Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes, Autumn interseason & winter 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
easiski, that looks positively enjoyable now Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andytb, Getting to it was much harder than when you did it, but the leap itself was easier today. Big, big avalanche right down the valley leading up to it and also at the bottom. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely Friday, La Grave. Report later. Grey this morning and much warmer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
first of all I'd like to report that all the 'cautious to confident' bunch have arrived safely and on time! right now I think they've all eaten, drunk a bit and been merry too! well - up to a point! Laughing

yesterday at la grave was really nice. First thing int he morning I was up on our glacier and then skied down the the Cretes. Excellent snow throughout there. The Cretes was getting soggy at 11.30 and skiing down was very easy in the soft snow. We set off for LG at about 13.20 or so with Pollyperks, DavidAsh,Aztec & Mr Aztec all in the Easimobile. Very Happy

It was a bit breezy at the top at LG, and I've never seen so many people skiing over there as there were. Of course it's not busy in LDA terms, but still ... more than 2 other groups crossing us during the descent Shocked The snow at the top was really nice and the lee slopes had excellent packed powder on them. The bottom part of the run was soft and bumpy but really not that hard to ski. Very Happy The path up tot he car park on the other hand was hideous - mud on ice! Oh well - it couldnt all be good. Little Angel

Pix from the mid station at 2,400m; the gang ready to go; and a stunning view Very Happy
Sorry about the quality but I had to use the phone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vile day today. Heavy rain int he morning and although it cleared mostly later, it did continue to rain intermittently all day. Sad the snow, of course, got heavier and heavier throughout the day, until it was really hard work by 16.00. rolling eyes Hopefully it will have to improve later in the week. progress report on the Cautious to Confirdent thread.

Avalanches all over - huge ones, mostly provoked but not all I think. Huge rumbles and half the mountainside is now naked! Shocked Look at the pic of the SW facing wall of the Fee (bigger pic on my blog at www.easiski.com/blog1 )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today was an odd sort of day. It started dull but relatively clear and the fog then rolled up the mountainside fromt he valley and ... stayed. Mad At some times it was foggy all the way to the top and at other times it was clearer in patches, however wherever we went it became foggy the minute we got there! rolling eyes The snow on the Cretes was truly awful by mid-morning, although there was still good snow above 2,600m. It's been warm and not at all windy which is a blessing. We're looking forward to better weather tomorrow. Very Happy

The excitement of the day (if you can call it that) was that all the walls of snow started to avalanche all over the various pistes so they closed lots of the mountain including the way down from the Bellecombe lift to the Cretes. this caused serious confusion and congestion at 16.00 when hoards of skiers were trying to get down the mountain. Shocked We managed to continue however, finally getting off the mountain with Richard E, Mrs Sack the Juggler and their friend Mark at 18.00. I started at 09.00 this morning. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Pic looking down the Valentin from the top at close to 6 in one clear moment. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beautiful day today, warm (+18 outside my place in the late afternoon) and sunny all day. We stayed on the glacier all day and the snow up there was fabulous! Very Happy Lovely winter packed powder, softening a little on the pistes in the afternoon. The Echines was prticularly good, with a little dusting of powder and some really nice turns were possible far (well not very) from the madding crowd. Very Happy

Pix show work still going on to rebuild the Muretouse T bar for the summer, and looking down the Echines des Chevres from about 1/3 of the way down the easier pitch.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice photos easiski & I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread for the next 10 days as our annual roll-of-the-dice late Easter TO bargain catered chalet booking threw up L2A this time for this year's group of five. Quite happy about that as my bro and me had a great time 4 years ago and got days in at SC & ADH too.

Are you around the w/c Saturday 3rd April ? Are you for hire at all that week ? It would be good to meet for a blather before you come up to Scotland if you're unavailable for some guiding. snowHead

Anyway, assuming there's a cool down and consolidation, have you any recommendations for someone (if you can't do it) who can lead 3 solid skiers through Vallons de Meije and perhaps down one of the easier couloirs (Banane etc) so as we can kid the other two that we're really gnarly. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, thanks, I am around but am very busy that week. The only time I have is late afternoons in mid-week Sad , however I'd love to meet up for a chat and a coffee. My mobile number is on the website at the bottom of every page, so give me a bell.

WRT LG, your best bet would be to go to Ski Extreme and talk to Jutta who's in the know with the ESF guys who will go there during the week. Also look up Damien Albert from the www.les2alpes.com website who might be able to help. Very Happy It's a busy week, so you may have to go with a group.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, great, I look forward to it & thanks for the suggestions. I'll write down details before I go. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been very sunny for most of the day today, but there was definitely a bit more wind on the glacier, and this mounted during the day. By the mid-late afternoon it was feeling positively chilly. Shocked The snow on the glacier runs and especially on the Echines was great, and it was pretty good most of the way down to 2,600m. By late in the day though the moguls on the bottom of the Breche were getting to be crispy slush and weren't as big as I thought which was disappointing. Sad
Not to be deterred, we skied down to the Belle Etoile which is next to the Valentin and always left bumpy. Those bumps were great! Big, soft snow and quite well spaced. Ideal for learning on. Very Happy
We're expecting more wind tomorrow, although not necessarily bad weather un til Friday, but the clouds were gathering to the SW later today.
I went up to the summit of the Lauze with a group this morning and here are pix of the 'liaison' with La Grave, and the view towards Mont Blanc (just visible in the distance).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blush Mr Aztec and I arrived home safely yesterday afternoon. It was a little doubtful that we would make our flight as leaving the usual amount of time to get to Geneva airport was simply not enough when faced with the security queues at the airport. They were the worst that I have ever seen and caused Mr Aztec to almost have a heart attack! Mad My calming influence won the day as we made our excuses and 'pushed ' to the front of the queue, got to the departure gate and even had time for our routine last drink ! Razz
We had a fab time once again and I would like to thank easiski for taking us to La Grave for our 3rd time! It never ever disappoints. Its the most wonderful natural ski experience that I have ever had and photographs just do not tell the full picture. Please....do yourselves a favour and try and go whenever you are out in 2Alpes.You will love it. We wouldn't go without a guide as it has been so so different each time. easiski, is just the best for the safe and pretty route down.
As for Mr Aztec, well......having had his left hip replaced on 23rd November 2009, he skied like a demon! The new hip gave him no problems at all and we managed Hidden Valley, all of the above that easiski has mentioned as well as the pisted runs.
One to note also.... wink On the advice of easiski mid week we visited Alpe Du Grande Serre. If you have a 6 day 2Alpe pass you are good to access the small resort. We went which is probably best. It was delightful snowHead Very pretty with the best viewpoints I have come across in the region. It has 5 green, 16 blue, 10 red and 1 black run. The off piste looks like it will be good when they have more snow ( easiski confirmed this for me) It was in need of some snow but a visit was well worth it. The beer was cheap too says Mr AztecToofy Grin
My next visit to 2Alpes is December with my girlfriends......8 months and counting down Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 27-03-10 10:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ANDYTB loved the trip report however wishes to slag you for constant self reference in the third person Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andytb, you live and learn... thanks for the advice... Report ammended!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aztec, glad you got home safely. The Perry's are now happily in your apartment. Very Happy

andytb, Laughing Laughing NehNeh

Friday was a really odd day, as we had pouring rain to mid-morning, pouring snow to just after lunch (about 5" or so) and then glorious sunshine for the rest of the afternoon. This, of course included skiing real powder. Very Happy Very Happy Unfortunately the mountain was only open to the mid station of the 8 man chair and the top of Lac Noir, so the whole area got tracked out within about 2 hours. Shocked rolling eyes We did manage to find some little spots (more a question of 3-4 turns) though, and it was nice. The pic is looking across the snowpark to 2,600 from the top of the half pipe. I seem to have lost my 'post pic' button ... If I have time I'll upload to snowmediazone, but otherwise it's on my blog at www.easiski.com/blog1

Today (Sunday) was pretty vile on the whole. We've had lots of snow in between, but it's been of the very heavy, windblown, glue variety. Sad One of the hot shot boys lost a ski in it this morning (fortunately it was found), and the piste quickly became that horrible, shiny sort of new snow with nasty little grooves in it. Sad However the Valentin was quite nice at aroun 16.00 and not too many peeps around either. Very Happy No photo for today as it wasn't worth it, but I'll try tomorrow. I'm afraid the quality won't be great as I'll probably use the phone because I can't get the computer to 'see' the camera at the moment. Sad
snow report
easiski, not the same Perry's who are coming to Chalet Chamoissiere next week?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I doubt it. They come neaerly every year at easter. Kids now 13 and 15. Started with me when they were 5 & 7!

got the camera upload working for pix Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
got the camera upload working for pix Very Happy
Phew! I was worrying we might be denied our regular fix of pics! Thanks for a fab week - initially I was fearful of the weather conditions but now realise that it probably did me a favour, providing opportunities to learn to cope with varying conditions. Friday for example gave me the chance to ski in deeper fresh snow - the last time I tried it was a disaster. I tried to hide how nervous I was at first but falling over on one of the first turns was a bit of a give away Embarassed. However the confidence really did start to grow and by the end of the lesson I was thoroughly enjoying it snowHead

FionaN (my sis) enjoyed herself immensely and is hoping to find the funds to bring the family next time Very Happy. I am still trying to get her to post, but that may take a while - perhaps I'll recruit some help from her kids!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:

Pix .........looking down the Echines des Chevres from about 1/3 of the way down the easier pitch.

It was great fun skiing down there in the sunshine but what do you mean 'the easier pitch'??? It was almost vertical!! Toofy Grin
latest report
Red Leon, Just be thankful I didn't take you down the far side by the rocks - that is steep! Laughing Laughing

Today was actually pretty nice, although there was wind at altitude. It was warm on the whole and the sun shone most of the day, although there were a number of clouds around. The snow was fine, but below the Cretes it did get very gluey late int he afternoon. I was hoping for more watery than sticky - oh well!

Combe du Thuit was very nice at lunchtime (both parts) and so was l'Y at around 11.00 this morning. Very Happy

I've PM'd Admin about the post pic button which still isn't there, so you can go to my blog (www.easiski.com/blog1)to see the pic of today
snow report
easiski wrote:
Red Leon, Just be thankful I didn't take you down the far side by the rocks - that is steep! Laughing Laughing

You did point it out at the time but it's a measure of the confidence you instil in your charges (me, anyway) that I'm sure we would have coped admirably had you chosen the 'steep' bit. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Red Leon, I wouldn't have dared - it scares me!

Today was soooo wierd! Shocked Rain, then heavy snow + blizzard conditions on the Cretes, eventually more rain in the village and then more snow. rolling eyes

First thing it was really quite icy on the Cretes and all around there. I have decided that the Zags must me dead - I was unable to get any sort of grip regardless of what I did, or what position I adopted. Sad It was unpleasantly windy at this point and nothing was running above this level ... then we got thick fog! When we started with the 12.00 group, just as we got on the Petit Cretes chair it became a gale with major horizontal snow - ugh! We beat a retreat down the Belle Etoile chairlift to the village. This, I should add, was with very competent skiers. rolling eyes

Once down it was much better so we skied Mont de Lans (in photo) and then down the Cote which is the link run between the two sides. We did find some really nice snow around here, although soft and slushy and here the Zags were quite happy. Very Happy After this we returned to the centre of the village and home to hot baths. Most of us were pretty wet by then.

I got home in 4" snow on the road at 15.00, and when I went back out at 17.00 there was none! Shocked At 18.00 and thereafter it was snowing heavily again. Will wait and see for tomorrow.
ski holidays
It snowed nearly all day today, but the wind had dropped and the snow was of the dry variety so it was a much better day. Very Happy Fresh snow all over, although very heavy and windcrusted in some places - lots of fun watching peeps fall over in it while going up chairlifts. Laughing Laughing While the sun did nearly come out for about an hour in the afternoon, and did actually come out as soon as skiing was over, for the most part the visibility was pretty poor. Sad Toura level, Cretes and Combe du Thuit area were all good today, although the Diable had some quite large icy patches.
Pic shows the viz in the Combe du Thuit at lunchtime!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
easiski, eew! Sounds even worse than last week rolling eyes.
latest report
heavy snow overnight - eek! I've got skis and boots here and need to get the van out. Shocked I haven't heard the snowplough, so I gues I have to walk all the way. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Totally awesome day today! Powder everywhere, light and fluffy! Very Happy 'there was about 10-20 cms onthe pistes at the Toura area, and more on the Bellecombe. When we got there, having done about 5 x Toura/Lac Noir/Grand Creux, at 11.45 there were only 3 sets of tracks in there - totally amazing! Shocked Pic shows the tracks after we had been down & also the Hot Shots group (1 snowhead).

Later I got to ski the steep part of the Combe du Thuit in deeeeep powder (twice) and also to lap Rachas twice which was amazing. Very Happy Pic shows the (big) boys in Rachas.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Oh, and I got to ski onthe Stoekli Stormriders again - must have a pair.
snow report
Very nice day today. Mostly sunshine although a fair bit of cloud around, colder than of late and the wind was a bit chilly, but the snow was very good everywhere we went today both on and off piste. Very Happy The off piste was, of course, almost entirely tracked out, but was still skiable albeit not as nice as the freshies of yesterday. On piste conditions are fab everywhere. Very Happy We've been all over the mountain today, found not one patch of ice or hardpack, only winter snow above the Cretes and nice spring conditions down in the village.

Pic from the Echines (slightly steeper pitch nearer the middle than last week) looking down to the bottom of the Signal Chair & also looking towards Mont Blanc fromt he same place.
snow conditions
Natalie and Mo

Natatat B and R32 struggling with the 50cm of fresh powder, on piste, this morning. I've never seen so much snow at Easter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As you'll have seen from R32's post, it dumped hugely last night. Shocked the pistes were off piste, and the off piste was either great (top of the Diable under the Vallons chair) or unskiable (top of the Thuit where I got stuck more than once!) Mostly it was a dull day, the snow stopped quite early on, but there was a lot of flat light and fog around all day. Also lots of horrid bumps everywhere on piste which made learning difficult for the students. Laughing At least everyone did well, and the forecast is better for tomorrow.

Pic shows a small body in the Deversoir being supervised by his lesson pal! Laughing
ski holidays
Yesterday was brilliant & our deep powder skiing improved immeasurably ... well it had to. The "dome" run off the glacier was more than waist deep & pedal turns through it were exhausting but worth it. Today was `hero snow` everywhere on piste & lots of fresh tracks to be had off too.

Joined an assessement group at 4 pm today for a whole day in La Grave on wednesday so hope the weather holds out.Smile

Heard about a few avis in L2A today & sadly a couple of deaths reported too as well as some hospitalised survivors. Can't take the sport for granted. Sad
ski holidays
moffatross, Sorry we didn't get to see you, leaving early in morning and still need to tidy apartment and pack Sad
Yes, heard a few rumbles in valley Sad Have a great day in LG though Cool
snow conditions
moffatross, Hope to meet up with you soon as discussed.

What a beautiful day today. It was a shame that there was a nasty biting wind, but the snow was fab everywhere. Winter soft piste powder all over at the Cretes and above, although it was fairly wet snow down in the village by the end of the day. Certainly it would be hard to complain, and we all had a nice time with nice families skiing with me + Colin & Natalie B + the R32s, so a good giggle altogether. Very Happy

2 pix: one shows the view to the glacier fromt he top of the Lac Noir chair, and the other shows some snowboarders in Rachas enjoying themselve.
snow report
easiski, it was good to meet in the sunshine today but a shame not to meet R32 & the others. Hero snow again everywhere (except in the Grand Couloir which brought a bit of a sweat on today!). Upper Diable was very different to yesterday too as there was a fair bit of new avi run out debris 3/4 the way down across the chair bases. I'll post some pics when I'm back in bonnie Scotland. Packed up at about 3pm as it was getting just a bit too warm. Smile
latest report
moffatross, Yes - excellent to meet you too. It's a real shame that none of this week's people are snowheads!

As already mentioned it was hot today. Very Happy I was really enjoyingit, but skiing down Valentin around 16.00 was not the most fun in the world. It was heavy and soggy from start to finish, but better at the bottom where it was wetter.

2 pix from near the bottom of the Valentin, one looking up Belle Etoile with Valentin to the left of the cannons, and the other from the same spot looking across to La Muzelle.
snow conditions
Touch & go for La Grave today but did go ahead & I`m now knackered. Vallons du Meiges was brilliant, Challence was good too but not as challenging even though snow was pretty slushy. Heavy rain has now turned to steady snow here in L2A ... must have been a lot up top already. Going to AdH'z tomorrow so hope it's doing similar stuff there. Smile
latest report
moffatross, Glad you had a good time in LG - views are quite staggering aren't they? Have a nice time in ADH tomorrow. Very Happy

It was pretty miserable here today, but not nearly as bad viz-wise as it might have been. It wasn't cold and it wasn't windy, and the snow on the glacier was lovely and silky powder. The Echines was a bit windblown but nice to ski. Below glacier level the snow quickly degenerated into slushy, sticky mush. Sad Hardly surprising with the weather conditions. I don't know the temp outside now, but it's certainly not cold. Sad

My last student of the day and I got stuck waiting for the lift back up to the resto at 3,200m, but that was OK except that it messed up my trip to Grenoble. Sad I didn't feel at all like skiing back through all that mush on tired legs.

GCSE PE stuff to do tomorrow, so very serious day!! rolling eyes

Pix show possibly the biggest hand held drill inthe world being used to put up a new snowfence, and the kids' tracks onthe Echines
snow report
Hot and muggy today but without any sun. It did brighten up occasionally, but on the whole it was a dull day with really grotty, sludgy snow on all the lower half of the mountain. Sad

There were avalanches around all the walls of the lower paths and Route du Thuit, Liaison Sea-Grand Nord, Grand Couloir and Super Diable were all closed. This meant that we had to return to the Cretes either via the Gours or the Thuit which was a pain. Sad

Pic of pretty fog in the Venosc valley this morning
snow conditions
easiski, reckon you're going to struggle to get the 300 days of sun this year? Seems you've had far more rubbish weather than normal or is that just my perception?
latest report
Butterfly, We have deffo had lots of rubbish weather this year - it's a big talking point. Our 300 days looks doubtful at the mo for sure. Sad
ski holidays
Absolutely outstanding weather today. Wall to wall sunshine, no wind, warm ... what more could you want? Oh yes - and really nice piste conditions at altitude. Very Happy The off piste on the Echines wasn't very nice, it's true (breakable crust), but you can't have everything can you?

Of course the lower snow is very heavy slush and quite slow late in the afternoon, and I have to say the bumps in the Grand Couloir are as nasty as I've ever made the mistake of skiing. Shocked rolling eyes Still - a great day.

pix of the Puy Salié fromt he top of the Signal chair, and of Lungostyle waving to us!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy