Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

savin 250 euro worth a 7+ hr drive?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
usually fly into munich but flights are 300+ for next jan23rd so have booked ryanair from kerry into frankfurt hahn for 60 euro incl ski and bag charges. route planner says the trip is 405 miles to lanersbach (mayrhofen) taking approx 7.5 hrs. are we mad? anybody ever done this trip?is 7.5hrs about right? no other flight options from my part of the world. flights for a week later come down to 250 ish but then other costs go up for that week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don;t know that area at all my only comment is that a 7.5hour drive could easily become a 10+hour drive if the roads are bad and a journey from hell if you're not used to the conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
creedgearoid, it's a big saving, & the petrol costs won't be too much more (& I assume they'll be split between a few of you) so yeah, it's probably worth it. Although you may feel differently on the way back - always seems much harder work, somehow... Toofy Grin

Do you arrive nice & early, & will you be going through any little ski areas en route? Perhaps you could make the journey a real part of your holiday, & do a half-day somewhere totally off the beaten track... snowHead

Edit to add:
Didn't consider bad conditions Sad but you'll have saved enough to grab a cheap overnight stop if necessary & still come out well in profit, I guess!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting way to get there Shocked I assume no flights to memmingen, friedrichshafen etc.?
Times sound about right. I do Innsbruck/Mayrhofen in about 5.5-6 hours, but Hahn to Lanersbach is a bit further at each end.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
creedgearoid, Isn't there a bit of a splash of water between West Cork & Mayrhofen Puzzled Have you figured that into the 7.5hrs?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus: yes thats whats worring me more than anything, would accept 7.5hrs if thats all it took. was especially looking for someone who had done a trip from that airport or frankfurt main but certainly appreciate any input.
5 of us in car so fuel not major cost. landing in hahn 12ocl so will get there in the evening, hopefully!
andy:nothing to friedrichshafen or memmingen from cork, you mention trip innsbruck/mayrhofen surley didnt take that long to travel innsbruck to mayrhofen unless you were cycling?
qenepi: going to have to get over the water bit no matter which way I go
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
creedgearoid, from here to innsbruck or mayrhofen. I'm about 15mins South of Frankfurt Airport. Maybe an hour or so from Hahn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ANDY: Had me worried for a bit there. so 7.5 - 8hrs sounds about right i guess. do you like to sink the pedal a bit or is that time done at leisurely pace? have you done it during winter on a sat and have there ever been any serious hold ups?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
creedgearoid, A fair bit of the route is 120kph zone. I usually only do that route in winter, and the most serious hold up is at Kufstein on a Sunday evening as half of Germany returns home (all the Tirol and Salzburg traffic converges on the road to Munich). I'd certainly allow a good margin for the return journey - Karlsruhe could be a bit slow (possibly even jams). Don't forget to pick up a 10-day Vignette (available at last services in Germany before the border - you can't miss the signs).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi, I think he's driving from Frankfurt, not Cork !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
is that saving "each", or between the lot of you?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sorry pam been away for w-end. saving APP 300 per person the way the figures are looking at d mo, aerlingus is the irish airline which flies from cork and the prices for that week are especially expensive as there is a trip organised by a national radio station who do an austria trip that week begining on 23rd jan.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
creedgearoid, 300 pp saved is a big chunk that could be put to another trip. If you have a few drivers you should be fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy