Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Massif (Morillon, Samoens, Les Carroz, Sixt & Flaine) 2009/10 Season Thread

Poster: A snowHead
e17phil, I took a mixed ability group to GM last season (we're all going again so it obviously didn't put them off) and took a couple of early intermediates down Dahu on the afternoon of the first day (I'd only ever skied it in the morning), on one particular section it was CARNAGE - narrow, mogulled and littered with bodies Shocked The following day they had a private lesson and their instructor took them down the red - Marmottes (from where it crosses Dahu) which they found much easier, his recommendation for dealing with that particular section of Dahu was to go down it on your bum Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lou,

Hi Lou,

How was your trip? did the snow hold up, it was starting to rain when we left on the 27th. I guess yuo are snowed in at the moment? I see you are going to Flaine later this year, have you been before? I have short listed it, but do not know it. Boys trip early march so Apres required. Any help or advice would be good.

Thanks Dan
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[stevo_the_saddler[/b], Stevo, you seem to know Flaine well, can I ask you advice? Is the apres ski lively? I am looking to come out first week of March for a long weekend, 4 men 35-40 want good skiing and a few beers. I see you Chalet is all booked, are you aware of any where that offers 4 nights, with or with out food? Thanks for any pointers. Dan
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lightningdan, I've am going back to Flaine this year with a similar group to yours as we enjoyed it last year. Last year we managed to do both Flaine and Tignes, and for a quick weekend break Flaine really is very handy. The convenience of being a little over an hour from Geneva, ski in / ski out accommodation does make for a good combination for such a short length of time.

We are again staying in the P&V Flaine Foret Apartments, one of our group has been on 20+ ski trips and he reckons it's some of the best accommodation he has ever stayed in.

There are approx 10 bars + restaurants to choose from which is plenty for a few nights, and if you are in a group manic nightlife doesn't so much matter. There was plenty of entertainment on hand to produce many sore heads in the morning.

I am sure others will have resort recommendations and I am sure we will branch out further in coming years, but we are quite happy going back to Flaine and the skiing is excellent
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reded78, Thanks for that reded, I usually go to Les Gets with the family, so childcare is covered. I really like Les Gets , but want to try soemwhere else. Your feed back is great, I have already looked at theP&V web site , but will go and have a nother look. I do not want to sound dumb, but I have a bad experience with an apartment once, and was amazed to find it did not have a bed or sheets, only a sofa bed. This was booked for me by an idiot friend, but took the edge off teh holiday. What level of comfort did you get at the apartment? and when it says "duvet" supplied is that with or without bedding? We are driving so not a massive problem, as long as we know. I like the sound of the ski in ski out, I hate the wait for buses etc. Many Thanks, Dan
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lightningdan, The apartments were 1st class. We booked the 2 bedroom apartment between 5 of us. 2 x proper sized bedrooms with single beds, 1 x bathroom, 1 x shower room with separate WC, and then 2 single sofa beds in the lounge. All very comfortable, bedding supplied with proper quilts and I think towels (but can't remember). The general decor and condition is excellent, they were apparently refurbished a few years ago.

The kitchen has all the bits and bobs you would expect but I imagine you would be eating out / takeaways etc. The boot rooms are superb - each apartment has a double full height locker with boot heaters and plenty of storage room. This then opens out onto the main street approx 30m's from the start of the slopes.

I would have no hesitation in recommending these apartments, and no I'm not on commission.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reded78, I agree on Foret P&V aparts - refurbed a couple of years ago. South facing have the view (and it is a great view) and the sun on the balcony , north into the hill - depends if looking out of your window is worth 100 euros+ ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have a south facing apartment this year, but only because it was about an extra 50Euro when booking. Only 13 days to go till our trip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you don't mind my post, but if anybody needs any extra accommodation for friends etc, then our chalet in Samoens still has availability...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kewhoward, So far as quickest is concerned, then it would be Telecabine, Gentianes, Vernant for Flaine and I've always preferred Telecabine, Gron, Airon for Samoens. (I think the Lanche is one of my least favourite lifts.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi again.

Anyone got a favourite bar/ restaurant on the slopes?

Or the flip side of the question, are there any to avoid.

Cheers.

Phil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
e17phil wrote:
Hi again.

Anyone got a favourite bar/ restaurant on the slopes?

Or the flip side of the question, are there any to avoid.

Cheers.

Phil

Lou Caboens and Gîte du Lac de Gers in Samoens and L'Igloo in Morillon are my favourites
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi everyone I am hoping to come over and visit some of you from Les Arcs this winter as I have the new 'holiski zen card' thing and want to try it out. Anyone got any ideas of how well they are set up to use it in your area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is meant to work as the Grand Massif area is a Cie des Alpes ski area http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/skiez_alacarte.php?lang=en&station=gm&gallery_id= but have never seen anyone with one yet. Heard that the guy that had thought this out got the boot!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
e17phil, Just because it is different to everywhere else I've tried, I'd say you have to look in at the Bar/Creperie (don't know the name) just above Morillon 1100. On the left of the main piste or just achievable (slightly uphill) from the end of the Marvel.
snow report
What are the roads conditions currently? We'll be heading to Flaine on Saturday. Our van has proper winter tires on, but are chains necessary?
latest report
gman_lt, if you think they are needed when you get here, put them on.

Everyone is different, has different levels of competency and styles and the vehicle makes a difference too. (most of the transfer buses are going over teh col without but the odd one or 2 are putting them on (not odd as in odd but odd as in few)
snow report
NickFI, Hi Nick, seen the chalet, will call you in th emorning, 4 nights starting on the 4th March? Dan
snow report
P10DW wrote:
e17phil, Just because it is different to everywhere else I've tried, I'd say you have to look in at the Bar/Creperie (don't know the name) just above Morillon 1100. On the left of the main piste or just achievable (slightly uphill) from the end of the Marvel.

Is that La Combe you are thinking about?
ski holidays
mcphail wrote:
Hi - I'm new here - just discovered this website, and VERY impressed so far! Group of us going to Flaine in March, and booking it all separately (flights and accommodation already booked!) - anyone know of a good, reliable private transfer firm we could use - there will be 9 of us (no skis), and flying into Geneva. Been to Flaine last year too, and love it! Razz

Also try Powdercab.com
latest report
Hello, after getting the train to Bourg for the last 3 seasons we are driving to the Alps for the first time in March [too much gear now for the train and want to bring supplies for the week and detour via Chablis for more wine on the way back]. We are staying in the Floret appartments in Flaine but the TO are proving inept re the parking situation in resort. The brochure mentioned underground parking but the firm can't seem to supply any info. Does anyone know if there is any public underground parking and if so approximate cost and if it can be booked in advance.
Any help greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
I am not aware of any underground parking apart from a few appt blocks which I believe may have their own. Not P&V. On parking in general, there is barrier at the entrance to Foret, you get a ticket and you can park outside the appt for 90 mins while you unload after that you get charged, if I recall it's 8.5 euros an hour. There is a long stay car park almost directly behind the appts, again can't quite remember either 4 or 4.5 euros a day. This resort map might give you an idea. http://www.flaine.com/pages/plan-station-ski.php?lg=EN I think there may be a few blocks of private garages, maybe best to email a few of the rental agencies.
ski holidays
No Style, Welcome to snowheads snowHead Guess you mean the P&V Foret apts referred to above? Like gsb I haven't noticed any "public " covered parking. The long stay open air is just behind the main (only!) drag in Foret and you can leve it quite close to P&V (though as above you can unload for free anyway). Enjoy!
snow report
Hi is anyone going for a short break in March to Sameon...we have just booked 10/3 to 14/3 Early Stansted Flight (arr GVA 10.00) Dep GVA Sunday (20.30). Would like to share a transfer, there is only two of us and its real expensive! Any suggestions or buddies for the drive up would be welcomed.
latest report
A group of nine of us are off to Samoens on the 16. January, This is our second visit in three years. In 2008, we had brilliant snow, hopefully it will be the same again. We are staying in a barn conversion http://www.truemanalp.com/Ski-alp/Accomodation/The-Barn/Bilberry.aspx which we also stayed in during our last trip. Very handy for the ski lift, but a bit of a walk into town.
snow report
Been up this morning and I've got to say "generally good"..... played off piste for a while, not as deep as I'd like and some trees showing through.

Skied down to the Vercland lift and my advice to anyone else is DON'T... half the group too the red the other half took the black (closed) and both groups wished they'd gone the other way!!
snow conditions
Hi guys.

Off to Samoens on Monday and just wondered if you can rent lockers at Samoens 1600.

We rented our kit in the village (cheaper) but it would be so much easier to leave it overnight at 1600.

Cheers.

Phil
ski holidays
HI ALL
This is my first posting. Great reading your forums!
Just returned from a weekend in Les Carroz with my better half. It was our first visit and only by accident as our flight to Innsbruck was cancelled so had to find something last minute. We had a great time & are planning to return with our novice 7 year old for the last week of March.
Any advice on first time ski school for our little one would be appreciated. We thought to stay in Les Carroz again, but would also appreciate advice on whether it is worth staying up in Flaine because of tha lateness in the season. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mcphail,
Try www.montblanctaxi.com Reliable and good VFM
latest report
SKIFOOL, welcome to snowheads! snowHead top half of flaine always good through to end of season, lower halves of others can be v iffy but links ar kept open as long as possible. I've skiied the whole area in mid april after not a great snow season...
snow report
Quote:

Try www.montblanctaxi.com Reliable and good VFM

Thanks SKIFOOL - tried them, but can only take up to 8, and there are 9 of us. thanks anyway Razz
ski holidays
Hi all

I just got back from a few days fun skiing in Samoens last weekend.

I've thrown a video together if anyone wishes to have a peek.

http://youtube.com/v/fZLdpyvBQis (for HD you now need to click the 720p box in the bottom right hand corner)

Cheers.

Phil
snow conditions
Hi all

I'm new to Snowheads and to Samoens but will be there for week on Sat 30th and wondered if anyone fancies a ski?!

I did a season in Verbier recently doing some instructing but am back in the UK now so next week is just a chilled holiday with some friends who are beginner skiers. I'd be keen to explore the area and off-piste though.

If you want a ski buddy for a day or if there's some Snowheads rendevous going on drop me a line at salbufera@hotmail.com

Cheers!

Adam
snow conditions
e17phil wrote:
Hi all

I just got back from a few days fun skiing in Samoens last weekend.

I've thrown a video together if anyone wishes to have a peek.

http://youtube.com/v/fZLdpyvBQis (for HD you now need to click the 720p box in the bottom right hand corner)

Cheers.

Phil

Great Video Phil
brought back some good memories of a trip we had there last year. We were staying in Morillon so the shots on the blue made me smile.
Its a great resort if there's plenty of Snow- were heading back beginning of March
snow report
e17phil, Great video and what great snow. The untracked off piste looked particularly tempting. I see there's been more snow today. It looks like a really good base for quite a long season. Anyone just back?
snow report
StanBowles wrote:
I see there's been more snow today. It looks like a really good base for quite a long season. Anyone just back?

Not just back (never leaving) but no new snow today (Wednesday) had about half an hour yesterday but didn't really do anything.....
snow conditions
Thanks guys.

Video a bit thrown together - I'm going to play around with the footage a bit but a few guys wanted a quick and dirty edit.

That Blue down to Morillon was loved by all of our group even the really good skiers - it's so quiet, long and just cruisy cool Happy

Hated Cascades though!! Lost count of how many hairpin bends onto another bloody sheet of ice we went down Happy

Hopefully I'm back out there in the next month.
ski holidays
Looks like the trees have some fresh stuff on here http://www.ot-morillon.fr/activites-hiver/ski-alpin-les-webcams-du-grand-massif.php and the weather forecast bodes well for quite a bit more over the next five days or so.
latest report
StanBowles, yes snow early hours of this moring 2cm @ 700m!!
latest report
Managed a day ski in Samoens & Flaine 10 days ago and conditions were excellent with no one on the slopes. Lunch at Lou Caboens on the terrace was superb. Apparently chef used to work for a Michelin star restaurant. Also checked La Reine des Pres which is the new MGM that opened in Samoens in December and both the apartments and the leisure facilities are fantastic. Location close to Grand massif Express and village centre is excellent too. Definitely recommend and will be staying there myself later in season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy