Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VAT/duty on skis from the US

Poster: A snowHead
I'm about to pull the trigger on some US skis and am wondering how much people typically get stung for when they get over here with VAT + duty + 'handling' changes etc. I'm budgeting about +30% in all but that is based on my experiences with photography gear not skis!

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bought a board over the summer and am sure I paid about 15%. There are a few websites kicking around that help you calculate the import duty, so worth having a go on one of these sites first. 30% seems steep but then again when I tried one of the sites you had to say what the equipment was and so by implication it may well differ depending on what you are trying to import.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
narc, 15% vat, 3% duty and a handling charge which can vary between couriers/forwarders but anywhere between £5 and £45 but the courier you use will confirm how much handling charge before hand.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
narc, approx £13 customs clearance fee & 15% VAT. I bring a lot of kit in from the US & I reckon the best chance of them sneaking through is to have them sent by Fedex.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info guys, looks like it will be less than I was expecting. As for the courier, I'm at the mercy of whoever PM Gear decide to use...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 18-10-09 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
narc, PM Gear use Fedex as they get very favourable rates. The Fedex charge for them to ship by Llasa Pow's last March was $175 & I've a pair of their new 183 Bro's on order with Fedex shipping at the same price. BTW my Llasa's sneaked through with no charges Cool. Which ski are you ordering? Need any bindings? wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice. I'm going for 179 Bros probably in soft since I don't charge everything at mach-loony and intend to mount them with dukes (well probably barons at my weight). £245 is the best price I can get, sandown active sports had them for £205 but are out of stock.

Do you know what the lead time is before the 2010 PM gear skis start shipping? I know last year people were waiting months for them.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-10-09 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
narc, bought some spyder gear from the US and the largest part of the import bill was the courier handling charge. Still came in less than i was expecting and still an absolute bargain compared to UK prices.

30% estimate should more than cover it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£25 on a $300 dollar suunto @ $1.5 to the £ at the time of purchase.....somewhere just over the 10% mark, although my maths is $h!t so that could be wrong............

okbye
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
narc wrote:
.....Do you know what the lead time is before the 2010 PM gear skis start shipping? I know last year people were waiting months for them.

narc, Pat operates on a strictly first come first basis so the sooner you get your order in the better, however they do batch manufacture each model so it's worth emailing him to find out when he's running the 179's. If you taken advantage of the pre-order deal price I'd expect that you'll get them for Christmas. All the Bro models are getting tweaked over the summer with more carbon plus the tip shape & aluminium tp/tail pieces from the Llasa so your 179's will be sweet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't buy skis from a company that cant; use a spell checker or uses one badly, myself. http://www.pmgear.com/store/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10 "It's" is an abbreviation of "it is", not the possessive pronoun, "its".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
I wouldn't buy skis from a company that cant; use a spell checker or uses one badly, myself. http://www.pmgear.com/store/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10 "It's" is an abbreviation of "it is", not the possessive pronoun, "its".

Glassshouse..............stones...........don't.......throw Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there any type of organisation which is exempt from VAT tax payments in the UK? Clearly Ltd Companies and commercial entities have to pay tax, but what about diplomatic missions from other countries for e.g. - would they pay VAT on their services just like every other organisation? if so, would they reclaim in the same way?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 7-11-09 12:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kourtney, Any organisation with a vat applicable turnover of less than the current threshold (somewhere in the region of £60,000 per annum, I can't be bothered looking up the exact amount) is exempt, unless they have registered voluntarily for VAT.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kourtney, It is not just the organization that has to be VAT except - the item has to be. For example if you work for a charity doing medical research things like chemicals and computers can be VAT exempt - but other items such as office stationary isn't. I suspect skis could only be VAT except if they were used by a charity that provides skiing for people with disabilitites or maybe underprivilaged children. However in these type of cases I suspect a kindly ski manufacturer would provide them for nothing.
ski holidays
narc, Did you get your skis and what duty did you end up paying?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy