Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does no-one argue about technique any more?

Poster: A snowHead
BZK seems to have gone to the dogs. The best debate had recently has been over sick pay policies.

So:

Sometimes you've just got to forget all the things you've learnt and see what just skiing feels like.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cant argue with that Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, couldn't agree more.

To be honest I find most of the technique discussions very dull, and so complex they become completely irrelevant to teaching or learning skiing. Remember KISS!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually ignore the technique discussions as I don't understand the terminology and it seems irrelevant to me to the actual process of getting down a mountain. One thing I have noticed is that 'technique' seems to vary wildly between skiers. That would suggest to me that there is no hard and fast rule.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that 'technique' seems to vary wildly between skiers. That would suggest to me that there is no hard and fast rule.

If you look closely you'll see that good skiers have a wide range of ski technique in common with each other, and that weaker skiers often exhibit the same problems which prevents them from making progress with their skiing. That suggests to me that there are some fundamental techniques in skiing which, if mastered, allow you to ski any terrain, in whatever way you want, in any snow conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, what rob@rar, says! You will often hear instructors talk about having a "toolbag" of techniques to use in different situations and conditions.

You will see many skiers on the piste who may appear to ski very "skillfully", but are not necessarily using techniques that are versatile, and in certain types of snow and conditions they will come unstuck.

The technique debates on here tend to get overly technical and (no offence to those who join in!) are only really of interest or use to "technical geeks" who already ski at a very high level. They contracdict each other and will never reach an agreed conclusion! Just confusing to someone who wants to learn, so a real lesson with a great teacher will be of more use to you than they ever will.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I disagree with all of you Mad

(this is supposed to be an argument, remember?) wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you buy the five minute argument or did you pay for the full half hour?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have noticed that a lot of people get very involved in the overly technical Equipment chat but not the technique chat!

Is this just a bias for people who chat on the internet and use computers or is it (i suspect, in the nicest possible way) something we Brits are very keen to go for.... all the gear no idea stance? Living in Austria I was stunned by the lack of people using high end race kit in every day usage, few people use moulded footbeds, maoe than two pairs in the quiver is deemed to be overkill... yet in snow and rock I can still buy a pair of Race Department SuperG skis and full-on race wax?????

Maybe in order to make the technique section more relevant, postings of video links would make the feedback much more helpful and interesting?

thoughts?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.s. Massive annoyance there....

Don't buy ridiculously expensive race skis if you can't use them! They are dangerous to ski, can mess up your knees and, when punters buy the whole UK stock, people who actually need them can't get hold of them without paying the same silly prices Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, no-one has quite recovered from the excessive inner tip lead thread
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara, can't you get hold of some through the BASI offer? Salomon, Atomic, Rossi, Stockli all have some good deals on FIS spec kit.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, Ok yup that was pretty mental I suppose there might be some technical type people here though i would also be terrified that might happen again!

rob@rar, BASI offers dont like me, you need some "international" instructor number that the Austrians dont use. But its fine i have other ways wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, no one who actually needs race skis is going to go and pay slush and rubble prices, surely?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara, Don't you get hooked up with race shizzle thru your Austrian Ski Schule? Or is it generally just the penguin costume wink
snow report
fatbob, Can get some Head racy stuff from the Osterreichers but its cheaper to buy from the Factory..... and we're back on equipment again!!!!

Fine, a technique question, does anyone here ski with their feet close together for extra angle and agility or is it still safety first at hip width and a nice big platform? I would put a video up but im at work and dont have one
snow report
dulcamara wrote:
Fine, a technique question, does anyone here ski with their feet close together for extra angle and agility or is it still safety first at hip width and a nice big platform? I would put a video up but im at work and dont have one

It depends on what you're doing. Both options will be appropriate from time to time, so best to learn to ski with a narrow and with a wide stance.

BTW, does skiing with a narrow stance give you the option for more angle? I though it was the opposite case.
ski holidays
OK - I've thought of something.. I'll start a thread Cool
latest report
dulcamara,
Quote:

does anyone here ski with their feet close together for extra angle and agility or is it still safety first at hip width and a nice big platform?

what Rob says ^^^
snow report
check out the technique of these guys

http://youtube.com/v/mSEmYkirBoE
snow report
narrow stance gives you more angle on the inside ski, but I reckon you need more weight on that ski as well in order to match the radius of the outside ski... result, lots of falling in. Still some of the fastest guys on the world cup slopes seem to like it for slalom at the moment I would like to know if its worth looking at for us mere mortals or is it akin to the american lean back for speed and terror technique
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
narrow stance gives you more angle on the inside ski...

But less on the outside ski because it is blocked by the narrow stance?
latest report
davidof wrote:
check out the technique of these guys

http://youtube.com/v/mSEmYkirBoE

To misquote Buzz Lightyear, is that skiing or falling with style? Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, I have been informed that by pulling back the inside ski you can give the inside ski the same radius thereby eliminating the blocking.

I am still dubious, supposed to be having a drink with mr Brown tonight to discuss, will report back.
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
rob@rar, I have been informed that by pulling back the inside ski you can give the inside ski the same radius thereby eliminating the blocking.

I am still dubious, supposed to be having a drink with mr Brown tonight to discuss, will report back.

I might be there this evening so will join in that conversation.
latest report
dulcamara, Who do you see doing this on the World Cup ?
snow report
in slalom, both the french lads seem to a bit and Rocca is a pretty good example, Austrians not so much. I like the idea of wide between turns naturally coming together during and back out to wide. But I respect Phils race knowledge and am intruiged to discuss it further.
snow conditions
dulcamara, if you aren't skiing with your feet together in bumps you aren't doing it properly. That said, I'm not entirely sure what adjustments I'll have to make now I've bought fat-ish skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
That said, I'm not entirely sure what adjustments I'll have to make now I've bought fat-ish skis.

Shocked
snow report
rob@rar, that is feckin scary
ski holidays
davidof,

I'd say he rushes into the turn.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Does no-one argue about technique any more?

Not since inner tip lead.....
ski holidays
rob@rar, beanie1, fair points. I guess I'm not technique-orientated enough to recognise any of this. And I have no idea at all what 'inner tip lead' is. Please don't answer, I don't want to start that particular avalanche again... Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, did you miss that thread. Oh yes, indeed. see www.ripnwud.com A pair of 188cm FRC Addiction (Pro model). An offer and price I couldn't refuse. We've been looking for something for big h.p. days. Hopefully these'll do the trick.

But you still don't get much more all round than Nordica Puppydog SL-Rs.
ski holidays
under a new name, you're a big sell-out! Wink
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
The technique debates on here tend to get overly technical and (no offence to those who join in!) are only really of interest or use to "technical geeks" who already ski at a very high level.

And some technical geeks who don't. Embarassed
snow conditions
rob@rar, They're still 188cms and I'm still a 170 cm lightweight...not that much of a sell out!

Thankfully, Her ladyship has a slightly different top surface and graphics on hers otherwise it would be all too horribley his'n'hers (we already have matching skis, boots, soft shells, attitude, etc.) Her hair's a wee bit longer.
latest report
JT wrote:
davidof,

I'd say he rushes into the turn.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I would too. I think the snow was so manky that it really wasn't worth them bothering.
snow report
davidof, agree entirely...

It was a little joke.. I have worked out that all my turns start too quickly as I have wanted/needed to get them across the fall-line asap...and this has now become a default issue everywhere else, almost.

I guess the 'tick off' was just as important as the conditions... so they went ahead anyway.
snow report
rob@rar, Quick question about the angles thing.
Surely if your feet are closer together laterally you can get higher angles on both skis .
this assumes that you have vertical separation ,i.e inside leg flexed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy