (or rubbing with a candle in the short term).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have had BD, Pomoca and Colltex skins. Agree with Parlor that Colltex are the best. Pomoca were the worst (but not terrible). BD are decent and are easier to get deals on
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
I have been using the BD glidelite mohair mix and have no problems with them, the mesh cheatsheets are also superb.
Rewaxing or de-glooping just needs to be done as and when you start getting snow sticking to the skin.
I agree about always taking tube or tub of glue with you.
Cheers
Mark
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the quick responses snowHead
philw, I'm sizing based on the tips, and cutting to fit. They will be going on 187 High Society Freerides 136/104/126
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RPF, I know that BD article says to size with the tips but I find that you end up wasting so much material.....and as you get most of the grip beneath your binding it doesn't matter so much towards the tips and tails....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RPF, 100mm would be OK at a push and possibly some modifications (ok they probably aren't OK unless you are a tightar5e like me who likes cutting up skins); 110 or 120 fine, 130 OK but you really do not need to go that wide
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ As Arno / philw say.

Match the skin to the width under foot.
136/104/126 is near identical dimension to a K2 Coomba (102mm).
I just bought a 100mm off shelf skin in correct length - and didnt even trim it. Works perfectly.
Big skis have way more surface area / grip - so the fit doesnt have to ultra tight, especially at the tips & tails.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use the Col-tex camlock skins on my Preachers. I'm no touring expert by any means, but they seem to work pretty well to me. They don't cover anywhere near the whole width of the ski at the tip, but more importantly, they fit over the tip and stay on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have never heard of re-waxing skins. Mine are, I believe, some sort of man-made fibre from Coltex from about five years back. What sort of waxing is recommended? Are there any information sites discussing this topic?
snow conditions
Adrian, not sure if rewaxing is the right term or not but you re-waterproof the pile side of the skin to stop snow sticking to it
latest report
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=70&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

or

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/glop-stopper-wax
snow report
went for the Coltex in 120 mm.
Thanks for the reccomendations and sizing advice. Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy