Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video (repost): Ski Touring in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
While waiting for the season to arrive I've just done a director's cut of a video I posted a year ago. Basically it is in higher definition with some "lost footage".

It is a ski tour at the end of March 2008 t the west couloir of the Grand Replomb which you can see in the photo below. This was during the winter with "no" snow, we finally got 20cm to play with (windblown and crusty in spots).

http://youtube.com/v/Wy6zGL1k2do

You can see the couloir if you drive between Chambery and Grenoble on the autoroute. As you come through the Peage at the Grenoble end look to the left around 45 degrees and there is a clearly visible couloir opening out into a bowl.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-10-09 9:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof,

Great video!

Bring on the ski season!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice video! Looks like you had a lot of fun that day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I could see some of it was crusty and a bit tricky - but obviously a great day. Personally I'd prefer to do longer turns but a matter of taste I suppose. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Yes, I could see some of it was crusty and a bit tricky - but obviously a great day. Personally I'd prefer to do longer turns but a matter of taste I suppose. Very Happy

Yes some of the group could do with a few lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Embarassed Um, not what I meant at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, that looks pretty steep where you are kick turning up that colouir, any idea of the steepness, I'm considering doing some skinning, but not sure I'd manage getting up something like that!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can kick turn it is less than 40° (unless you work for a circus). I would guess that the couloir is about 35° for 250 meters vertical. A few degrees more than the Courchevel couloirs to give you a reference. You might well boot pack up such a slope.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
Embarassed Um, not what I meant at all.

No but it is true... we are not freeriders Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
If you can kick turn it is less than 40° (unless you work for a circus). I would guess that the couloir is about 35° for 250 meters vertical. A few degrees more than the Courchevel couloirs to give you a reference. You might well boot pack up such a slope.

funnily enough I was thinking "if that was me I would hoist arms and walk up", which would also not trash the snow for the way down as much. So why didn't you boot pack? too much hassle to take the skis off half way up or do you all enjoy the skinning?

regards,

Greg
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice Video, some well earned turns
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I agree (but partly because my skinning technique is not that hot.) However the last time I did that I struggled just as much on foot since it was quite sugary under the crust with no firm base and I had to resort to a sort of crawling technique, holding my skis in both hands and planting them horizontally in the snow in front of me to provide a sort of anchor in the snow to pull myself up with.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
So why didn't you boot pack? too much hassle to take the skis off half way up or do you all enjoy the skinning?

Unless the snow is hard (in which case I would boot pack with crampons) I prefer to skin, despite the zig-zags you make faster progress for less effort, at least in a wide couloir.

That said, when the snow turns harder I'm much more in favour of boot packing with crampons rather than skinning even with ski crampons. It is far safer. I've changed my mind on this in the last few years, I used to use harscheisen even on quite steep slopes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^ with you on that - by the time I feel I really need couteaux for safety (rather than convenience) I would much rather have crampons rather than skis on my feet
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy