Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins leggings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Want to buy a pair of skins leggings but am now spoilt with the choice between the standard one and the snowskins.
Got the standard top but wondered if there was any difference with the snowskins? Iam sure there is.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check the Forumsearch function, this has been discussed a few times......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that kitenski but don't really want to look through 800 odd replies.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
no problem then, I am sure someone else less lazy will be along soon to help you out, it must be hard work doing a basic search and then reading replies.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chect2000, skins are over-priced anyway. Nothing wrong with Linebreak, much cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah skins are rubbish and don't last very long.. Linebreak are good for the money (they also do a 3/4 which is great for skiing as it stops just before you boot cuff), if you have the money and want some really good ones the the 2xu elite are very good. As for tops the juries out on top half compression benefits, so save money and get a canterbury base layer for less.

best to try some on if you can, each brand is different but generally going a size smaller then you would think is the best option, unless you're some odd size or shape.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chect2000, what kitenski said.........use the search function...."dont really want to look through 800 odd replies"............... ret@rd.........

okbye
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowpatrol pri*k theres 831 replies. This is 1 page of 22. Pri*ks like you suck. Then when you narrow it to snowskins theres 4 replies which are not what iam looking for.
Have a look you di*k.

Replies: 66
Views: 1400
Forum: snowEvents Posted: Tue Oct 20, 09 10:48 Subject: Snowheads Intro to Touring
offpisteskiing, me plus a non-snowhead are definitely interested. both have done a bit of touring but happy to faff with skins etc with the noobs and enjoy some nice skiing if that works for you
Topic: Skins leggings
papasmurf

Replies: 6
Views: 299
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Tue Oct 20, 09 9:07 Subject: Skins leggings
Yeah skins are rubbish and don't last very long.. Linebreak are good for the money (they also do a 3/4 which is great for skiing as it stops just before you boot cuff), if you have the money and wan ...
Hurtle

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 22:45 Subject: Skins leggings
chect2000, skins are over-priced anyway. Nothing wrong with Linebreak, much cheaper.
Topic: Buying Skins, any opinions?
Adrian

Replies: 16
Views: 186
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 18:25 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
I have never heard of re-waxing skins. Mine are, I believe, some sort of man-made fibre from Coltex from about five years back. What sort of waxing is recommended? Are there any information sites disc ...
Topic: Cheat Sheets for skins
Haggis_Trap

Replies: 15
Views: 361
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 18:03 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
re-glueing skins every 25 days which seems a bit extreme. I've never once re-glued a pair of skins in my life - had a set of BD Ascensions that lasted about 5 years sans re-glueing (and many days out ...
offpisteskiing

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 17:46 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
altis, Still use them, but it depends on the day... if I know I'm just going up once and down once I often don't bother, as its easier to dry skins on the 'sheet' as opposed to in the sock so it saves ...
DaveC

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:57 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
Sticking together is much quicker and not really any slower to re-apply?

Don't do this with the newer Col-Tex, you will never get them apart again.

I've been using cheat sheets for years and wou ...
Haggis_Trap

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:47 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
The best thing I've seen are skin socks that offpisteskiing has. They are made of something thin and soft and are 1/3 the length of the skins. You put your hand down inside them, grab one end of the s ...
zammo

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:45 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
I use the Col-tex camlock skins on my Preachers. I'm no touring expert by any means, but they seem to work pretty well to me. They don't cover anywhere near the whole width of the ski at the tip, but ...
Arno

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:38 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
RPF, 100mm would be OK at a push and possibly some modifications (ok they probably aren't OK unless you are a tightar5e like me who likes cutting up skins); 110 or 120 fine, 130 OK but you really do n ...
Arno

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:18 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
I have had BD, Pomoca and Colltex skins. Agree with Parlor that Colltex are the best. Pomoca were the worst (but not terrible). BD are decent and are easier to get deals on
Haggis_Trap

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:12 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
Haggis_Trap, do you need to wax brand new skins?? I have some BD Ascension Nylon skins sat in the box which I will be using this season...

I wouldnt think so... (but I am no expert)

But if they ...
parlor

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:05 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
Sticking together is much quicker and not really any slower to re-apply?

Don't do this with the newer Col-Tex, you will never get them apart again.

I've been using cheat sheets for years and wou ...
kitenski

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:05 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
Haggis_Trap, do you need to wax brand new skins?? I have some BD Ascension Nylon skins sat in the box which I will be using this season...
Haggis_Trap

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 16:02 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
Looking after your skins *really* helps improve the performance....

- dry the skins out after every use
- try hard to keep dirt & pine cones off the bottom
- reglue the sticky side regularly ...
parlor

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 15:57 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
The glue on the new Col-tex is the best on the market. Amazing hold on the ski, no effort to remove it after a skin - unlike some skins which have nasty glue which welds it to your skis and can leave ...
kitenski

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 15:44 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
just found out my $100 Backcountry Black Diamond Ascension skins I ordered in the sale come with cheat sheets
RPF

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Mon Oct 19, 09 15:30 Subject: Buying Skins, any opinions?
I am looking to buy skins. looking for 130mm cut to size mixed mohair synthetic. Anyone used any of the models below? Any tips welcome positive or negative?

In particular the first 2 which I have ...
Topic: Which Transceiver?
RPF

Replies: 37
Views: 696
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Sun Oct 18, 09 23:07 Subject: Which Transceiver?
Bought Pulse tonight from Facewest £275. As I bought pack, probe, and shovel they knocked 10% of the total and I get 10% of this off my next purchase. As I'll need skins soon it will come in handy. : ...
Topic: For Sale: Scott Mission 179cm Look PX12 Ti Lifter Wide bindings, XScream poles
kitenski

Replies: 32
Views: 1124
Forum: Buy, Sell, Exchange Posted: Sun Oct 18, 09 15:53 Subject: For Sale: Scott Mission 179cm Look PX12 Ti Lifter Wide bindings, XScream poles
Q: are they Fritschi bindings that can lock and unlock at the heel to go uphill? do they fit skins?
A: No they are Look bindings as detailed in the auction. Yes the skis will fit skins.

I ...
Topic: For Sale: Scott Mission 179cm Look PX12 Ti Lifter Wide bindings, XScream poles
arv

Replies: 32
Views: 1124
Forum: Buy, Sell, Exchange Posted: Sun Oct 18, 09 15:39 Subject: For Sale: Scott Mission 179cm Look PX12 Ti Lifter Wide bindings, XScream poles
Q: are they Fritschi bindings that can lock and unlock at the heel to go uphill? do they fit skins?
A: No they are Look bindings as detailed in the auction. Yes the skis will fit skins.

chect2000

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Sun Oct 18, 09 9:16 Subject: Skins leggings
Want to buy a pair of skins leggings but am now spoilt with the choice between the standard one and the snowskins.
Got the standard top but wondered if there was any difference with the snowskins? Ia ...
Topic: Dawn Chorus Pt. 3
IncogSkiSno

Replies: 278
Views: 1780
Forum: Après Zone Posted: Wed Oct 14, 09 21:32 Subject: Dawn Chorus Pt. 3
holidayloverxx,

kittya, ouch - i hope you're feeling better soon.

crazy_skier_jules, Ooh I was going to PM you, you know the programme Skins, well the were looking for youngste ...
Topic: Grimentz
JT

Replies: 110
Views: 10430
Forum: Resort Reviews and Trip Reports Posted: Tue Oct 13, 09 12:51 Subject: Grimentz
If I were going back to Andermatt..and may well do sometime soon, I would certainly check out Discentis at the same time. I think you can get there on the train.

On our drive through the Furka, th ...
Topic: Removable touring bindings
the_doc

Replies: 13
Views: 227
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Fri Oct 09, 09 16:16 Subject: Removable touring bindings
Yeah I agree with Haggis here, I'm gonna use trekkers on my Redeemer's next season for access, means you've still got the security of an alpine binding but good options with your quiver. Yeah they're ...
Topic: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
DB

Replies: 41
Views: 737
Forum: The Piste Posted: Fri Oct 09, 09 8:10 Subject: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
Fritschi Freeride X: very robust and really functions like an ordinary downhill ski binding - some touring bindings move a bit under stress, I'm told.
The only downside I've discovered compared to no ...
Topic: Skiing - a rich persons sport?
little tiger

Replies: 153
Views: 4299
Forum: The Piste Posted: Fri Oct 09, 09 5:04 Subject: Skiing - a rich persons sport?
My baby brother started skiing at around 14-15 years old... he got dragged up to the snow with one of his buddies from climbing club... they camped in tents and there were no lift passes as they climb ...
snowball

Forum: The Piste Posted: Thu Oct 08, 09 14:11 Subject: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
Fritschi Freeride X: very robust and really functions like an ordinary downhill ski binding - some touring bindings move a bit under stress, I'm told.
The only downside I've discovered compared to no ...
DB

Forum: The Piste Posted: Thu Oct 08, 09 12:24 Subject: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
altis,

Agree on the skins, step out and harscheisen points - as I said only convenience issues.

Suspect that many have historically used Fritschi mainly because in the past there weren't many d ...
altis

Forum: The Piste Posted: Thu Oct 08, 09 12:09 Subject: Re: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
Some people can take their skins off without taking their skis off.

Yes it's possible but probably only a very few outside the rando racing community can manage this.

http://www.youtube.com/watc ...
DB

Forum: The Piste Posted: Thu Oct 08, 09 11:45 Subject: Re: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
horizon,

There are also convenience issues for example with the dukes you need to take the ski off to change into touring mode. Step in bindings (Duke / Fritschi) are easier to get into than Dyna ...
kitenski

Forum: The Piste Posted: Thu Oct 08, 09 11:28 Subject: Re: Touring - fitness vs equipment weight
horizon,

There are also convenience issues for example with the dukes you need to take the ski off to change into touring mode. Step in bindings (Duke / Fritschi) are easier to get into than Dyna ...
Topic: ISIA/L3 Ski recommendations
FlyingStantoni

Replies: 40
Views: 330
Forum: Bend ze Knees Posted: Mon Oct 05, 09 8:00 Subject: ISIA/L3 Ski recommendations
I've an old pair the Silver 1080's I've set up with touring bindings and skins. Do you guys reckon these would be OK for the mountain safety ?
In principle. The only thing to bear in mind is that (ce ...
rob@rar

Forum: Bend ze Knees Posted: Sun Oct 04, 09 18:05 Subject: ISIA/L3 Ski recommendations
I've an old pair the Silver 1080's I've set up with touring bindings and skins. Do you guys reckon these would be OK for the mountain safety ?
Yes, if you're happy skiing, skinning and boot-packing w ...
david@mediacopy

Forum: Bend ze Knees Posted: Sun Oct 04, 09 17:41 Subject: ISIA/L3 Ski recommendations
I'm with beanie1, and would probably do it on my 3Vs. I have them and am familiar with them. In 'real life' I much prefer my Karma twin tip's unless it's a hard pack day.

I've an old pair the Si ...
JT

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Thu Oct 01, 09 17:04 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
altis, ha ha ..

BC likes them and they seems a good idea for dealing with skins on the mountain... you can always tidy them up later when you get home
altis

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Thu Oct 01, 09 15:40 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
I suggest you don't leave them on over summer. My BD cheat sheets have part disintegrated all over the glue side of one of my pairs.

The best thing I've seen are skin socks that offpisteskiing has. ...
Arno

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Thu Oct 01, 09 15:11 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
BD skins come with them
useful but not sure i agree that they are a godsend. they do preserve the glue on skins much better than sticking the skins to themselves
kitenski

Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Thu Oct 01, 09 14:34 Subject: Cheat Sheets for skins
These are mentioned in this months fall line as being a god send for folding up skins whilst on the mountain.

It appears to be plastic gauze you stick your skins too, what do skinners reckon, do yo ...
Topic: Compression tights
michaelf

Replies: 8
Views: 258
Forum: Equipment Reviews/Questions Posted: Thu Oct 01, 09 13:29 Subject: Compression tights
Get Skins, kickbacksports is the cheapest on the net.

Page 1 of 21 Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 Next