Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Telluride, CO.?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads. This is our first post here, so hope we're sticking to the rules!
We're trying to plan a trip to Colorado, and from the few reviews/reports out there, Telluride sounds a great resort. Anyone got any views? Did do a search on the site but couldn't find anything.

We are an intermediate boarder and an expert skier who is venturing into the (better!) world of snowboarding!

Likes: well groomed wide pistes, quiet slopes, no lift queues
Dislikes: ungroomed pistes, narrow tracks, flats.

Need quite a variety of slopes for the range of skiing and boarding we will be doing. We liked Whistler for the variety of slopes on offer, but hated the crowds.

Its a bit of a trek to get there so we're trying to get an idea if its worth the trek. It sounds absolutely beautiful - but there's more to skiing than the views!!!!! wink We're not at all bothered about apres - these days, apres is a good sleep!
Any info or thoughts would be welcome.
We are also considering Winter Park or Steamboat but have read that WP is very very mogully and Steamboat has a lot of congestion on some unavoidable runs. Any thoughts on these 2 also welcome.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
natandrhi, Welcome to Snowheads, never skiied across the pond personally but hopefully someone will be along in a mo to advise.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Telluride has a good reputation. Never been, and there are lots of Colorado resorts with easier international access but if that doesn't put you off I'd say fill your boots. Added benefit for experts is that you are near Silverton. I'd be surprised if said access meant overcrowding was an issue.

Edit scractch that - saw your likes are groomed pistes only. Why go to US? What constitutes variety? 1 groomer is pretty much like another. Try Breckenridge?Keystone/ Vail/ Beaver Creek in a quiet week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep about 20 times since 1987. Its a fantastic place but there have been alot of changed over the years. The original ski bum hippys have gone & been replaced with pseudo rich hiippy kids from the big citys. PM me.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1149312&highlight=lost+people+mountain+village#1149312
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your going out of school holidays then I'd say you'd get all of that in Europe, one of the large resorts would give you the well groomed wide pistes, ie Courchevel, Tignes, Lech etc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton,
I'd PM if I could..............??? Lost people vid very funny! Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need to remember that most North American resorts offer only a tiny area of groomed skiing compared with the larger European resorts. I've never been to Telluride, but I've given it serious consideration in the past and I guess you'll be mighty familiar with those pistes by the end of your trip. That might not be a problem for you but it's best that you're warned.

Like others, I wonder why you'd travel so far for groomers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also remember whistler is THE LARGEST resort in all of North America. Telludide is quite a bit smaller. So I'm not sure it will fit your requirement of "variety of slopes on offer".

Another option is Aspen. It's rarely crowded. And has a good wide variety of runs. A good bit of its "un-groomed" terrains are gentle snowfields and can be enjoyed by intermediates with little off-piste experience.

It's on the expensive side. But so is Telluride.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
natandrhi, Telluride is now top of my US to do list (going to Utah this March - been to Colorado and JH and Canada a fair amount) but Telluride appears to be a bitch to get to... How have you organised your flights?

As Jonny Jones says - if I wanted groomers - I might go elsewhere
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, We havent booked our flights. We have been told that United Airlines is one of the cheapest options but it is multi-stop. Apparently BA is the only one which does direct flights to Denver. We could manage one change (we did it for Park City - Cincinatti to Salt Lake City) but the thought of 2 changes is a bit off putting. One of the things that Colorado has that Europe might not is more of the champagne powder. Lots of food for thought though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
natandrhi, I ski in the US/Canada every year and love it.

I spent sometime trying to see good connections through to T-ride. Normally I try and avoid DIA (limited direct flights in) and ORD (baggage delays and immigration delays). I usually try and go through Dallas (nice airport with few weather problems) - but could not see any options with just one change - or no extra night on the way out. A problem - partly because we will be dragging an 8 year old and a 13 year old with us.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It can be done You have to connect into Montrose. Then either overnight there in a cheap Hotel (save on T-Ride prices) get a taxi in the morning or get a shuttle taxi up when you arrive (not recommended). I done the former may times.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
natandrhi, I also ski in North America almost every year and I also love it so I didn't mean to discourage you with my earlier comments. If you like quiet North American groomers, you might want to look at Big Sky one year - it's a huge resort that's not far off Whistler in terms of skiable area but it has almost no skiers and endless, completely deserted trails. Unfortunately there's a reason it's so quiet: like Telluride, it's seriously tricky to get to.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
natandrhi, I really wouldn't want to limit myself to only Telluride/Whitewater. If you want Colorado and less faffing and much, much more to choose from why not head to Summit Country - stay in Frisco, Dillon, Breck, Silverthorne etc., and then you've got a choice of skiing Breckenridge, Keystone, A-basin, Vail, Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek all within a 30 minute drive. It's only an hour from Denver up to Summit county and all those resorts are within a 30 minute drive and most are available by the free bus or you can get a bus to come and pick you up for the others if you don't want to rent a car.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I posted this last year. One of the best Ski Promos ever made IMO

http://youtube.com/v/b9aIv7HeLPU

Take a drive into town

http://youtube.com/v/7lRWLPsIR-4

They do this control Avalanche a few times during the season quite nice to see.

http://youtube.com/v/r7ZD66EaAF4
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
natandrhi, I really wouldn't want to limit myself to only Telluride/Whitewater. If you want Colorado and less faffing and much, much more to choose from why not head to Summit Country - stay in Frisco, Dillon, Breck, Silverthorne etc., and then you've got a choice of skiing Breckenridge, Keystone, A-basin, Vail, Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek all within a 30 minute drive. It's only an hour from Denver up to Summit county and all those resorts are within a 30 minute drive and most are available by the free bus or you can get a bus to come and pick you up for the others if you don't want to rent a car.

If the OP found Whistler too crowded, I'm not sure Summit county is any better.
snow report
Was at Telluride for the first time 2 years ago and loved it. We flew ORD direct to Montrose via UA - however American, Continental and Delta all fly - or at least they did. We did go during a school holiday (Presidents Day) and it was fairly crowded - as would/will be any ski resort.

We skied 5 days - however was looking for a little more towards the 4th day. Great kids ski school, our 4 yr old had 2 fabulous instructors!
We also like Vail/Beaver Creek area & Whistler. However depending on when you are going, you may want to stay clear of Whistler in February.

We have not been to WP, however my sister & family were there last year, and it is definitely not on the list for a return visit. Very crowded, and they didn't like the layout of town vs. ski resort.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, don't fret, you haven't put us off at all!! Agree with your comments about travelling so far for groomed runs, but we find the North American resorts are more welcoming and enjoyable than any European resort we've been to, end just seem to enjoy the whole holiday more for some reason (thats not to say we don't enjoy skiing Europe! Not intending to start a debate here!! Shocked )
Well we have decided that we are definitely going to go to Telluride but for a couple of reasons, can't commit the time needed for the extra bit of travelling this season, so its going to be 2011, unless we win the lotto! Now we've just got to decide on which Colorado resort it'll be this season............... Puzzled Beaver Creek, Steamboat, Copper Mountain and Winter Park are in the mix. Will let you know once a decision is finally made!
snow report
The point of interest to me is before one can reach Telluride Co. from say the Denver Airport one needs to pass some 10 skiing resorts with a combined total of in excess of 26,000 sq acres of skiing areas to get to a small area with 17 chairlifts and 2000 acres of skiing area of Telluride.

Is this because Telluride is better than the 10 nearer resorts (including Snowmass of Aspen) combined? or is it with no crowd because it is so difficult to get to and TO can offer a cheap deal?

Just what is the correct correct perspective, presumably the highest and the oldest (Arapahoe Basin), biggest (Vail) and the most exclusive (Aspen) are only good for the second choices?

The Colorado skiing resorts site labeled Telluride

Quote:
Telluride – No Crowds. No Lift Lines. No Hassles. Experience unbelievable scenery and terrain, luxury lodging and spas, and laid-back locals in this one-of-a-kind mountain town.

So the deal is go to somewhere inaccessible or furthermost to avoid the crowd?
latest report
saikee wrote:
Quote:
Telluride – No Crowds. No Lift Lines. No Hassles. Experience unbelievable scenery and terrain, luxury lodging and spas, and laid-back locals in this one-of-a-kind mountain town.

So the deal is go to somewhere inaccessible or furthermost to avoid the crowd?

saikee, you have an amazing ability to overlook the obvious!

But I suppose if none of it appeals to you, it won't catch your eyes (both in word or in reality).

Vail maybe big. But it's a big repeat of the same terrain over and over again. So people tend to love it or find it boring, rarely in between. Aspen maybe just as good, but it's also equally difficult get to. And BTW, you don't "go by" Aspen or Vail to get to Telleride. Only if you WANT TO.

I won't even bother to comment on A-basin. I totally fail to see any relavent between elevation and good skiing in the continent of N. America. Being the highest may appeal to the Euro's as one of the "est" on the list. So I'm sure they'll take your money gladly. That's all I care to say.

I'll put it bluntly. If all you want is a good skiing holiday, any of the Colorado resort will give you that. But if you NEED to "check off the list" of famous resorts for bragging purpose, missing Telleride will seriously dull the shine of your list! Wink
ski holidays
abc,

Each word has its own meaning to each skier. Some find a resort with a big lake like Are, Blaff or St Moritz stunning when there is a big piece of frozen flat ground within one's view. Some might like a high bit of rock like the Matterhorn in Zermatt or skiing around it in Sella Ronda. In Niseko of Japan the snow cap mountain at a distance can possibly be rated as an unbelievable scenery too.

The terrain is even more difficult to please the skier because the expert may prefer something others regard as dangerous. Thus La Grave would probably attract as much experts as Vallee Blanc. I notice one of the attractions the American skiers after is to jump over certain height but that is hardly pursued by the European. Beginners, intermediates and experts all have their own choice of terrains so the word "unbelievable" can not be universal to every skier. However a mountain range is a mountain range and a skier can only enjoy it if there are plenty chairlifts and gondolas to assist the access.

I am not trying to shoot down Telluride but just wonder what exactly are its attractions.
snow report
saikee wrote:

Each word has its own meaning to each skier. Some find a resort with a big lake like Are, Blaff or St Moritz stunning when there is a big piece of frozen flat ground within one's view. Some might like a high bit of rock like the Matterhorn in Zermatt or skiing around it in Sella Ronda. In Niseko of Japan the snow cap mountain at a distance can possibly be rated as an unbelievable scenery too.
I am not trying to shoot down Telluride but just wonder what exactly are its attractions.

That's something you're dealing with on the internet: words! Reading "between the lines" is part of the art.

It's not difficult to check out the "scenary" by going to their website and check out some photos. Or do a search of trip reports of the resort.

I'll say it again. You seem only interested in number of lifts and pistes. You've already got the "numbers" at the start of the thread. If it's not to your liking, move on. There's no point in asking over and over again what's the attraction, when the "attraction" that makes the resort unique and above all else for some others simply doesn't appeal to you.

There're those who think Grand Canyon is just one big hole on the earth, or the Matterhorn just one big peice of rock etc...
latest report
There going to have a nice Thanksgiving Opening after this dump Very Happy

http://blog.tellurideskiresort.com/blogs/davesblog/default.aspx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy