Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
nessy wrote:
skimum, didn't ski Portet because it looked super flat after the Corbalanche chair. Is it?

You missed out!

After the flat bit you saw, it goes through the trees and turns into an excellent fast blue right to the Molliets lift.

One of my favourite sections of blue on the entire mountain!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nessy wrote:
Would be cool if they could make Gron go high enough to ski effortlessly back to Morillon.

All they need do is put a small drag lift in to go up to the top of the Molliets lift from the top of the Gron chair.

I must admit I did think the same thing more than once!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rossco, Not sure what's quite so funny. I know a guy who had his leg smashed so badly there he can no longer ski and walks with a permanent limp. There are always too many morons skiing too fast for the conditions on Perce Neige.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
steve wrote:
rossco, Not sure what's quite so funny. I know a guy who had his leg smashed so badly there he can no longer ski and walks with a permanent limp. There are always too many morons skiing too fast for the conditions on Perce Neige.

I don't find it funny that people injure themselves, but surely you see the humour of loads of people snow ploughing down a narrow bumpy piste?!

Then the ski schools all bomb down it and completely clog it up.

It's crazy that it is a major link run, they really need to think about it and try and make an improvement if possible.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't find it funny that people injure themselves, but surely you see the humour of loads of people snow ploughing down a narrow bumpy piste?!

Nope. I'm too busy trying to protect my kids from getting wiped out!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rossco, I've been saying that for years and very year it seems to get worse as the area becomes better known/more developed. I do think that area could benefit from some policing - to stop people skiing in an unsuitable way and (I know this is very difficult) would certainly benefit from pisting during the day.......not sure how they'd manage that though Puzzled

Nessy, as rossco, said after the flat bit (which you can get over with minimal poling) it's well worth it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
steve wrote:

Nope. I'm too busy trying to protect my kids from getting wiped out!

Oh well, just me having a quiet giggle to myself as they all plough into a tight bumpy piste!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rossco, Combe overlooked?? possibky due to the legal disputes!!

nessy, errrrrm yes!! so cut right up at theh join of Celine and Vernant..... stay right and you drop in nicely after the flat bit.... but there again the flat bit is a good section for technique practie of flat (very flat) skis!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus wrote:
rossco, Combe overlooked?? possibky due to the legal disputes!!

nessy, errrrrm yes!! so cut right up at theh join of Celine and Vernant..... stay right and you drop in nicely after the flat bit.... but there again the flat bit is a good section for technique practie of flat (very flat) skis!!

What legal disputes?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rossco, ownership of the land coupled with concession in the new telecabine station.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulmclean85, I will be in Samoens next week 14th March for a week happy to join up with you and your fellow snow heads

Kishor Kbardolia@sky.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will be in Flaine for a week from 21st March. I will mostly be skiing with the family but would like to fit in a day or two guided off-piste and/or ski touring as well if possible. Do any of the schools organise off-piste groups that one can join for a day or failing that can anyone recommend a good local guide?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick trip report

Just back from a week in Flaine off piste with a SCGB group.

Great instruction made the best of the available off piste despite a lack of new snow, low temperature kept what was there in ok condition.

Some pics

we skied the face from top left- to middle to left. It felt steep. Compact snow.

from the top of the Vert drag go left and then over cornice into Gers bowl. We had some good snow.

like this

not everything went to plan (spot ski)

I think this is a gully leading to Dome- which is steepish to the left of Diamant Noir

little did we know it would get a whole lot steeper

The instructor was Diane Moreau- an independent in Flaine- she was excellent
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anyone else have any recent photos and or skied these?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hey snowheads these are my best photos ever!
snow report
ED123 Fantastic photos, deciding where to go this year and this bumps Flaine up the list
ski holidays
I guess it is almost time for a 2010/11 thread....any new rumours about the coming season?
ski holidays
It might snow.
ski holidays
I hope it might snow too! Although seriously, whats the likelihood of enough skiable snow around Morillon the first week of the season (seems to 11 Dec this year)? And if the lifts are open, is the creche likely to be - this is very important as need the later to use the former Toofy Grin
latest report
always29, A limited amount of Flaine only will be open from the 11th, morillon will not be open until at a week later. there maybe a early free weekend opening in les carroz with one or two pistes open. All depends on snow.
ski holidays
Aha!

Grand Massif chat about next season - I'm interested.....

Planning a 2ski day break the week before Feb half term (14-17) with my 12 year old. Want somewhere that's not going to be as busy as the big resorts, yet reasonably accessible from GVA

Had thought might have to stay "off the mountain" in somewhere like Cluses or Taninges to get accomodation by the night & driving up to the skiing.

What do you think? Grateful for anybody's tuppenceworth.

Thanks,

CW
ski holidays
Hi Ed, great pictures, Diane is brilliant as well as being a really lovely lady & great fun, out of interest the picture you took in the tight steep bit with the guy with the silver/titanium helmet, is that by any chance Salim? Toofy Grin

CW, I have stayed in this place in cluses when I could not get to my apartment because it was rented out & had to wait6 for people to leave, not 5 star but next to an OK place to eat & it only cost me 81 euros per night for 3 of us, great and cheap.

Hotel Inter-Hotel du Faucigny
Address Zae Les Bords d'Arve / 170 Rue Cesar Vuarchex
Scionzier, 74950
France
Phone +33450981671
Fax +33450985112
E-mail reception@hotel-faucigny.com

I hope this has helped you.
latest report
cardweg, There is an ibis in sallanches next to the carrefour. I stayed there last feb for 5 days and drove up to les carroz. Was eur40 a night as i booked it really early. The restaurant in the supermarket is reasonable, shuts at 8.30pm, there is one in the ibis as well.
snow conditions
Thanks Mutley & carroz,

Those were exactly the two options I had identified.

Glad that someone i "know" (if even only virtually) has actually stayed there and can vouch for their accomodation.

I'm now toying with a choice of resort: Sallanches to Combloux/ Les Houches/ St Gervais or Cluses to le Grand Massif (not sure which resort)/ Les Gets

As my son has only had one week on snow & we've only got 2 days skiing, I'm not too fussed on a big area, just a good handful of well linked greens & blues.

Grateful to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

CW
snow conditions
Mutley wrote:
CW, I have stayed in this place in cluses when I could not get to my apartment because it was rented out & had to wait6 for people to leave, not 5 star but next to an OK place to eat & it only cost me 81 euros per night for 3 of us, great and cheap.

Hotel Inter-Hotel du Faucigny
Address Zae Les Bords d'Arve / 170 Rue Cesar Vuarchex
Scionzier, 74950
France
Phone +33450981671
Fax +33450985112
E-mail reception@hotel-faucigny.com

I hope this has helped you.

cardweg we have stayed here as well following a recommendation here. If you do have to stay in the valley, it's very acceptable and reasonably priced. We stayed en route to Flaine.
ski holidays
Mutley, - yes it is! We had a really great time.
snow conditions
and it really was steep- Diane is supern and I would not have been able to do it without her (I'm sure none of us could)- she very gently increases the pressure until....... nad then we go off and do something easy- quite a ludic quality and quite unlike a trip to la Grave I did- but actually I skied stuff far steeper in Flaine- but then did something far less taxing.

Have you skied with Salim much- he is great fun.
snow conditions
Ed,

Yes I know him well god he is such a crap skier Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing

Only kidding he is a great bloke, did he have his new super leki poles with him that just clip in & out, he is such a girl & loves his gadgets Toofy Grin

I still can't understand why he did not just go straight down in that pic and make a left turn after the rock, I presume those turns further down from you guys that look angelic are Diane's turns Blush

As for Salim yes he is a top bloke (crap Skier) I only sent him my dates for next season a week or so back in the hope that they clash so I can make sure we will not be on the slopes together Laughing NehNeh

Looks like you all had a blast Very Happy

Are you skiing Flaine again next season??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mutley, I think Salim was the first of our group to go down and that the line hadn't been skied for a while as it had a little (10-15cm) of undisturbed snow over old tracks.

Yes obviously we all straight lined it

(not)

we had a fantastic week despite no new/fresh snow- except for ridiculous places like that gully.

I'm not sure what I'm doing in the coming season apart from a family trip to Peisey with hordes of kids (I'll probably tele to make the most of it) I'd certainly do the Flaine week again but I'm not sure if I will have the free time.
ski holidays
cardweg, Asking about easyish stuff - Les Carroz Grand Massif is handy enough - the main cabinlift gets you to a really nice area that has access to a few blues (and one green I think) that are great for early improvers. You can come down on the lift or ski down nice blue, dependent on confidence / snow conditions.
snow conditions
cardweg, Thinking about your son, Morillon has the advantage of one of the loveliest long green runs in the Alps (the Marvel) which is a joy even for those who are red/black skiers so really nice for your son to get really confident on.
ski holidays
Stan you are right Marvel is a great run skied it loads Cardweg there are also some very good blues from the top of flaine, a bit technical (steeper) to start with but great fun & wide pistes, you could just buy the Flaine bowl lift pass as you have only got 2 days, but if your son is ok & up for it it is a great adventure exploring further afield in the other areas of the GM resorts

What ever you decide it will be a blast for you. Toofy Grin
snow report
Mutley, hello- am now going to Flaine 8th January for a week- with Diane etc-
ski holidays
ed123, have a great time. Your message just prompted me to take a look at those pics from last year. They are really good. Hope the weather is as nice for your trip this coming season.
ski holidays
Massif info.for 2010/11 season Corbalanche Black having a cut and plough over this week, to remove all the bushes etc. making snow coverage easier. Snow-making installed from top of the "Morrillon Blue" that starts at Chalet D'Clair.
latest report
ed123 wrote:
Mutley, hello- am now going to Flaine 8th January for a week- with Diane etc-

Hi Ed well that's great news I will be leaving on the 9th of Jan for the UK as we have to get our son back to school at least we will get a few weeks in before life has to return to normal Embarassed then we have to wait to half term and Easter, plus I am trying to sneak another week in and I just hope my wife wont notice I am missing. Laughing

You never know I may catch you on the 8th if your skiing that day, let me know by PM and I will ping you my number, were are you staying?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy