Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Just had this in an e-mail from one of my apartment guests who is booking a Morillon transfer for a late Feb trip:
"yeah... we heard from the Geveva Taxi Transfer people that it was snowing hard right now!! and is expected to continue for 4 days!!! Wish it was the 27th now!!!"
Sounds like this week and next week will be bumper snow conditions - if anyone fancies it, i've got availability for 6-13 Feb.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi All

We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child (boy9) going to Morilon for a week of snowboarding, March 6th 2010. We went last year for our first snowboard holiday and had a fantastic trip. Even though we were a bit bruised afterwards we have definitely got the bug!

Last year we stayed on the greens and blues, and the odd red, so i would say we are probably intermediate boarders.

Last year we wanted to do the Cascade run but it was closed every day, i think because of visibility. In fact we didn't even venture to Flaine or Lez Carroz as we were enjoying Morillon and Samoens, there was plenty for us there for our first time.

I have lots of questions and would appreciate any advice you guys/girls have for us novice snow addicts.

1 Does anyone rate the Cascade run down to Sixt, would it suit boarders? Is it best to go in the morning or afternoon?
2 How do you get from Morillon to Flaine via runs/lifts? We have a piste map but its difficult to tell which links to Flaine.
3 What other runs in Flaine and Lez Carroz would suit us.
4 Is the Sarbotte (blue dotted) run from Les Mollets worth doing or even open? What is blue dotted?
5 Where is the best to snowboard off piste

Does anybody else have any tips on what to do and where to go.

Thanks all Gary.

PS, Not sure if I've put this post in the right place.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elgrego wrote:
Thanks for the pm, jivebunny

Unlike you lucky people, due to my current circumstances I am highly unlikely to be skiing the GM this year. Sad

A great pity, as the last run of the day Marvel back to Morillon 1100 is a particular favourite.

I wish all of you, all the best in your exploits in the coming season.

elgrego

Always wanted to quote myself! Embarassed

However since that post, events have taken a turn for the better and I will now be skiing the GM, based in Morillon from 27 February to 2 March 2010.

To say I can't wait is something of an understatement!!!

Looking at the other thread it looks like conditions are fairly good at the moment.

Have also booked for 1/2 term week 2011, does anyone have experience of what Les Esserts is like during the February half term please. (busy??)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've organised a trip with a few friends arriving in Les Carroz on 27th Feb. Unfortunatley I didn't realise it was the final week of the French school holidays. Anyone able to comment on how busy it is likely to be on the slopes and hopefully put my (worried) mind to rest that I am not going to get a lot of grief. Also, where's the best place to go for a beer in the evening?

Brian
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
elgrego, I have been to Morillon 1100 at half term with my family and it was really good. It was our first half term holiday and I was dreading crowded pistes and lift queues but it was really civilised. A good buzz in terms of number of people but no lift queues (even at ski school departure the wait was minimal). We skied all over the GM area. The only lift queue I did experience was when I decided to go down to the valley floor to visit the weekly street market. There was a quite a wait to go down as many of those staying down in Morillon village were using the gondala. So, basically, I was put off staying in the valley at half term but would say you are in for a treat being up at Morillon 1100.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone give us any advice on how long it takes to get over to Flaine from Samoen....we are skiing in mid March but a load of mates are over in Flaine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4020markd, from the bottom of the Grand Massif Express to the top of the DMC takes about 50minutes if you focus and don't faff around.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus wrote:
4020markd, from the bottom of the Grand Massif Express to the top of the DMC takes about 50minutes if you focus and don't faff around.

Hi marcellus...DMC???
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed in Morillon 1100 the last week in February last year. Always a bit of a queue for the Sairon chair but it was still quicker to queue and take the fast chair than take the 2 slow chairs (which had no queues). Worst queues were Les Molliets (upgraded this year of course) and a 45 minute horror at Lanches which is a dead end so we had no alternative but to tough it out. I've since been assured that we were just unlucky at Lanches. We're going again this year but fortunately can go a week later when only 1/3 of France is on holiday as opposed to 2/3 the week before.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4020markd wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Hi marcellus...DMC???

DMC is the cable car to the top of Flaine!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[/quote]

DMC is the cable car to the top of Flaine![/quote]
Hi, 2nd post here. For years, as a Flaine regular, I wondered what "DMC" stood for (well it takes all sorts). "Dual Mono Cable" referring to a lift which uses a pair of continuous cable, instead of a single cable. Gives increased stability and the Flaine DMC IS a pleasant ride IMO. Regards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
isn't it also the name of the Flaine lift company?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't think so but have you heard different?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info, StanBowles and nessy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Gary
Re your questions below -
1 Does anyone rate the Cascade run down to Sixt, would it suit boarders? Is it best to go in the morning or afternoon?
The Cascade run is beautiful but not very steep there are areas where even skiers have to pole. So long as you don't mind some flat bits it's certainly worth doing. If you plan your day there is a restaurant half-way down you can book and have lunch. There is a telephone on the side of the piste that you call them on and they come and pull you (on your skis of course) to the restauant. Can't remember the name of it)

2 How do you get from Morillon to Flaine via runs/lifts? We have a piste map but its difficult to tell which links to Flaine.
It is very easy route, no difficult pistes. At the top of Tete De Saix, take Slice run which joins Dolomie, take the ski lift on the left called Vernant ( the opposite one for the journey home Corbolanche). From the top of Vernant lift ski Tourmaline all the way to Flaine.

3 What other runs in Flaine and Lez Carroz would suit us.
As intermediate boarders most red runs would be ok for you. Can't say any of them are too dificult, the top part of Cuppoire in Les Carroz is a mogul run so you may want to avoid that. One of our favourite runs is Stade, the snow always seems to keep well on it.

4 Is the Sarbotte (blue dotted) run from Les Mollets worth doing or even open? What is blue dotted?
Avoid the Sarbotte, in all the years we've skied the GM we've never known it open it, it is a walking path in the summer.

5 Where is the best to snowboard off piste.
Lots of off-piste, but be very careful in Flaine there are dreadful crevises. Watch where the locals ski/board.

Does anybody else have any tips on what to do and where to go.
If you do ski to Sixt then enjoy the beautiful red pistes, take the button lift cross the road and you will find a whole new ski area including a nice restaruant and an easy black.
ski holidays
DJADS, In GM 2 weeks ago - 5 skiers plus one (good) boarder - we did cascades and really enjoyed provided you know there are 2 walkies (100m or so each depending on how fast you hit them!) - one near the top and one in the middle and a (usually) icy set of hairpins on the last 2/14 km. But the upper middle bit and the lower middle bit are fabulous - great scenery, no other pistes around, roller coaster stuff. And do the restaurant - all the tourist offices and reps know the munber - book the day before as only open if piste open... snowHead
snow conditions
Anyone know please, the availability of an evening taxi from Samoens to Morillon (Les Esserts)???

Are there any companies available anyone can recommend??

Also potential cost would be handy to know, if any snowhead could help with some info (websites or phone numbers) I'd be very grateful Smile

Thanks in advance.

elgrego
ski holidays
There is a taxi floating around somewhere, not sure of name or number or some of the transfer companies can do it for a fee (gomassif.com)
snow conditions
marcellus, Thank you, will give them a try Smile
ski holidays
Will be in Samoens from lunchtime tomorrow 11th Feb until Monday morning 15th Feb...back 20-27th Feb again for more ;o)

Day Ski buddies welcome..please PM.
latest report
Hi All,

We are heading out to Les Carroz on the 28th Feb for a week. Self driving and staying at Chalet Virage (www.ski63.com).

Haven't been skiing for nearly 4 years so can't wait!! Getting married, doing up a house and having a baby sure does limit your piste time!!

Have booked a 2 hour lesson my wife and I with Georgio from ESF to brush up our technique.

Am really looking forward to Cascade and Marvel. Any other good pistes I should look out for - first time in the GM for us! I am a competent red run skiier with the occasional black.

Rossco
snow report
rossco, Stu & Ju.. lovely couple you'll have a great time.................... Georgio.. nice bloke good instructor you'll have a great time!!

All in all sounds good!
ski holidays
Excellent! Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions
Any recent snow reports other than SkiClub GB for the GM?
snow report
see other thread rossco,
latest report
Macellus - any views on how busy the area is at the moment and more importantly how busy it is likely to be w/b 28th Feb? I inadvertently booked a lads trip without realising it's still French holidays. Any tips to avoid the worst queues or bottlenecks would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
ski holidays
brianr, at the moment (and this is possibly the worst week of the year) they're not too bad.......... not good but not too bad..

I would have thought w/c 28th should be ok!
ski holidays
Hi - was wondering if anyone knew what times the lifts open in Flaine on a Sunday. Would like to get a run in before ski school starts at 10 O clock - to check I can still ski! Many thanks Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
08:45 or 09:00 iirc mcphail,
latest report
Thanks Marcellus Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Just returned (last night) from an excellent week in Les Carroz.

The weather was fine and the snow good.

Cold conditions and lack of any real snow fall meant crusty and icy conditions first thing but by 10am the conditions were very good.

Combe, Timalets and Marmottes were generally heavy late in the afteroon, with the latter two well mogulled.

We had a good 1.5" on Saturday which helped freshen things up a bit.

But all in all a great weeks skiing! Snow over in Flaine was a tad better, especially higher up. Having said that vis was an issue on 2 days up high.

Marvel and Sairon over in Morillon were great - marvel turning brown and patchy about 2/3's of the way down.

Samoens was fine apart from the very low runs which were closed.

I had a brilliant pair of Vólkl 10' Tiger Sharks from Sylvan in Ski 2000 in Les Carroz - I can really recommend both the hire venue and the skis, excellent on both counts.

All in all a great trip and definately a place to return to - Les Carroz is a lovely place with a great vibe so well pleased with all choices!!
ski holidays
Also just back from a week in Morillon 1100. Didn't see much of Les Carroz because it looked like as soon as we went below the Gron lift someone had been spraying stones on the piste. Not a queue anywhere except for Sairon in mid afternoon. The new Les Molliets lift made the return to Morillon pretty painless. I think Gron is my favourite lift. Would be a good target for a high speed upgrade.
snow conditions
nessy wrote:
Also just back from a week in Morillon 1100. Didn't see much of Les Carroz because it looked like as soon as we went below the Gron lift someone had been spraying stones on the piste. Not a queue anywhere except for Sairon in mid afternoon. The new Les Molliets lift made the return to Morillon pretty painless. I think Gron is my favourite lift. Would be a good target for a high speed upgrade.

Well below Gron you only have Combe, La Forestiere and Timalets anyway so 90% of Les Carroz is at Gron lift or higher!

But I agree, a nice new 6 man lift at Gron would be great. Also a high speed 4 man lift at L'Airon or Gentianes would be great as well.
ski holidays
rossco, my husband rode up on L'Airon at half term with someone who told him the plan was to put in a fast 6 man to replace those 2 clanky 2 man chairs, long overdue IMHO. I don't mind Gron, although not fast there's very rarely a queue. The other lift I think needs replacing is Lanche - from Morillon to Tete de Saix - a real bottleneck in school holidays.

Glad to hear things are holding up ok, we're back out for a long weekend soon and then Easter Very Happy
snow conditions
skimum, interesting about Lanche. Last year we queued for 45 minutes and then the 7 of us got so dispursed in the queue our arrival at the top was spread over 10 minutes. The locals on here insisted we were just unlucky Wink This year I took Lanche one time. No queue but it was soo long, slow and cold. I would imagine it is a good place to eat a picnic on a warm spring day.

On the other hand do you really want to pump even more people onto Perce Neige. I have rarely seen more carnage than this piste at 16:00
latest report
rossco, Gron's movving carpet has a real problem when it is snowy or very early in the morning, it literally glues ice to the bottom of your skis, when you get off at the top you just stop.

Apparently the next plan is to make airon lac bigger, and put snowmaking on combe, so no more stones..... Very Happy
snow report
carroz, funny you should say that about the Gron chair moving carpet, my son ground to a halt completely of the top, one of his skis was so iced up, we couldn't figure out why!

nessy, Perce Neige can be a complete nightmare in the afternoons, especially in school holidays. I agree that you don't want to dump more people up there but at that time of day I think it's more to do with people skiing back over from Flaine (and to a lesser degree Samoens). If we're skiing back from Flaine to Morillon we'll now choose to ski Portet and get Les Molliets chair (now there's hardly ever a queue there) and avoid the dreaded Perce Neige! I've been saying since I first skied there that something needs to be done with it but not sure what.
latest report
Hahaha!!

I must admit Perce-Neige was absolute carnage at times, but in a quite funny way!

L'Aréte was pretty bad as well, full of beginners who were afraid to let themselves go and tuck in and then ended up walking uphill!

Snow cannons on Combe are a must and if I'm honest I'm shocked that they have been overlooked in favour of other higher areas.
ski holidays
Would be cool if they could make Gron go high enough to ski effortlessly back to Morillon.
ski holidays
skimum, didn't ski Portet because it looked super flat after the Corbalanche chair. Is it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy